MY NEW TROMMEL PROJECT FOR A FRIEND

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey another nice job. Just one question, is the drum spinning a little to fast? Maybe it was just the vid.

Hefty

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey another nice job. Just one question, is the drum spinning a little to fast? Maybe it was just the vid.

Hefty

Was going to say the same thing. Maybe it'll slow down with some weight inside.

Looks like quality work.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"OK"
You guys just had to make me go check.... I did the math and put it together but I never did a real test after it was done. I think what your seeing is the space between the screens as it turns. It makes it look fast, I tested it and I'm right at 40rpm but I have to agree it does look fast in the video.The last trommel I built I made it with one screen, this one I did diferently and made 4 individual ones.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like pretty good work to me Jog . Cool you building it for the old timer .

You still making that cool horse shoe stuff ? I liked those lamps .

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TAKODA,
Haven't made any for a while now, when I was out of work I had a lot of free time but can't seem to find the time now that I am back to work. If you send me a PM with an email address I will send some picks of what I have made and maybe we could work something out if your interested.

jog

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Jog, I know I'm about a year late but wanted to say that's an awesome trommel you built! Better than any commercial one I've seen. I'm new on here and I've been looking for anything and everything on trommels to get ideas for building mine. Yours tops them all! Do you have any plans posted on here or for sale?

Clay

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Viper, I've tried to get a hold of Jog about his trommel build but no luck. I'm going to build one like his. Here's some info from his post. Hope it helps!

jog said:
Dec 30, 2010 11:50 PM
Re: My trommel build
OK... What I did for the drive gear was found a sprocket big enough that I could cut the center out to fit the screen, then bolted it on to some brackets that are welded to the screen. I found a sprocket at www.surpluscenter.com for my 12" trommel build.
The part # is 1-1980-72 that is a 50 pitch sprocket and the outside diameter is 14.69". I had to cut the center out to the size I needed.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
You should be able to click on the link and it should bring up the video. If not you can go to youtube and hit search and put in Building my second 12" trommel and that will bring it up. His are the two videos of the trommel with no paint and another video with it painted beige. He should have a couple more on there besides those ones.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Wow you have all that? I should come over there and build mine! Lol! I don't have any of that. I have access to a welder but that's about it. So whatever I can't do I'll have to take to a shop. About the only things will be rolling the screen and sheet metal for the trommel drum, making the hopper and the tub under the drum. Oh yeah and cutting the sprocket. The rest will will be easy.

His is like the picture but definitely better! I like how he put the spray bars on the outside on the new trommel. He did that after a big rock broke his pvc spray bar inside the trommel. They're metal and look like aircraft hydraulic lines. Great idea and they're light weight.

Good luck with the trommel and post some pictures.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not responding but have been a liitle busy latley, I will comment on some of your questions in the next day or so.

jog

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jog, I know I'm about a year late but wanted to say that's an awesome trommel you built! Better than any commercial one I've seen. I'm new on here and I've been looking for anything and everything on trommels to get ideas for building mine. Yours tops them all! Do you have any plans posted on here or for sale?

Clay

No plans as of yet, very short on time lately...
Have you looked at the other trommel build that I did for myself? I believe on that thread I give measurments and pretty much most of the info that you will need. It's called my trommel build on TNet and I also have several YouTube videos on both of my trommel builds, just go to YouTube and search jogdredge.That should bring them up. If you have any questions just PM me. Good luck.....

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can make those rocks stay in the drum all day long if I want, just by changing the angle of the the drum. "Yes" the first attempt was two fast but the second one I built for my friend is turning right at 40 RPM and it is a gold grabbing machine. A while back he had a couple of young guys working it and they blew through 342 5 gallon buckets in a day and it didn't skip a beat. They got some great gold.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice build. Mine runs the spray bar through the drum. PICT0194.JPG PICT0193 (500x375).jpg

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I don't think its the spray bars, i think its the trommel drum. He made it different from the first one. It doesn't have one big open screen. Its like taking a drum and cutting 4 or 5 long sections out and welding in screen. So when the drum is turning the water is spraying inside the drum most of the time but not all of the time. So when it turns it sprays through the screen then it sprays on the outside of the drum then the screen then the drum. You get the idea. I believe that's why he doesn't like it. With the drum built the way it is the spray bar should be on the inside. He has another video of the same trommel all done and painted. He shows you how easy it is to take apart. That's when you can see how the trommel drum is made.

I like his idea and will be building mine with the spray bars on the outside. If I find it doesn't work that well then I can easily change it and if I do it will also be metal tubing inside so that it doesn't break like pvc.

I know what you mean about Arizona dirt. I live here too. Its not fun.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I copied the URL for the video but it was the wrong one. Just go to search and put in jogdredge. It will be on there.

Here's a quote from Jog.

"When watching the videos on the two different trommels I made two different types of drums. The one without the oval holes works much better and was easier to make."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread