Gunnison,co

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider the area near St. Elmo (and and streams near Taylor lake). There are a lot of old mine dumps in that vicinity, but you will find mostly Galena/Silver Ore in them.

There was also a dredge area near St Elmo that never did well and was abandoned in the 1930's (gold was worth a lot less then). Keep in mind that you will need to get near bedrock - which could be 15 feet or deeper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azmike81

Azmike81

May 18, 2012
jmoller99 said:
Consider the area near St. Elmo (and and streams near Taylor lake). There are a lot of old mine dumps in that vicinity, but you will find mostly Galena/Silver Ore in them.

There was also a dredge area near St Elmo that never did well and was abandoned in the 1930's (gold was worth a lot less then). Keep in mind that you will need to get near near bedrock - which could be 15 feet or deeper.

Well that is a lot of digging more than likely that is on USFS land and don't thing they would approve of that you think

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can as long as
- it is unclaimed (by other miners)
- you fill your holes as you go

OP
OP
Azmike81

Azmike81

May 18, 2012
KevinInColorado said:
You can as long as