Dirty quartz with gold ( pic )

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I made a good find today when I took my son for a hike through some ravines near where I pan for gold. I havent found any free form gold in this particular ravine yet but I took my stuff in a backpack in case I had a chance to do some panning. We stopped and while he was eating a snack I got out my hand shovel and pan and did some quick panning in the little stream flowing out the ravine and in the second pan I spot this chunk of dirty quartz and something told me to take a closer look. I rinsed the clay off and right away some gold flecks caught my eye. I havent yet determined 100% that its gold yet but when poking at it with a needle it donk crack and come apart like mica does , that and the ugly quartz its in makes me pretty sure its gold. There is some visible on the surface but looking at it in the bright sunlight I can see there may be gold mixed all through it. Its a lucky find since I doubted Id find anything today. Im not sure what to do with it yet but I may try to sell it as is if I found a buyer for it , if not I will probably crush it and get all the gold I can out of it. Heres a pic , though I had to reduce its size and I dont know how good it will be afterward. Its about as big around as a silver dollar. goldquartz2 (600 x 518).jpg

Upvote 0

tommcd

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2012
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
White's v3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd bet it's gold. Gold is most commonly found in quartz veins.

Maddog419

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think if it was me, that ravine and me would become best friends...Looks like gold to me in it,,,I would get more detailed maps on the area and start with some google earth maps online...
Time to do some hard rock mining also...I'm sure that piece would make my metal dect go off,,,so you might want to go back there and use one...
I would tell no one also about my find and I would be checking on putting a claim on the land right away...

Gl and keep us update on it...

OP
OP
O

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Well I guess I jumped the gun a little bit by saying it was gold. Based on the quartz and the soft malleability of the gold colored material I was convinced. I had a jeweler test it and it was negative for gold. Oh well , I crushed it all up with a hammer and Im gonna include it in one of my smelts just in case there is atleast a little tied up in there somewhere. Sorry folks , next time I will have it tested first :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread