ultra fine flour gold recovery from black sand

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
hey, im from alberta and i dont have trhe luxury of any coarse or decent sezed flake gold out here, its all flour gold
I dont really wanna screw around with mercury, but i can see there is some really fine gold mixed with the black sand in my pan
but i cant seem to get it to settle out and seperate. Anyone have knowledge of how to seperate the black sand from the flour gold?
keep in mind here im a poor college student
thanks

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
M3R1IN said:
hey, im from alberta and i dont have trhe luxury of any coarse or decent sezed flake gold out here, its all flour gold
I dont really wanna screw around with mercury, but i can see there is some really fine gold mixed with the black sand in my pan
but i cant seem to get it to settle out and seperate. Anyone have knowledge of how to seperate the black sand from the flour gold?
keep in mind here im a poor college student
thanks

If you are in that not so rich category, see my ast post in the micron filter thread. It's simple but time consuming.
~Nashoba~

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
For Cheap, you can't beat the Henrys Poop Tube! We used it up in Nome! You can buy it from the GPAA for around $40! or make it yourself!
6-8' of 4" plastic corrugated flex drain pipe (cut in half length wise)
same length of 1" X 4" board
Fasten with flat head metal screws (silicone ea. one) Try to put the screws toward the sides, not at the very bottom.
Pound a couple of nails at the top end to hold the hose.

To Test: Elevate top end approx. 1" per foot higher than bottom w 5 gal. Bucket at end.
turn hose on slow. Put 1tsp of concentrate slowly into water stream at top.
Gold should stay at the top foot of pipe, if not check angle & water flow!
Use Gold snifter bottle to suck up Gold off Pipe.

Good Luck!

Joe

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
oh that sounds deliciously simple and cheap, my dad used to own a construction company and i used to work with corrugated pipe all the time
I cant believe i missed thinking of using that
thanks alot for the info
Who said ACE was the place for the helpful hardware man? this forum is the place

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
To Make sure it's clear: The object is to have the fine Gold settle on the High Side of the Riffles/ Corrugations as high up as possible.
too low & you may lose some gold! (that's what the bucket is for, insurance) Too much angle or too fast water flow loses the Gold!
You may have to play with it awhile! It does work real good!!

Joe

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
I watched dave McCrackens demo on sluicing, i'll try to find a happy medium

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Ok, so i got the components today to build that poop tube thing
it turned out to be more difficult than i thought it would be to find 4" corrugated pipe that was not perforated
i dont know what you guys use for drainage around your home foundations but around here we use perforated 4" pipe commonly referred to as "weeping Towel"
i had no problem finding the perforated stuff but the solid type was elusive
Turns out the good old farm supply store had some and its dirt cheap too
total cost for the components $10
Anyways i was thinking about putting support blocks on the main support board for the poop tube and cutting out "Crescents in them to let the pipe sit in them
this should keep it more level and alsowill allow for fastening the tube on the very uppermost levels not impeding the waterflow and risking leaks
I do have one question though.. why is this sluice so long? 8' seems a bit excessive if the gold is supposed to catch in the first foot?
Any suggestions for a cheap electric water recirculating pump? kind of thinking about turning this into a little black sand seperator highbanker as i live on an acerage and cant be wasting water from the cistern on things like this. I wish it were still warm out and the Irrigation District hadnt shut off the irrigation water for the season.
anyways, i talk too much

Kev NC

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2006
Use a 750 gph boat bilge pump and they are cheep. You can find the pump at Wal-mart or boat supply store. Put a ball valve in your water line to the top of the sluice so you can control the water flow.

Kev NC

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The reason I said 8' was that made the Top End high enough so you didn't have to bend over so far. Saves the back! But 5-6' is good enough! The Bilge Pump idea was the way I saw it done. Recirculated it nicely! Good Idea from ? (I can't see the name on Reply)

Good Luck & HH Joe

Kev, Thanks!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 25 mesh minus,the blue bowl rocks like no other. Play with your sands in the garage in the cold winter months and mine like crazy when it's sunny and warm!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
i never thought of building it with PVC pipes for supports, i'll probably start building mine tonight i'll post a pic when its done

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
For an inexpensive pump, if they sell them in your area, try a pump for an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler). Cost is around $15.00 at most hardware stores.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Then again there's also a Millers Table. These are not expensive and do a killer job. Do a search for several threads that cover them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions