Saprolite trap produces a little color

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw a post (unsure if here or elsewhere) where someone wondered if mounting a trap in a creek for a long period of time would produce results.

While opposed to the idea of mounting man-made objects in a creek, I ran with the idea and dug out a little trap in the creek across the street a couple of weeks ago to see what would happen.

The 3" deep shovel wide notch was cut into the saprolite bedrock of the creek bed at 90° on upstream side and sloped up to grade on the downstream side

After some heavy rains last week I decided to check it yesterday and am quite pleased with the results.

IMG_1902 (2).jpg

Not too bad for a little mosquito ridden suburban creek.

Upvote 0

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched an episode of American loggers where they placed some trees in the creek for a spawning area or erosion control or some sort. Basically V shaped with the point upstream. I thought 'what a nice way to create a slow spot while helping the environment',.. :)

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go. Who wouldn't be pleased? Nothing like having mother nature do some work for you.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice. :)

I try to leave pockets when I snipe to do the same thing so when I come back next year I might get lucky. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread