Does this have Quartz in it?

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this nugget and 2 others in the same spot it weighs 1.4 grams and it has this gray colored stuff mixed in it. I think it might be quartz but I've never seen gray colored quartz before. There's a bunch of veins covering the bottom of the creek where I found it and I haven't seen a vein on any other part of the creek so do you think that it could have come out of one of those veins right there? Or is it to rounded? Does anyone have any advice on how to work a quartz seam? I haven't done that before. Thanks. -N8

IMG_4934.JPG

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is kind of hard to see but it does apear to be quartz. I wouldn't think it came from the vein as it looks like it has traveled some. Working a quartz seam is getting into hardrock mining. That is a different kind of animal. Nice find though.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is kind of hard to see but it does apear to be quartz. I wouldn't think it came from the vein as it looks like it has traveled some. Working a quartz seam is getting into hardrock mining. That is a different kind of animal. Nice find though.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Good post - Ditto.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread