Help: Is there gold in the Cullasaja River near Gold Mine Rd. in Highlands, NC

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm heading up to Highlands for the 4th and am trying to decide whether to take a sluice, pans & shovel or a reel, rods & flies....

Have a place lined up a little downstream from Cullasaja Falls on the Cullasaja River between Highlands and Franklin. While perusing the maps, I noticed that the waterfalls are just downstream from Gold Mine Rd.

Gold Mine Road runs along Gold Mine Branch and leads to an area marked "Gold Mine" on the USGS topo so I assume there was or is a gold mine in the area, but I can't find any info whatsoever on gold in the area or whether it can be found in the river.

I thought I had a pretty comprehensive amount of mining data from the web bookmarked, but the closest data I have found for any mining activity with gold involved is that there was a trace of gold found in zinc/sulfur/copper ore at the B.C. Munday Prospect located 2 or 3 miles east.
Nowhere can I find any info on panning/sluicing/dredging for anything but gems in the area.

Can anyone help?
Do you know anything about this gold mine?
Is there placer gold in the Cullasaja River?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
I have often wondered the same thing. Obviously with the name, there had to be one at some point in the past. I do know there is no mine now. The water in the Cullasaja is pretty swift through there...so I wonder if there was a mine off the road somewhere. I have never heard of anyone finding anything in the river, but most people wouldn't talk about it if they did.

My wife is originally from Franklin, and I usually visit there 2-3 times a year.

If you want to see a very good scenic view....It is located not far from there. If you get off Hwy 64 onto Goldmine Road...take a left onto Dendy Orchard Rd....you will leave payment and go onto a gravel road....Look for a turn to the right and a sign saying the Bertram Trail. This road is state maintained, but does have a couple of rough spots on turns. It does not require a four wheel drive but I wouldn't carry a weak car or low-riding vehicle. This road leads to the top of the mountain. It winds for a ways, and a steady climb but not extremely steep. The worst part is in the first 3 turns. When you get to the end of the road, get out of your vehicle and pass the Bertram Trail Marker that says Jones Knob. There is a foot trail that leads down into the woods. You will go about 100 yards and you will come out on a rock escarpment. From there you can look down into the national park....virtually no civilization visible. It's a great spot...When the weather is right I can sit there for hours and just watch and smell the fresh air. I have seen eagles fly below me from that perch.

If you do decide to pan for gold in the creek, I would love to know if you find anything. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks

At the minimum, I'll take a pan along & will let you know if I find anything

update: 7/9
I carried my pan & a gutter sluice, but never even got them wet

Last edited:

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Santo,
I have a close friend that is from Franklin. Your wife and her might just know each other. I've only been out that way once and it is extremely beautiful. I have heard that there is gold in that river and the one it dumps into just outside of Franklin. I've also heard of gold being found east of Cashiers in creeks, but no details.
There is a guy I know from the internet that lives in Bryson City and he finds some REALLY nice gold, garnets and rubies. He even sells his cons on facebook.
Would love to chat with you sometime and maybe meet up when I do get the chance to come out there to visit.
Regards, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread