Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting

Looking for gold in Pennsylvania

Hello all. I'm new to the forums and to prospecting (Lol, so far it's just been panning online bought "paydirt). I have recently read there's small amounts of gold in Pennsylvania (supposedly near upper York county) but I have no clue how to go about getting permissions/permits etc., let alone going out to actually find the stuff. Even panning through small amounts of paydirt, I know this is something I'm interested in... I don't expect to get rich (I'm pretty sure I'll most likely lose money) but I get a thrill sifting through a little black sand at the bottom of my pan... I only know how happy I'd be to actually go out and find some without having to buy "paydirt" online (I think it's cheating).
    Anyways... Anyone from PA (or anywhere else) out there that could offer any advice for a "newbie prospector" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none
    Hello Oct4ne,

I'm in the same position as you. Although I've hunted treasure all of my life I had never prospected for gold. I recently joined the Gold Panning Association of America (GPAA) They are nationwide and have claims all over the country for you to pan. You have to be a member to get onto their claims and there are many local clubs. I joined the Bald Eagle Club in Central Pa. You'll get a book from them that tells where their claims are plus the Gold Prospectors Magazine, a gold pan and a lot of other stuff. It's well worth the money just to have the opportunity to meet some people who really know what they are doing.

I've never bought "pay dirt". Did you actually find anything in it?

I do know that gold has been found in Penfield, Pa. Just out the road from DuBois. However it's in a layer of glacial till (gravel) that is down deep and on private property that requires a dredge. It's not in the stream as the rumors would have you believe and only the GPAA has access to this area. Gold has also been recovered in Lancaster and York Counties. Do a Google search on Gold Locations in Pennsylvania and you'll come up with a few locations.

us
    Dave

Jun 2012
    Reading PA
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    There has been gold found along the Susquehanna river. We have a lot of ore here I was under the belief that where there is iron ore and quartz there is gold. I would contact the property owners and ask them if it is owned by the state apply for a permit.
    Originally Posted by SEPaMan: His fortune is not in gold, silver, jewels, or metals, but in history, legend, dreams, and above all the thrill of the hunt.

[CENTER]“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”- Mark Twain /CENTER]

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Ive been considering a GPAA membership, but I think you just made up my mind. Thanks for the advice guys, it is really appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

us
    Dec 2011
    Southeast, PA
    Whites
    9 times
    Another GPAA member here in SE Penn! I belong to the Delaware valley chapter of the GPAA we cover mostly Berks and Chester countys. Go for the membership my son and I love it!

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    If any of you guys ever want to get together and show me the right way to search for gold, classify etc. Just message me. Driving wouldn't be a problem... It would be nice to get to go out and actually find some gold (regardless if its just flakes). Lol... I have a field day going through ebay bought paydirt, so I know I would enjoy learning how to find it myself.

us
    Dec 2011
    Southeast, PA
    Whites
    9 times
    Where are you located?

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Johnstown, PA. Its about 4 hours from philly.

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Well lorddean, I just got my GPAA membership, and excited to get the claims book in the mail. I can wait to get out there and try to find some gold. I not getting my hopes too high, but even finding a trace amount would make my day. Again, anyone that wants to get together and show me some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Email me at HighOct4ne@comcast.net.

us
    Dave

Jun 2012
    Reading PA
    18 times
    Congrats, I hope you find some gold. I looked at this site that has where gold is found.
    Originally Posted by SEPaMan: His fortune is not in gold, silver, jewels, or metals, but in history, legend, dreams, and above all the thrill of the hunt.

[CENTER]“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”- Mark Twain /CENTER]

Jul 2012
    Hello fellow PA folks,

The following is from a well known geologist in the Southern PA area who knows his stuff. If you've done googling for gold in PA you will find plenty of articles from him. We have not tried this area yet and it is close to our home near Shrewsbury and thought I would pass it along:

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:59 PM
    To: Adcock, Steve
    Subject: Re: Question

Muddy Creek is good from Pa. RTe. 74 to the river. Peters Creek is good in the final 2 miles of the Susquehanna River. Make sure you talk to the property owners about permission to pan.

Jeri Jones

If anyone is interested in a small prospecting expedition let me know. Deer Creek is nearby and suppose to be as good.

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    If you know where any of these places are, I'd be more than happy to go with you. Just shoot me an email (HighOct4ne@comcast.net) and let me know how you'd like to go about planning a day to go.

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    You can try here...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...46c988ed&msa=0

This is shown on the GPAA android App as a public panning site.
    Research is more important than detector but Positive Thinking & The Laws of Attraction Rule!
    Think Gold get Gold! Think canslaw get canslaw and other garbage!

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    I recently joined the GPAA, and now just awaiting their claims that book. I'm most likely going to look for a claim in northern Virginia, or eastern Pennsylvania. I have a couple friends from work that are interested in going with me... But it'd be nice to have someone there that knew what they were doing. If there is anyone out there interested in tagging along, or have any advice to give... Let me know. Our trip is planned for Aug. 12th.

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by High Oct4ne View Post
    I recently joined the GPAA, and now just awaiting their claims that book. I'm most likely going to look for a claim in northern Virginia, or eastern Pennsylvania. I have a couple friends from work that are interested in going with me... But it'd be nice to have someone there that knew what they were doing. If there is anyone out there interested in tagging along, or have any advice to give... Let me know. Our trip is planned for Aug. 12th.

It doesnt look like they have any claims in Virginia or in Pennsylvania.

https://www.goldprospectors.org/Memb...8/Default.aspx
    Research is more important than detector but Positive Thinking & The Laws of Attraction Rule!
    Think Gold get Gold! Think canslaw get canslaw and other garbage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links