Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
    19 times
    Metal Detecting

Getting paydirt in CO

My family and I are heading to Breckenridge next week. I plan on getting out and mding some. I would also like to bring back 10-15 gallons of dirt to pan. I am not familiar with the area and I would like to get some help with a decent location.

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    I am looking at a few old mine sites west of highway 9 south of breckenridge. Anybody spent much time in the area?

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    101 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    Those areas are claimed. Instead, look to areas near Clear Creek.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Is 5 accessible by mini van? I was looking at Lincoln Lake area. Public prospecting?

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Lincoln Lake looks like an old tailing pond. Or am I out in left field?

Sep 2003
    Colorado
    8 times
    Along the Blue River and French Gulch is good.

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ken, pardon my ignorance but is somwhere like Blue lake open to panning. I can only devote about a half a day to detecting and retrieving my dirt so I want to have a few places in mind. I also have to include time to hike in/out from the road.

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Diablo II "Gold Demon", Whites GMT, TreasureMaster PI 3000, Falcon MD20, Vibraprobe
    185 times
    Prospecting
    Theres a public prospecting/camping area at the Wellsville/Texas Creek area on the Arkansas River. Also as stated above, Clear Creek on Highway 9 just above Golden, CO. It might be worthwhile for you to join the Gold Prospectors Association of America($67, you get a mining guide for claims in most states) or the Gold Prospectors of Colorado($18). Both clubs have accssable claims via minivan in CO.
    Last weekend I spent a total of four hours at Clear Creek above Golden, and I got about 3/4 of a five gallon bucket of black sand con's. It's a good area, very accessable.
    Last edited by nuggetshooter323; Jun 26, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

us
    Bazooka Goldtrap enthusiast

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Sluices: Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluice (retired!), Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, occasional gold cube
    1704 times
    Prospecting
    You can also try Clear Creek downstream from Golden - the area west of Youngfield St. for about 1/2 mile is busy with recreational prospectors most days!
    ...it is too about havin' the gold!

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you guys for the information. Does anyone have plans for a trip next week?

us
    Bazooka Goldtrap enthusiast

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Sluices: Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluice (retired!), Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, occasional gold cube
    1704 times
    Prospecting
    Since you are coming in from Kansas, I should highlight that the Youngsfield site is right at the Youngfield exit off of I-70...it is right on the way for you!!
    ...it is too about havin' the gold!

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just arrived in Breckinridge. Looking forward to a week here. I saw the Youngfield location on the way in. It's pretty much in town. I also noticed a bunch of activity in the Clear Creek area.. Should be fun!

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well we headed for Fairplay today. Didnt find anything but I did manage to get about 5 lbs of dirt from a couple different areas. The sluicers were out and pulling in some color. I think we may have been working too fast. I also think a smaller classifier is in the near future!

Sponsors