Looking for gold in Pennsylvania

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and to prospecting (Lol, so far it's just been panning online bought "paydirt). I have recently read there's small amounts of gold in Pennsylvania (supposedly near upper York county) but I have no clue how to go about getting permissions/permits etc., let alone going out to actually find the stuff. Even panning through small amounts of paydirt, I know this is something I'm interested in... I don't expect to get rich (I'm pretty sure I'll most likely lose money) but I get a thrill sifting through a little black sand at the bottom of my pan... I only know how happy I'd be to actually go out and find some without having to buy "paydirt" online (I think it's cheating).
Anyways... Anyone from PA (or anywhere else) out there that could offer any advice for a "newbie prospector" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

chimmy

Greenie
Jul 14, 2012
carbon county pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter but realy looking to upgrade
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
p.s. we like going on weekends if im not working bringyour pans and sluice box and get ready to get wet

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though the GPAA doesn't own claims in PA, that doesn't mean that they don't find gold in PA. The Bald Eagle GPAA has outing every couple of months to places where they have recovered gold. You just cannot obtain a mining claim in any of these places. We found some color on the Sinnemahoning this summer. Nuggets have been found in Pennfield in Clearfield County.

[FONT=&quot]GOLD SITES FROM THE INTERNET

1. Wind Gap, Pa. If you get to see this place, It sticks out like a sore thumb, Its just so much rock and water in the area. Also lots of public land and access to the water area. This has been known to have reported Gold Occurrences since 1828-1829 Pennsylvania Geologic survey, and Gold was removed by many prospectors back then
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
2. Knuckle Town, Pa. Gold was first found here in a Paint Ore Mine around the time of the Civil War. Today one can still find it along the Appalachian trail plenty of public land both state and federal.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
3. Reading,Pa. Gold has also been found out and around the reading area in the lower part of the state being the gold was associated with the iron.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
4. Stony Brook Creek (Tunkhannock Area) finds being reported
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
5. Messhoppen Creek (Tunkhannock Area) finds being reported
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
6. The old lead mine behind Lake Carey, Check this out on the courthouse map in Tunkhannock bring your Camera, map is 6foot by 10 foot
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
7. Wyalusing,Pa. Nugget found behind Wyalusing Hotel, reported by motel owner, nugget found by a new-york fisherman.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
8. Noxen,Pa. A man called and stated small forms of gold was found on his farm in that area and was asking me, what should he do with it!!!!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
9. Cordus State Park, A gold prospector reported to me that he found Gold dust and Pin head gold nuggets in and also outside the park in a creek.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
10 The Kress Gold Mine, near Sweden Valley off of route6 one of three commercial gold mines in the state, needs no explanation.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
11. Swarata Creek, Near Harrisburg,Pa Well known for gold deposits for many years
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
12. The New Albany Gold Mine (located outside of New Albany, Pa.) on route 220 heading south less than 3 miles outside this village.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] On 6/20/96 Miss Judy Drake and myself did some prospecting, one mile north of town, near the school bus turn around and the old railroad bridge, we exactly didn't get rich but fine gold did show up in the pan. This place has easy access, being its either railroad property or township property. If you get a chance, its worth a days outing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
13 The Three Brothers Gold Mine(True name, was never picked by these brothers) It is located across highway 220 some distance from the New Albany Gold Mine <in the same area as mentioned in 12>
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:

shinkus

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2011
do you still goto Lizard Creek. And if so can you give me a general location to go. I am from Schuylkill county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions