steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at a few old mine sites west of highway 9 south of breckenridge. Anybody spent much time in the area?

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is 5 accessible by mini van? I was looking at Lincoln Lake area. Public prospecting?

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lincoln Lake looks like an old tailing pond. Or am I out in left field?

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken, pardon my ignorance but is somwhere like Blue lake open to panning. I can only devote about a half a day to detecting and retrieving my dirt so I want to have a few places in mind. I also have to include time to hike in/out from the road.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres a public prospecting/camping area at the Wellsville/Texas Creek area on the Arkansas River. Also as stated above, Clear Creek on Highway 9 just above Golden, CO. It might be worthwhile for you to join the Gold Prospectors Association of America($67, you get a mining guide for claims in most states) or the Gold Prospectors of Colorado($18). Both clubs have accssable claims via minivan in CO.
Last weekend I spent a total of four hours at Clear Creek above Golden, and I got about 3/4 of a five gallon bucket of black sand con's. It's a good area, very accessable.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also try Clear Creek downstream from Golden - the area west of Youngfield St. for about 1/2 mile is busy with recreational prospectors most days!

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for the information. Does anyone have plans for a trip next week?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since you are coming in from Kansas, I should highlight that the Youngsfield site is right at the Youngfield exit off of I-70...it is right on the way for you!!

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just arrived in Breckinridge. Looking forward to a week here. I saw the Youngfield location on the way in. It's pretty much in town. I also noticed a bunch of activity in the Clear Creek area.. Should be fun!

OP
OP
steveouke

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well we headed for Fairplay today. Didnt find anything but I did manage to get about 5 lbs of dirt from a couple different areas. The sluicers were out and pulling in some color. I think we may have been working too fast. I also think a smaller classifier is in the near future!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread