HAS ANYONE CHECKED THE GRAVEL REMOVED FROM ROAD FLOOD PROJECTS?

gnatnutz

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
concrete/ skagit valley/ wa. state
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone checked out your local sand and gravel companies? I talked to a guy I know about how they process this gravel and dirt. He said that sometimes it comes from a private pit or it could come from a hydraulics permit where river or stream gravel is causing a flooding problem close to a road or community and requires removal of the gravel material. Usually they haul it somewhere and pile it up. While at this particular operation, I noticed that in their separation process they have a lot of black sand that they just pile up and discard. Hmmmm! I guess one could ask their local county truck drivers where they take these stream removal gravels and dump them. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I've checked out gravel from a lot of spots on the road, and also in gravel pits. Took some poaaibles to my buddy and he scratch tested the minute sample and said it was gold. Problem was it was found in hardrock, and all pits are owned, one way or the next. I figured if I asked to look around, I'd end up spending hours and hours in a rock pit, not out n the alaskan wilderness panning, where I want to be!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a guy who gets good gold from a gravel supply company this way. Definitely worth pursuing!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
They took up gravel in front of the Post Office in Victor Colorado (next door to Cripple Creek) in the 1960's and processed it to repair the roof of the Victor Post Office building - The got around $8000 in Gold ($32 per ounce in those days). I guess it all depends on where your gravel came from. There are still lots of open gravel roads in Cripple Creek and Victor, with gravel acquired from the same place. It might be worth a look the next time you happen to be there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At Vic's Gold Panning near Blackhawk CO there is a parking lot just uphill from the panning area which was built with dirt scraped from the streets of Central City before they were paved. I ran about 6 gallons of it thru my sluice and found a little gold...good fun!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading about someone that went to a public pan area and they had repaved the parking lot. As everyone headed down to the stream, he classified material from around the work area.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dear old friend RIP Irwin Lee(MR Fisher rep) found a massive white quartz boulder down a road improvement project right on HiWay 49 at the Mocassin Creek electric station. Acid etched out over 37 ozs and it was righteous--will look for pics as we shared a booth at the Western Mining Council show in Sonora back in about 85 or so-John

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone checked out your local sand and gravel companies? I talked to a guy I know about how they process this gravel and dirt. He said that sometimes it comes from a private pit or it could come from a hydraulics permit where river or stream gravel is causing a flooding problem close to a road or community and requires removal of the gravel material. Usually they haul it somewhere and pile it up. While at this particular operation, I noticed that in their separation process they have a lot of black sand that they just pile up and discard. Hmmmm! I guess one could ask their local county truck drivers where they take these stream removal gravels and dump them. Just a thought.

Fantastic idea. Never thought of it here in Texas because Sand Creek near Llano is about our only gold source and it is powder. Unless you believe the legends of west Texas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread