Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: where to look for gold in texas

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    3962 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Gold? Is that what that is? There isn't enough "gold" there to buy a chicken fried steak at the Hungry Hunter in Llano. If you read the top, I said there was powder gold, but you'll never pay for your gas and beer, not to mention rent, with "finds" like these. But you just pan away and enjoy yourselves. Tough way to make a buck though. God Bless you buddy...

That's cool..... wasn't trying to say that you could get rich. Most folks new to panning never make gas/rent money no matter where they go. For most it's the fun of the outdoors.

I was just trying to answer the question from the "OP" (original poster) who just wanted to know where to look for places to pan in Texas.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Aug 05, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Jimmydolittle and bobw53 like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3471 times
    Research/Limited field work
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    That's cool..... wasn't trying to say that you could get rich. Most folks new to panning never make gas money no matter where they go. For most it's the fun of the outdoors.

I was just trying to answer the question from the "OP" (original poster) who just wanted to know where to look for places to pan in Texas.

GG~

Tell you why my attitude about gold in Texas sucks: Summer of 1982, grad student(me) at Texas Tech. They gave me a job to pay for next years tuition. We had a contract with the state of Arizona to nominate structures to the National Historic Register and I had to do the research. They gave me a van with Texas Tech University on the side, a credit card and $900 a month. Wow, I made it. In Tempe I decided to drive out to see the Superstitions. Across the highway from them I saw a guy in the distance with a metal detector. I drove over to him. He relaxed when he saw TT on the door of the van. He had on jeans, boots ,a Colt SAA and a big Bowie type knife. I asked him what he was doing and he replied that his hobby was to follow creekbeds, ravines and culverts and find gold nuggets that had washed out of the mountains for years. I asked him if he was ever successful and how much could you make? He said,"well,I only do this on Saturday and sometimes Sunday and last year I made somewhere between $70 and $80,000 dollars". I almost had a heart attack. He had a pouch full of BB to marble sized shiny, wonderful gold things and explained that he sold them to a jeweler in Scotsdale who paid him really well for them. That was 1982. I have spent days panning most of those creeks you mentioned and maybe, just maybe made a couple of hundred bucks. So when someone says Texas gold, I just laugh and try to persuade them not to waste their time. True, it's all we have and I guess we have to make the most of it and tell me where to meet you to kiss your you know what. I've always thought that there should be a major deposit around the Llano Uplift area, but I've never found it. I have found quartz with small veins, but not very high quality. There is silver in the creeks out east of Brady and you can sometimes find pura plata, but not much. By the way, I asked the guy in Arizona where the best place to go was. He said around Globe or up in the Wickenburg Mountains. I don't know if anything he told me was true, but his gold was impressive...

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    3962 times
    I have the same problem here in Indiana.... Mostly fine glacial drift gold, finding nice pickers here is scarce, and finding a small nugget is rare.
    That's why I travel across country to do any serious prospecting and Texas is definitely not on my list of places to go.

GG~
    Jimmydolittle likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Kingsland, TX
    Excalibur II Excalibur 800 Minelab SD2200 Minelab E-Trac Garrett AT Gold
    37 times
    Greetings everyone.
    I guess this is my first post on this forum.
    I live in Llano Co. TX on the Llano River. Yes you can find gold in the river and in just about any creek in the Llano uplift area. In the last 14 years of prospecting the area I have seen maybe 10 small BB sized nuggets come out of the area. I found a 9 gr nugget 4 years ago with my modded Minelab SD2200. It took hundreds of hours of searching before I found that one mugget. The most gold that I have ever seen dredged out of the area was 2 pwt. It was found on a private rance with a 6" Keene Dredge. We had a full 6hrs of dredge time and a lot of that gold came out of our tailings. There are small mines all over the Llano Co. most are just small holes in the ground but some are extesive with large tailing piles and rail track laid, but they are all on private property. The Llano river is your best bet for acess to gold prospecting in Texas, there is also a pay to dig place called Longs fishing Camp 325-388-6131 tell them Todd sent you. A state permit is required to prospect on state owned land like the Llano river, but most of the river with acess is already permited out. You should get permision from permit holders before you go prospecting on their area's, some of them have special rules. You can find out who holds the permit on the area you want to prospect from the General Land Office, please be nice to these people because they have been nice to prospectors. You are not going to get rich prospecting in Texas but you can have a good time. If you want to go on an outing I think the Round Rock GPAA group still does a couple a year. Since I have lived here most of my life I am lucky that I have access to some of the ranches in the area and I can tell you there are places in Texas that have just as much gold as New Mexico, but most will not have access to it. If you drive through and see a 4" Keene dredge in the river its probably me or Earl and sometimes you will see an old fart with us and that will be Boo Coo.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3471 times
    You realize that you can pan more gold at Knott's Berry Farm in California than in Llano, or Texas for that matter. But you boys keep at it and maybe you can afford to eat at Cooper's someday!

us
    Aug 2012
    Kingsland, TX
    37 times
    Your right, you can pan more at Knotts Berry Farm, but I dont pan anymore. I use a dredge and a Gold Cube.
    bobw53 likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3471 times
    Well, good luck to you. You live in a beautiful town. Spent some time at Long's, found a couple of points, played in the river and had a decent time. Course I was younger then. Used to fish Wirtz Dam too before the terrorists made them put up a guard shack. Caught a 5 lb. white bass in Feb. of 1964 and then caught pneumonia cause it was cold and rainy(the day, not the fish). Anyway, give me a holler when you'all get arrested for destroying the environment(dredging the river) and I'll come bail you out. And I still promise you that there ain't no gold(worth looking for) in Texas. BUT, I did have a student in a college class one time that told me he picked up quartz laced heavy with gold and some nuggets in a creek that fed the Llano west and north of the town itself. He never brought a piece in, but I believed him. I also knew a guy who knew a guy that swore that above Smoothingiron Mtn. near Lone Oak Mtn. on a tributary of Cold Creek there was a good sized deposit exposed. Never went looking, never will, but I pass it on. I don't believe in stories like that, but who knows. Maybe that's where the guy got his gold.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dan roberts jr View Post
    Im new to gold panning does anybody know where to look for gold in texas?

Check out my last post. That is tough and rugged country, but you may be successful...

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1042 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    New Mexico, YES, Arizona, YES, Texas, NOOOOOOOO!
    they say no gold in oklahoma but I have found enough to pay for my equipment.Now that being said I am not making money at it I have hundreds of hours sucking gravel to get what I got.Fuel,food and lodging just the price to pay for enjoying myself in the outdoors I have met lots of nice people some from TNET while it is not the quality gold I got in Arizona it is still worth my time.It all boils down to why you are prospecting Money or Enjoyment with a bonus from time to time.
    Good Luck And
    Happy Hunting
    raycan likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Kingsland, TX
    37 times
    I use to fish below all the dams before all the loonies messed that up. I had a friend that had a deer lease below smoothing iron Mt. and Cold creek ran right through it and yes there is better gold their than what you find in the Llano. The next creek down the road ain’t bad either. Another good creek is Coal creek, it dumps into the Big Sandy. If You can get to bed rock on the Big Sandy you can get some good gold. There was actually a bucket line dredge in Big Sandy back in the 30's. If you go to the library in Llano you can read the story in the old papers. I talked to one of the old timers that went out to watch it run. It was washed away by a 25'wall of water and is probably in the bottom of LBJ. I wont say which lake but one of the Highland lakes has good size flakes in it. One year when they lowered the lakes we went out and dredged for a few hours before we were run of by the LCRA. We found wire gold in Oxford and in Walnut creek. Tom Ashworth dredged a few ounces out of Crab apple creek back in the 80's. He has moved back to Texas and is probably secretly dredging somewhere right now. I took a couple of sample pans on Crab apple creek and I found a few colors but I didn’t get anything of size. We have dredged gold out of the San Saba river just west of town. The Gold was fine but it was there. Goldmine and Silver mine creek have some gold but I haven’t been able to spend more than a couple of hours panning so far. Honey creek is were I am trying to stick a dredge right now. I have panned some big colors out of that creek. Mason Co. has some good creeks. A few years ago I was on a friends place looking for Topaz in a creek and while I was washing gravel I got some color. The secret to finding Llano gold is finding the right color of Hickory Sandstone also finding Iron deposits. Also another good source of gold in the Hill country is around sources of rare earth minerals.
    I went on a field trip with a geologist to the Badu Pegmatite. We found lots of hot rocks and we saw visible gold on decayed pyrite. The whole place is hot, his Geiger counter buzzed the whole time we were there. The big problem with Texas Gold is that we don’t have access to private property.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3471 times
    Well, best of luck to you. ..

us
    Jun 2013
    Weimar,Tx.
    Mine Lab x-terra 705 and Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    1 times
    It sounds like if gold is what you seek then seek else where. I know that silver may be the best bet to find all around our great state I find it and Zinc,Copper and Flour Gold in Harwood,Tx. I have also found the old mines that the Spanish and the Mexicans used when they first came to Texas and what they pulled out was mostly silver but if you want big nuggets sounds like Arizona,or New Mexico and always remember that gold is where you find it.

Feb 2015
    3 times
    Im new to this as well, and i can understand what alot of people and sites say about gold in texas. Truth is, it is here, its just HARD as f&@k to find. Doing some amature geology, i found a spot within the city limits of austin. Yes, austin. While panning here (in just one spot, same spot all the time), i have found small amount of little tumbled peices of garnet, "1" little piece of copper, a nice amount of pyrite (which i dont want) a peice of siver, and 2 tiny specs of gold (so tiny). I also found this interesting peice of pyrite which coats a silverish metal in another location when i was scouting it out. Gonna see what that creek has to offer.

I just find it had to believe that gold doesn't exist in this area when 1) if found traces and all signs are right, and 2) there were, at one point, mines in towns that surround austin. Anywho, its fun to do and pass time, but finding that amount that changes it from a hobby to money in your pocket is a perk.

In 2000-ish, they were building a new sky rise down downtown. In digging the foundation, the found a nice amount of dinosuar bones. This had everybody thinking what else might the city be sitting on that we dont know about? You never know until you look, but im sticking to the creeks... Good luck
    Texas Gold Hunter likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    1558 times
    The food, the music, the beautiful women and you want gold too?
    iforgot and Texas Gold Hunter like this.

Feb 2015
    3 times
    Lol. I need somethin to do when im not eatin jammin out or talkin to the lovely ladies...
    rodoconnor and Jimmydolittle like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links