formalahyde [formalin] any chemists out there?

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:skullflag:
hi all
I have a friend who has made some soap, she mixed castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, lye, silk anino acid, aloveria extract .
she also mixed in 1/2 pound of clay to make 50 bars of soap, she had a test done and found it had 2% formalin in it.:icon_scratch:
???
does any one know where the formalin could have come from.
would it have been in the clay or could she have made it by adding this stuff together.
:happysmiley:

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMBALMING FLUID TOXIC AS ll IN MINISCULE AMOUNTS-GOVERNMENT JUST SETTLED MASSIVE LAWSUIT OVER IT IN PLYWOOD FROM CHINA WHICH MADE TRAILERS FROM FEMA--NOT GOOD AND NEVER USE ANY OF THAT SOAP-John

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks John my big question is , where did it come from?. she used about half pound of clay for 12 pounds of soap. I am going to get my clay tested for formalin, but that will take time and will cost $250. i do have a assay on just the clay that shows .20% carbon. but not sure if that means any thing. i have big orders for the clay as a cosmetic product and this could kill it. better to kill the orders then ti kill the users.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:skullflag:
hi all
I have a friend who has made some soap, she mixed castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, lye, silk anino acid, aloveria extract .
she also mixed in 1/2 pound of clay to make 50 bars of soap, she had a test done and found it had 2% formalin in it.:icon_scratch:
???
does any one know where the formalin could have come from.
would it have been in the clay or could she have made it by adding this stuff together.
:happysmiley:

The formalin may have been used in the alovera extract or the silk anini acid. Very doubtful it was in the clay. Also castor oil is a posibility depending on it purity. If it was food grade very likely ok.

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The formalin may have been used in the alovera extract or the silk anini acid. Very doubtful it was in the clay. Also castor oil is a posibility depending on it purity. If it was food grade very likely ok.

thanks GF
I really hope you are right, i have a spa line who wants the clay, they want only 50 kilos to start with but within 6 months they want to be buying 8000 pounds every 6 weeks. i really dont want to be selling poison.

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to have the recipe I made some goats milk soap the other day . You need to wait 2 months for the soap to cure maybe that had something to do with it?

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:OKIE
Not sure if you want the recipe for toxic soap.lol

??? anyone know if the formaldahyde can be extracted from the clay.
if there is in fact formalin in the clay.
:icon_scratch:i am having it tested, will know in a few weeks.
cherrio :icon_thumright:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grandma used lye soap for our clothes in the 1950s.
Never cussed enough to get my mouth washed out though.
Grey

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GF , I had the soap maker smell all the products she put in the soap, she said the alovera had a very pungent smell. she also said the bottle said "do not ingest or get in eyes."
i also got a call from the company testing it, they said i sent it in a plastic bag and the formaldehyde may have leaked out, said its like gas and evaporates very fast. this is a good thing. :laughing7:

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i finally got the test results back, turns out there is .337 mg/kg of formaldahyde
in the clay. :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread