Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I am new to panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2012
    CA
    Whites M6
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Go out and start panning you'll get the feel for it quickly. If your worried, get yourself a mason tub (its a black tub used to mix morter for brick work) fill the tub with water and pan into it. If you lose something it will be in the tub. You'll need to learn the basics for panning but most don't pan down to the fine gold; it's good to know but takes too much time. We collect all the consentrates for the season and run them through a blue bowl or miller table. In the field we take the chunks and leave the fines for winter fun... You'll recover 10x the gold with a sluice box, learn to pan, then get a sluice box. If the bug bites you be prepared to buy dredges, highbankers, metal detectors and a whole bunch more equipment to feed your illness...
    Money doesn't grow on trees but you can dig it up!

May 2012
    223 times
    Thinking back about the thread, I believe the discussion was more on prospecting, not panning. That is, is this the spot I'm going to dig for the day.

Obviously if you've been panning on your hot spot for the day, you want to recover every speck from the dirt you've run.

us
    Jun 2012
    CA
    Whites M6
    6 times
    And that video above is a fine example of how not to pan. There are pleanty good ones out there and you'll see the difference. That video is just wrong...
    Money doesn't grow on trees but you can dig it up!

us
    Jul 2012
    Torrance, California
    MPX Digital and Garret Pin-Pointer
    Prospecting
    Yeah the videos I mainly watch is from guy his name is Jeff Williams or known as ghosttownhunter on youtube.com. He did a recent one with how he pans but didn't know about treating the pan till someone on the channel asked if he treated his pan. nice to see lots of responses here, Howdy all.

Mar 2011
    101 times
    Well Steve. I've only been at this three years myself and i can save you some time and money. First of all, don't buy anything else until you actually FIND some gold. I met a guy at Point Bar, Colorado who bought $9,000 thousand dollars worth of equipment and hadn't even turned one shovel of dirt yet. He had a 4" dredge, scuba gear and everything else. He didn't find ANYTHING the two weeks he was there. So research ways to SAVE money first. You can make your own "Clay-B-Gone" cheap. It's only floride toothpaste and hydrogen peroxide and water. Jet Dry is a little better, but you won't find any of it at the dollar store. At some point you'll be thinking about buying a sluice. DON'T BUY ONE NEW OFF THE INTERNET, OR OUT OF A PROSPECTING STORE. I recommend you try some 3 inch plastic flexible sewer pipe from Home Depot first. About 3 foot should do it, cost around $3.50 a foot. Buy some thin wall PVC (The same length). Cut both pipes in half. Use waterproof glue to drop the sewer pipe into the PVC and hold it, (Keeps the thing straight, so it doesn't warp). Total cost should be under $30 dollars. If you can't find color with that, you arn't gonna find it with a one hundred twenty-five dollar KEEN Sluice either. Far as hand tools go, i recommend you buy a four foot iron breaker bar for around $30 bucks (try tool resale shops for a better price). Sooner or later you'll figure out the gold is bigger and more plentiful at bedrock. I don't know of a quicker, surer and easier way to punch through hard dry ground than using a breaker bar... unless you rent a back-hoe. Don't spend alot of money on classifiers either, until after you've had a look at the kitchen-ware section at a GoodWill Store. I've got some advice on where to start looking as well. You can PM me and i can tell you about some locations you may want to visit one day and a couple you will want to avoid.
    DaleGM likes this.

May 2012
    223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewCatfish View Post
    Don't spend alot of money on classifiers either, until after you've had a look at the kitchen-ware section at a GoodWill Store. I've got some advice on where to start looking as well.
    Actually Utopia Tools is having a killer sale on classifiers right now. 5 set for $50, I think they have the cheap pans too. The dollar store has plastic colanders which usually beats the thrift store's price, but a sample of what you can get at a thrift store,...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	php03wAQMPM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	654570

us
    Jul 2012
    Torrance, California
    MPX Digital and Garret Pin-Pointer
    Prospecting
    Ohh I don't see me plunking down anywhere near 500-3k worth of equipment. I just see doing it slowly as a hobby then if I find more and more of it.. well that is when to take into consideration different equipment. Thanks for sharing this information I will be sure to look into it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors