finally made it to colfax!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in the right area for sure. Gooogle the website for the Auburn Gold Hounds and you'll see what fine folks you have in your area. Claims,outings,monthly meetings and everything in between. Non profit and very active even in light of no mo' dredging-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
419gottaminute,
Good Morning and a question, is the new home in Colfax? If so you've some easy drives to rivers in the mother lode country with swimming, fishing as well as general prospecting. Even some rafting IF you are up to the challenge! I look forward to reading your posts and hopefully you will share some pictures here.

Enjoy the new home!............63bkpkr

OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr: it is! I LOVE it. House was built in 1913, and has a basement with hand stacked rock walls. Raised foundation, and there are two tree stumps under the house. Wanna crawl under there with the md. The folks I've met here so far are really nice! Even had one lady offer to help unload the u haul! Got a lot of unpacking to do, but hopefully I ll get to go run some pans soon...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120806_081724.png
    ForumRunner_20120806_081724.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crap pic. Here is a better one

Attachments

• 314412_391066490958660_191495053_n.jpg
    314412_391066490958660_191495053_n.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 118

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well 419GottaMinute that is a sweet little house! You are in quite a place for history starting with you own home, basement and yard. You are surrounded by historical country and towns, yes sir you've plunked yourself right smack dab in amongst a bunch of history!! From in the town limits of Colfax you can drive down to the North Fork of the American river along two different paved roads, cross it and go up to Cool as well as Foresthill. Or you can continue up 80 North to Alta and head out along various trails there that go down into Green Valley as well as Euchre Bar. From Euchre Bar you can go up the North fork of the North Fork of the AR and if it is still like what I saw many years ago there will be dredges all over the place. Though due to the anti-dredging laws they may have been pulled out though I'd expect that all the claims are still valid. IF you go in there watch out for rattlesnakes and do not pick up any gold as doing that could get you into some trouble but the hike is worth it. Also from where one parks their car to go down the Euchre Bar trail is the turn off that goes to the Rawhide mine but do not drive down that one lane road as their is likely a chain across the road right where the NF of the NFAR river crosses the road. It would be a whole lot of backing up on a nasty tiny road with a long way down on the passengerside. Yup you are located in really fine country and I expect you will have a lot of fun.

Be safe..........63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever check out Reed Lukens mining videos? Most of them were made around your new home!

OP
OP
419GottaMinute

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bkpkr: thanks for the tips! Sounds like some really beautiful hikes. Found Russell towles' north fork blog online, good resource on trails for the area; so sad to hear of his passing. I already found 1 gal. bucket full of all kinds of old metal targets in the basement, and haven't even turned the detector on yet!

As for Mr. Lukens, turns out I bought my first whites detector off him back in '03! Even took me out panning in dutch flat once. Gonna try to get back in touch with him after I finish unpacking

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen your in gold and history junkie territory. The Auburn Courthouse has a great museum and righteous gold collection to see for free. Pioneer Mining is open downtown again,by Franks daughter,pans and such only but back in biz somewhat. Down in Placerville-Hangtown -the BA bank has a great safe fulla gold also. Now look west to sac and museums up the wazoo,best for my buck is the railroad by the capitol area. Along with sutters fort,vets museum and many more. You have a lifetime of seeing to do so get it on-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread