Wanted..Gold prospecting buddy in Northern Utah

W

wally62us

Me and my wife are pretty new as well. First time out found a little gold just panning. The more the merrier. We just bought a keene sluice. So have very little knowledge. But if you would like to go, let us know. We pan up in cache valley area.

valuepit2

Jul 16, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab X terror 70 !!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am here in Sandy UT! Prospecting mostly in the Uinthas!

OP
OP
C

crazydazy

Jun 30, 2012
Plain City, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am in the Ogden area, but will travel where ever the gold is. I know pretty much what I'm doing..I just want somebody to go with and I will not mess with the Rhoades mine! Too scarry

aaarld

Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys

I am in the Ogden area, but will travel where ever the gold is. I know pretty much what I'm doing..I just want somebody to go with and I will not mess with the Rhoades mine! Too scarry

I am in Ogden up for some winter time prospecting if anyone is down:D Let me know...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am based in CO but will be in SLC for a weekend in may and a week around Independence Day. I would love to meet up either time in Northern Utah, probably that first week in July would be best as I can bring my Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector or Angus Mackirk Expedition then (driving over). I would really like to get a small sample of Utah gold to add to the gold I am gathering to make a ring for my wife (since her folks live in SLC)... And would love to meet fellow prospectors too!

If you are up for taking me to your second favorite spot*, please send me a private message or we could organize a group thing via this thread.

* I assume your first favorite spot might be your little secret!!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Clinton looking for someone to prospect with. I have everything I need, pans, shovel, Angus Mackirk Expedition Sluice, bucket, etc.

alex801

Jun 17, 2013
Lookinh for prospecting buddy to go up american fork canyon . Please let me know if interrested.

Clownfish

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-Kevin
I just want you to know your posts are cool, I have been reading them because I have an Expedition and I'm looking into a bazooka and Utah has very fine gold, at least what I have researched and found is. I know this post is almost a year old but how often are you out in SLC? Also did you ever find enough gold for your wife's ring last year? I'm new to all this but i have got some gold.

-Alex
I've gone up AF canyon up Mary Ellen Gulch, have you been up there? Do you plan on going there this year?

-valuepit2
Have you had much luck in the Uintahs? I have tried the canyon up by Smith and Moorehouse with 0 success. Maybe I should try the Weber instead.

-Anyone
Has anyone tried a bazooka around here with success, the gold is so fine that I have found I would be concerned it would blow out of the box.

Thanks,
Brandon Peterson
Beginner Prospecter(2013 was first year)

Attachments

• 20131026_195042.jpg
    20131026_195042.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 20131115_230723.jpg
    20131115_230723.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 235

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clownfish

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response Lanny, Yeah I went pretty far up Mary Ellen Gulch almost to the mine im pretty sure...
I haven't tried Further East than that though.

Brandon

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Brandon, Thanks for the encouragement :) on my posting habits...

Yes, I did get the ring made, I gave it to her on a special vacation trip in early November and she just loves it! I think I posted pics of it on here back in October.

I would strongly suggest the Bazooka Products for fine gold, they do a great job on the -50 mesh and smaller gold. We have a lot of that here in Metro Denver too. The fluid bed design does really well with fine gold and their products are quite well built. They've been a real game changer for a lot of prospectors here on tnet in recent years.

My in-laws live in the eastern foothills of SLC so I get over there a couple/few times a year. More these days since they can't travel as much to see us due to their advancing age (late 70's). I haven't done any prospecting in Utah yet but my sister-in-law found a really great book for me called A Guide to Gold Panning in Utah by Alan J. Chenworth. Definitely worth tracking down to give you lots of ideas on where to look. Here's the table of contents to give you a sense of the scope of it: image-2596781816.jpg

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Brandon, Thanks for the encouragement :) on my posting habits...

Yes, I did get the ring made, I gave it to her on a special vacation trip in early November and she just loves it! I think I posted pics of it on here back in October.

I would strongly suggest the Bazooka Products for fine gold, they do a great job on the -50 mesh and smaller gold. We have a lot of that here in Metro Denver too. The fluid bed design does really well with fine gold and their products are quite well built. They've been a real game changer for a lot of prospectors here on tnet in recent years.

My in-laws live in the eastern foothills of SLC so I get over there a couple/few times a year. More these days since they can't travel as much to see us due to their advancing age (late 70's). I haven't done any prospecting in Utah yet but my sister-in-law found a really great book for me called A Guide to Gold Panning in Utah by Alan J. Chenworth. Definitely worth tracking down to give you lots of ideas on where to look. Here's the table of contents to give you a sense of the scope of it: View attachment 938931

Nice tip Kevin!

All the best,

Lanny

Ether

Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these posts look old, but I just got into the hobby. I'm from around SLC, would like to find a partner. Let me know!

stephen583

Jan 30, 2017
610 South 900 West Riverside Apts. #108
Detector(s) used
dowser (rods) and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I've found with books on gold prospecting, is that they are almost without exception too general to be of any use whatsoever. A county is a pretty big area, creeks and rivers (especially) can cover several dozen of miles in a county. I can't say I've had much luck joining clubs and panning on club claims either. Books and club memberships are IMHO usually a total waste of time and money.. unless of course you are just a complete novice.

One source of great information everyone else overlooks are retirement homes. Just walk in an announce, "Anybody here ever done any gold panning" ?!.. These ole' timers know the home is their "last stop".. before "The Big Dirt Nap" ! If they know, they'll tell you exactly where to go, which side of the creek to dig on, and how much you can expect to find right down to the penny.

I used this strategy in Texas, and was directed to Wild Horse Canyon in Big Springs where a Wells Fargo strong box was buried by two stage robbers who were captured and hanged about eight miles north of town on top the first hill on what was then the "Comanche Trail" and is now Snyder highway. The strong box was never recovered, and the Ole' Fella I talked to wondered if it wasn't buried near an old stone structure just a few hundred yards off the highway in the Canyon that had been there ever since he was a young boy. He pointed out, Wild Horse Canyon has plenty of twists and turns that looked exactly alike, and burying something just anywhere was an easy way to lose something. What he called "The Old Fort" was the only landmark he knew of in the entire Canyon, and it was close to where the bandits were captured.. That's where he would've buried the box !

I figured a couple of hundred yards walk off the highway with a metal detector wasn't a bad way to spend an afternoon. I located the stone triangular structure with 3 foot walls pretty easily.. you could actually see it on "Google Earth". I wasn't in the fort more than a few minutes when I got several strong hits inside the walls. I didn't find a strongbox, but I did dig up a couple of 2 pound cannon balls and some musket shot. As was confirmed by the Big Spring Museum, Spanish explorers carried small 2 pound "carronades" (small canon mounted on the quarter deck of ships) while exploring and constructed triangular shaped forts down in canyons to fight off Indians. It's easier to defend a triangular fort than a square one. Three sides as opposed to four. Big rocks on the outside, smaller rocks on the inside of the walls. Soldiers kneeled behind the short walls as they reloaded their muskets and stood up to fire.

According to records in Seville Spain, it was determined I had probably discovered a fort left behind by Cortez. Extra ammunition was frequently buried and left behind by the Spanish explorers in forts because Indians couldn't smelt iron, or make gun powder. Makes sense.

No strong box, but a pretty cool find anyway, and all due to a story I heard in an ole folks home.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All these posts look old, but I just got into the hobby. I'm from around SLC, would like to find a partner. Let me know!

Ether
I'm going out Sunday morning to American fork canyon. Yes I realize it's super bowl Sunday, going to wrap it up before game starts. If you or anyone else is interested give me a holler.

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ether,
One other approach to take in discovering areas is to research Land Matters web site maps - Utah Mining Claims map:
LandMatters_map1.jpg

Locate clusters of mining claims, especially placer claims, that have drainages around them:
LandMatters_map2.jpg

Switch to aerial view map (or find location in Google Earth) and zoom in. Locate rivers or streams that are not on claim --- NOTE-- be sure to check with BLM to verify that the area you are going into areas that does not have an active claim. Do some research on the rivers, streams, or general areas to see in there was any historic prospecting on those waters.
Potential_drainage-1.jpg

Create a map with GPS coords of drainage that is not on mining claims, and go prospecting!
I have been researching and creating maps of potential sites in Colorado to explore this summer. Good luck and heavy pans!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread