is gold near copper

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Probably not always but it can be. Michigans U.P. has both copper and gold mines. Its the only known place in Michigan where there is actually naturally occuring gold ( not brought in from another area by glaciers ). So there is atleast one example of the two metals being present in the same geology.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very often, yes. AZ is known for gold and also lots of copper mines. If my memory serves me, I think AZ has the largest open-pit copper mine in the lower 48. TTC

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all I was wondering i live in an area that has supposed high amounts of copper, what is the likely hood that I can find gold there as well ? I am thinking of panning one of the streams near me I was just wondering if anyone found gold and copper in the same area
thanks
john
Yes, Gold can be around copper. Usually the more copper the less gold. All the copper mines in AZ have gold as a small percentage. Its sort of a by product.

Gold is more likely around iron. Hence, black sand. Gold also is found on the black sand crystals.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
There are dozens of different ways gold can be deposited and probably dozens of more ways we dont even know about yet. I recommend you doing some research into the geology side of things, it will open up many doors for you and give you a leg up on prospectors that did not do said research.

For example, check out this information on the geology behind ore deposits of Australia, it gives some great information on the different types of deposits. You will see that many of them are copper (Cu) and that not all copper deposits have gold, it depends on the type:

http://crcleme.org.au/RegExpOre/1-oredeposits.pdf

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
" There are dozens of different ways gold can be deposited and probably dozens of more ways we dont even know about yet. I recommend you doing some research into the geology side of things, it will open up many doors for you and give you a leg up on prospectors that did not do said research ".

Good advice from AB . I concur .

OP
OP
C

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you everyone for the replies I appriciate it a lot .
thanks john

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
In Colorado, I am always on the lookout for chalcopyrite - it is a very heavy rock for its size, and often has a yellowish/orangeish metallic look to it in places. Pyrites that are very cubic in shape tend to be less interesting than pyrites that have few (if any) sharp edges. If there is gold in the sample, its most likely in the rusty areas on your sample. Regular copper veins tend to look green - there are many copper/gold veins (Quartz has little to do with this type of lode area) - usually far more copper than gold in any sample.

Borrowed from another Website:

Gold is classified as a "chalcophile", which means that gold has an affinity for sulphur. However, there are no known combinations with sulphur, but several with elements that are related to sulphur, such as tellurium, (known as telluride) and selenium. Because of this relationship with sulphur, you will find gold associated with chalcopyrite, which is a combination of iron pyrite and copper. Since Gold loves copper so much, all of these elements are often found together in varying amounts.

gpg

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very often, yes. AZ is known for gold and also lots of copper mines. If my memory serves me, I think AZ has the largest open-pit copper mine in the lower 48. TTC

Here I sit, right next to that BIG copper mine. Lots of old gold and silver mines around. Literally around the copper deposit, in this type of porphory(sp?) deposit the gold and silver is usually on the edges, or on top, although it is a byproduct throughout. Lots of iron around in spots also, hematite mostly, gossan deposits were gone after first for the gold and silver content in oxides. Earthy hematite veins in silicieous fissure veins. Was in one such yesterday, silver mine, our find was an amethyst vein and two dead rattlesnakes that had fallen through stopes that went to the surface. About 250 yards in, hate rattlesnakes after getting surprised by so many but kind of felt sorry for those two dieing in the dark and cold, was 60 some degrees in that mine even though 90 outside. Nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread