Closest place to bay area ca to pan for gold for free or very cheap?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auburn recreation area is right in good ol' HiWay 49-Drivers flats on foresthill divide or cherokee bar outta cool will do any day and in every way-John

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From Fremont you'll have to go about 2 hours to get to a good area. Get a panning kit, because it has all the little stuff you'll need with out trying to figure it out yourself. Also, watch a couple of videos on panning on utube just to get the general idea of the techniques. The info on that link about the gold on the beach in SF is pretty intresting. I'm from Walnut Creek and I've never heard about that. It's something you shopuld keep in mind to check after some storm or high tide.

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Bear River, free parking and free gold! I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks, river flow should still be good to use a sluice box.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you find your way over by Colfax you can try the American River, not sure what claims are where but you can call BLM and ask which parts are open. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions