Kugers paydirt reveals MORE than gold!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kuger's paydirt reveals MORE than gold!

Kuger! I put the black sands from your paydirt under my mineral scope. So far, I have found one of the pieces of flour, VERY VERY small, to be CRYSTALINE! Right next to it, a perfect hexagonal quartz crystal, too small to see with the unaided eye. Pointed at both ends. PERFECT! The BIGGEST (sorry about the caps.... really excited) discovery is a METEORITE in the mess! Just a micrometeorite, but an M, just the same. TOO small to see without the scope but a perfect sphere. WOW! Great day in the morning! I will try to take a pic of these things but have to find the power source for the scope/camera first. Looking for more surprises in the meantime. TTC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great, Kuger! Hold onto as much as you can for me... from the same batch you sold to me, though! I found a total of 4 micrometeorites in the dirt I bought from you. Here is a pic of two of them. The backround is a mm grid.... that would make the obvous M about 1/6 th of a mm across. SMALL, even for young eyes! The second M is in the next right mm square, just a little higher from the first. See it? TTC

micro4.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to have ya sample some,I think the majority is from the same waterway,but not the same hole as what you got

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will have to have ya sample some,I think the majority is from the same waterway,but not the same hole as what you got

Good! As I said, remove as much gold as you can. I am after the Ms!! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here, 63. $1400 dollars about 10 years ago. Cheaper ones today. The three "goodies are in the flour, in the black pan. Soon! Tnx. TTC

View attachment 651979 View attachment 651980

Edit: Scope is still being sold by National Optical and Scientific Equipment in Texas. I may need to buy another power source from them. Herb, they want $75 for the power source. That's SEVENTY FIVE! for a little proprietary power source! OUCH! TTC

Edit: Limited lifetime warranty except camera, which is one year. Guess which part of the $1400 scope doesn't work? Yep, that's right! TTC

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry! I began my search for micrometeorites months ago, and I collected many perfect magnetic spherules that were all .1-1.5 mm in diameter because the internet told me that is what I was supposed to look for. The thing is none of them were micrometeorites. All were spherules created by common industrial processes. I was really discouraged, but then I bought the book “in search of stardust” by Jon Larsen. I learned what actual mms look like, and I found several promising candidates over the period of a couple months, and only one turned out to be an actual mm, verified in lab by Scötte Peterson. I am not insisting that all of your specimens are not micrometeorites, but likely 99% are not. You may have some I-type mms that are almost identical to the other spherules- but you would have to chemically analyze them in a lab to be sure. If you are on Facebook, check out Jon Larsen-Project Stardust!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry! I began my search for micrometeorites months ago, and I collected many perfect magnetic spherules that were all .1-1.5 mm in diameter because the internet told me that is what I was supposed to look for. The thing is none of them were micrometeorites. All were spherules created by common industrial processes. I was really discouraged, but then I bought the book “in search of stardust” by Jon Larsen. I learned what actual mms look like, and I found several promising candidates over the period of a couple months, and only one turned out to be an actual mm, verified in lab by Scötte Peterson. I am not insisting that all of your specimens are not micrometeorites, but likely 99% are not. You may have some I-type mms that are almost identical to the other spherules- but you would have to chemically analyze them in a lab to be sure. If you are on Facebook, check out Jon Larsen-Project Stardust!
You have indeed opened an OLD post! When I worked at the Nasa, Kennedy Space Center, I founds POUNDS of welding spheres. I know what you are talking about when you say industrial STUFF. The difference in finding micrometeorites is you must look for them in places that industry will not contaminate your search area. Downspouts of homes.... even putting out large sheets of plastic in the backyard works! Careful with the backyard, though, you may also be collecting tiny critters you don't want in the house! Finding the mm's per long established methods (on the internet ) is easy and productive. Now, I want to find that BIG one with my metal detector! Tnx 4 the response! TTC

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This certainly was an old post, it was recommended as a similar post to one I made :) I wish you the best of luck if you are still searching! I am thoroughly impressed if you have learned how to differentiate between the iron spherules!!! I would love to see more pictures. I’m trying to find that big one as well, but I see to usually dig up a nail haha!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep looking for that "retirement meteorite" but ....... I do have a fairly large stone that seems to have that melted look to it but is not magnetic. I don't think I'll cough up the money to have it tested but if I was to slice it with a tile saw would I be destroying the value? Figure I'll probably just wind up with two pieces of rock, HA!
What to Do If You Think You've Found a Meteorite

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how to tell micrometorites from the ground rock melted and splashed into the air from impact crators?

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how to tell micrometorites from the ground rock melted and splashed into the air from impact crators?

You can tell the difference between these spherules, as well as ablation spherules from micrometeorites by surface textures only visible through excellent microscopes! Many ablation spherules look “cracked” while micrometeorites are more aerodynamic and smooth. Ground rock that is melted from impact craters also lack the crystalline structure and barred olivine and nickel iron beads often seen in micrometeorites.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Terry, glad to know you are still out there 'doing stuff'! I plan on doing stuff as I'm exercising again trying to get ready for whatever comes my way. A few joints are weak so the exercise is really needed!! Lot's of things to do, in and out of the back country, just need to make myself strong. Hope you and your wife have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year...…………………...63bkpkr (aka - Herb)

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I’d like to know is: Where is kuger these days. Is he still around? Still finding the gold? I always looked forward to his posts.

Mike

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
delnorter,Kuger is alive and well.He's been my friend and former hard rock mining partner for many years.He's been into making classic arrowhead knives and spears out of obsidian..has a succesfull side business doing that.Dredgingis dead in California for now,so this is his sidework.If you want I'll P.M. you his website.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Dave. I’m glad to hear he is well and busy. I’ll take a look see at his site. Sounds interesting.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread