Where Does Gold Come From?

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of you folks that have been prospecting for a lot of years are knowledgeable in geology. I'm a newcomer to prospecting, only been at it for a few months. But I have done a lot of thinking and some reading about geology and how certain minerals or rock originated. We've all heard the story about diamonds and how they are formed from carbon by pressure, heat and time. But does anyone know how gold is formed or how it came to be here on our blue planet?

I've read a couple of "theories" about it. One theory is that it got here via meteorites that hit when the Earth was young. Yet I never hear of anyone finding any recent meteorites with gold in their composition today.

So does anyone here, or does science really know where our gold came from or how it was formed/created?

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I read somewhere that gold is created in a super nova, but I like your definition much better.:thumbsup:

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Just like any other type of metal or element , gold is just part of what the earth is made of. It dont have to come from anywhere , it was just here when it all started . just like silver , iron , aluminum , copper , zinc , platinum , and the list goes on forever. The earth is a big sorter and gathers like items together so we can come along and find it.

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold King double sluce with 3"-4" setup's. homemade frame and pontoons
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold....along with every other element within the universe was originally created in the center of a star. Stars fuel themselves with fusion...taking Hydrogen..smashing it with other hydrogen atoms and creating heaver and heavier elements. Depending on the size of the star depends on how heavy a element it can create..most stars start to die when they start fusing elements into iron. larger stars can survive the Iron fusion and make heavier and heavier elements. and as Oakview ponted out....once the star goes super nova....it "distributes" these elements (Iron, gold, ect) throughout the universe

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a lot of you folks that have been prospecting for a lot of years are knowledgeable in geology. I'm a newcomer to prospecting, only been at it for a few months. But I have done a lot of thinking and some reading about geology and how certain minerals or rock originated. We've all heard the story about diamonds and how they are formed from carbon by pressure, heat and time. But does anyone know how gold is formed or how it came to be here on our blue planet?

I've read a couple of "theories" about it. One theory is that it got here via meteorites that hit when the Earth was young. Yet I never hear of anyone finding any recent meteorites with gold in their composition today.

So does anyone here, or does science really know where our gold came from or how it was formed/created?

It all fell out of my pocket if you find it send it to me:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minerals are broken down in several ways, but the two most common are "Primary" vs "Secondary." Gold is a primary mineral, and is formed directly by the geologic process of circulating superheated water into host rock like quartz, where it cools and forma a primary deposit. Or, you could just tell people the aliens brought it from Aldabaren..

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold....along with every other element within the universe was originally created in the center of a star. Stars fuel themselves with fusion...taking Hydrogen..smashing it with other hydrogen atoms and creating heaver and heavier elements. Depending on the size of the star depends on how heavy a element it can create..most stars start to die when they start fusing elements into iron. larger stars can survive the Iron fusion and make heavier and heavier elements. and as Oakview ponted out....once the star goes super nova....it "distributes" these elements (Iron, gold, ect) throughout the universe
That is debatable. It is also believed that stars only create up to iron in the core and the nova creates the other elements when the stars explode. Helping to explain why we don't see a lot of gold and heavy elements.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Nobody know any of this to be fact , just wild guesses. There are enough elements right here making up mother earth all mingling and intertwined with one another that as far as Im concerned they were just here from the time the earth was either created or formed , whatever your theory of choice is on the procedure. Do we really need to break down every single element and deduct its own special origin ? If this big ball of churning elements spinning in space exists , then its quite possible it all had the same origin and starting point. Just sayin :)

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time when u could be burned at a stake to say the earth revolved around the sun. The earth was the center of everything and everything revolved around it retrogrades and all.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold and all common elements are borne from stars when they supernova. When stars die, the physics are so crazy, iron and gold and any element you can think of are created from simple star stuff like hydrogen. Some asteroids are essentially hunks of gold flying around. You yourself are a product of stuff created in star deaths. I know, its crazy. But true.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Gold and all common elements are borne from stars when they supernova. When stars die, the physics are so crazy, iron and gold and any element you can think of are created from simple star stuff like hydrogen. Some asteroids are essentially hunks of gold flying around. You yourself are a product of stuff created in star deaths. I know, its crazy. But true.

How many alive today were around at the time our gold was created by a supernova ? this is all speculation. Why would some elements be born one way while others born another ? Think about it , why can't they all be born the same way ? Is anybody capable of independent thought ?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have flunked chemistry and mathematics if I stubbornly clung to a Neanderthal belief in alchemy and counted on my fingers and toes. Gold is rare & hydrogen isn't. Hydrogen with One proton and gold with 79. Think about it, remember the power released from a hydrogen atom destroyed Hiroshima ... Yada yada yada. Ignorance is bliss.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your question is "how" did it form in the cosmos.... nobody knows, for sure. Just theory. If your question is how did it form on earth, still, only theory rules. In fact, most geological processes are only theory... only some more plausible than others. (hmmm, I guess that's the definition of a theory!) TTC

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your question is "how" did it form in the cosmos.... nobody knows, for sure. Just theory. If your question is how did it form on earth, still, only theory rules. In fact, most geological processes are only theory... only some more plausible than others. (hmmm, I guess that's the definition of a theory!) TTC
And a theory is simply used until a better one comes along. It is believed the neutrino may travel faster than the speed of light. If that is so than e=mc2, the holy grail of theories implying nothing was faster was wrong. If this makes time travel possible I am taking my detector, batteries, 1911 colt and plenty of ammo to sutters mill 1848. Thus rewriting history and eventually creating the San Francisco 48ers.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is a nobel metal! it came from God! you cant form gold from any combination of elements,like diamonds comeing from organic material!

Actually this is as good as it gets. In the teachings of the I AM there is a being who manipulates energy currents and creates the gold. Gold has vibrations which are uplifting and of noble consciousness.

Behcun

May 9, 2012
Northern Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold can come from three places: the train I just robbed, the pack horse I just stole, or the foreign statesmn I just blackmailed. In terms of ease, these steps rate somewhere between highbanking and suffering through the mistakes of Gold Rush Alaska.

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the "it's just here theory"? Go find it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions