Looking for gold in Pennsylvania

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and to prospecting (Lol, so far it's just been panning online bought "paydirt). I have recently read there's small amounts of gold in Pennsylvania (supposedly near upper York county) but I have no clue how to go about getting permissions/permits etc., let alone going out to actually find the stuff. Even panning through small amounts of paydirt, I know this is something I'm interested in... I don't expect to get rich (I'm pretty sure I'll most likely lose money) but I get a thrill sifting through a little black sand at the bottom of my pan... I only know how happy I'd be to actually go out and find some without having to buy "paydirt" online (I think it's cheating).
Anyways... Anyone from PA (or anywhere else) out there that could offer any advice for a "newbie prospector" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Oct4ne,

I'm in the same position as you. Although I've hunted treasure all of my life I had never prospected for gold. I recently joined the Gold Panning Association of America (GPAA) They are nationwide and have claims all over the country for you to pan. You have to be a member to get onto their claims and there are many local clubs. I joined the Bald Eagle Club in Central Pa. You'll get a book from them that tells where their claims are plus the Gold Prospectors Magazine, a gold pan and a lot of other stuff. It's well worth the money just to have the opportunity to meet some people who really know what they are doing.

I've never bought "pay dirt". Did you actually find anything in it?

I do know that gold has been found in Penfield, Pa. Just out the road from DuBois. However it's in a layer of glacial till (gravel) that is down deep and on private property that requires a dredge. It's not in the stream as the rumors would have you believe and only the GPAA has access to this area. Gold has also been recovered in Lancaster and York Counties. Do a Google search on Gold Locations in Pennsylvania and you'll come up with a few locations.

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been gold found along the Susquehanna river. We have a lot of ore here I was under the belief that where there is iron ore and quartz there is gold. I would contact the property owners and ask them if it is owned by the state apply for a permit.

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive been considering a GPAA membership, but I think you just made up my mind. Thanks for the advice guys, it is really appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

Wickedwrx

Dec 29, 2011
Southeast, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another GPAA member here in SE Penn! I belong to the Delaware valley chapter of the GPAA we cover mostly Berks and Chester countys. Go for the membership my son and I love it!

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If any of you guys ever want to get together and show me the right way to search for gold, classify etc. Just message me. Driving wouldn't be a problem... It would be nice to get to go out and actually find some gold (regardless if its just flakes). Lol... I have a field day going through ebay bought paydirt, so I know I would enjoy learning how to find it myself.

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well lorddean, I just got my GPAA membership, and excited to get the claims book in the mail. I can wait to get out there and try to find some gold. I not getting my hopes too high, but even finding a trace amount would make my day. Again, anyone that wants to get together and show me some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Email me at [email protected].

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow PA folks,

The following is from a well known geologist in the Southern PA area who knows his stuff. If you've done googling for gold in PA you will find plenty of articles from him. We have not tried this area yet and it is close to our home near Shrewsbury and thought I would pass it along:

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:59 PM
To: Adcock, Steve
Subject: Re: Question

Muddy Creek is good from Pa. RTe. 74 to the river. Peters Creek is good in the final 2 miles of the Susquehanna River. Make sure you talk to the property owners about permission to pan.

Jeri Jones

If anyone is interested in a small prospecting expedition let me know. Deer Creek is nearby and suppose to be as good.

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you know where any of these places are, I'd be more than happy to go with you. Just shoot me an email ([email protected]) and let me know how you'd like to go about planning a day to go.

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently joined the GPAA, and now just awaiting their claims that book. I'm most likely going to look for a claim in northern Virginia, or eastern Pennsylvania. I have a couple friends from work that are interested in going with me... But it'd be nice to have someone there that knew what they were doing. If there is anyone out there interested in tagging along, or have any advice to give... Let me know. Our trip is planned for Aug. 12th.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently joined the GPAA, and now just awaiting their claims that book. I'm most likely going to look for a claim in northern Virginia, or eastern Pennsylvania. I have a couple friends from work that are interested in going with me... But it'd be nice to have someone there that knew what they were doing. If there is anyone out there interested in tagging along, or have any advice to give... Let me know. Our trip is planned for Aug. 12th.

It doesnt look like they have any claims in Virginia or in Pennsylvania.

https://www.goldprospectors.org/Membership/MiningGuide/tabid/108/Default.aspx

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sucks. Is that the new mining guide???

I'm not sure if it's the new guide but the map doesn't show any locations in VA or PA.

I can send you some locations from the USGS in VA & PA that tested positive for gold but most if not all are on private property. You would need to get permission.

Where in PA are you? I'm in NJ in Wildwood. I've gotten gold right here in Cape May County from USGS soil sample reports.

These are VA, NC & SC locations. The X's are old gold mines, the other markers are soil/sediment samples that contain gold. I'm making a site & android app that will show locations and reports from every gold bearing State.

Attachments

• gold-.jpg
    gold-.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 5,301

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Im not completely positive but I think any gold found in Pa. is glacial. Look up glaciation maps of the state and that will give you a general idea of where you need to go to find gold. Then hunt down glacial moraines and rivers/streams running through or beside them , pay attention to the type of rocks you see in the gravel , you are looking for a mix of a bunch of different kinds and a lot that dont appear to be typical of the area. You start seeing quartz and green or red colored stones you are probably in the right area , these stones make up a lot of glacial debris. This is where you find the gold.

OP
OP
High Oct4ne

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've pretty much come to terms with the fact in order to find something in my pan, I'd be better off going out-of-state. If anyone out there from Ohio, Maryland or West Virginia would be interested in getting together for a day to dig (or could point me in the direction of someone who might be), let me know. I would appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thanks!!!

chimmy

Greenie
Jul 14, 2012
carbon county pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter but realy looking to upgrade
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold.JPG my family and i have found gold on the lizard creek near bowmanstown pa. we just started doing it last year and it is hit and miss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread