Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice | Premiering Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 9PM e/p on Discov

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    232 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_46356 View Post
    I do agree enough with the drama stuff and I'm pullin for the new guys.
    "pulln" is what the drama is all about.

I don't care if any of them get anything. I'm interested in the methods they go about trying to get gold. Being able to drag your pre configured equipment into place, and then move it at the drop of a hat sure seems the way to go.

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
    527 times
    Prospecting
    These Drama shows arent my cup of gold.
    I have watched a little bit of this one and Gold Rush but once they start focussing on the Drama I change the channel.
    Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

Sep 2012
    3 times
    These shows have very little to do with reality. The real teams are out there doing the deal. Ask yourself who has enough time in a short season go to through all the downtime and drama as the three or four teams Discovery picked out? Pomrenke has one problem after another, down to things as simple as running out of gas. They must pay them pretty good, because since last season, Zeke got a lot of new stuff, and he didn't have that good a take last year, plus the costs to live from last season to this one, plus the outlay of new equipment. I see a lot of new diving stuff there, yet he Mickey Mouses some connector on a plastic volume tank on his compressor. Uh, Zeke ....... plastic doesn't do very well in freezing temps. And Larry and Curly would do better as divers than Emily and Steve. How much bottom time do they have now, six or eight hours if that much?

I was a commercial diver for six years, four seasons a year, but in the Gulf of Mexico. We did dive during freezing weather, but nothing up to the exposure of this type. I get upset watching these shows with the general disregard to diving safety, as leaving divers umblicals untended. And having the diver pull themselves back to the hole. There's a tender there, that's what he's there for. And hoses going all over the place. There should be a dredge hose and the diver's umbilical, all taped together in one. As they have it, it's a tangle of lines.And what's so hard with making a functioning underwater hot water delivery system? Even when the guy did the free dive to recover the lost equipment, no one had an idea to tie a safety rope to him so they could pull him back? D'OH!

It is obvious these things are scripted and structured for TV. No one could exist from season to season with all the down time they have and the nozzle not working. One time they sucked up a softball sized rock. Anyone ever think of drilling two holes in the end, putting a piece of allthread and two nuts there to prevent just a thing? No, I guess it's easier to just stop everything and get the rocks out. And the dredges that are functioning properly and getting in 12 hours of hot dredging probably don't want any cameras of any type around. Know whut uh mean, Vern?

I'm trying to put together a venture for 2013, using some new improved equipment. But the hard part seems to be assembling a group of professional minded people who would go up there and perform, and not unravel or self-destruct. Permits are what they are. After that, you need a well oiled machine to get maximum bottom time, and I have yet to see one. The Pomrenkes did good with the Christine Rose, but the new Shamrock cost a bundle, and I heard they crushed the plastic pontoons during the dragging out to site. And they aren't on the gold very much, either. Surprised the old man went for that idea when he had a proven winner, and a pretty sizeable amount of leased ground.

We'll see how it all shakes out. You just can't take it for real. Just like Todd on Gold Rush. Problems, problems, problems, and no gold. Yet everyone seems to have a new pair of black Carharts every day. What's up with that?
    Bum Luck likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6344 times
    watch camera angles & how they zoom & follow.
    very little if anything is taped live. if it is,
    they are still not in any danger at any time.
    a camera man can say something went wrong,
    & rescue would be on it.

My guess almost all of it is stock footage & scripted filming by pros.

yes I believe they were out there hunting, but most of the filming is done in down time
    to show their take on what happened, in a dramatic way.

as for money these are all typical multi-millionaires they can throw millions away to make millions,
    (buying Maps, sites to hunt, equipment, etc at will)
    but cry poverty over every dollar they spend, for tax breaks.
    so although they are paid by Discovery, I don't think they really need it.

I wish I could cry i'm down to $100,000,000.00 in the bank,
    if we don't find some gold soon your all fired !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Aug 2012
    41 times
    My now deseased buddy Jerry once commented on gold seeking and mining in general. He said, " why not do what I did. Marry a woman worth $50 million dollars". He's gone, but I'm working on it.

Sep 2012
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jcazgoldchaser View Post
    Hope I did this right, and this is in answer to the "submarine you can wear", as this suit is called. It was called a "newt suit" for decades, because it is neutrally bouyant in water. I saw one being used the other night on a special on diving on the Lusitania to see if it had been hit by a torpedo, and if it was carrying banned munitions, as Germany declared.

The newt suits have been in use a lot now, I had exposure to them in the 1970's. Oceaneering, Int'l. was doing a lot of the technical on the diving on the Lusitania. A guy can get into one, go down to a pretty good depth, IIRC, in the 500' range, pop back to the surface, and exit the suit with absolutely no decompression because he is held at surface pressure.

us
    May 2012
    Merced/Mariposa
    Still searching for the right one
    50 times
    Prospecting
    It's for sure scripted along with duck dynasty, pawn stars, and all the gold shows. If you watch it long enough you can call what's going to happen. Like when they thought they put the camera Down, Come on now, fake city. You would remember if you put the camera down.
    But the final straw was the dousing rods with pomrinke. I believe in the rods, but did anybody notice the blocks of ice that were already cut before zeke got there? Of course he's going to start finding gold, discovery sent people down there to make sure it was a good spot. Oh well is it Friday yet? Lol

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesP View Post
    It's for sure scripted along with duck dynasty, pawn stars, and all the gold shows. If you watch it long enough you can call what's going to happen. Like when they thought they put the camera Down, Come on now, fake city. You would remember if you put the camera down.
    But the final straw was the dousing rods with pomrinke. I believe in the rods, but did anybody notice the blocks of ice that were already cut before zeke got there? Of course he's going to start finding gold, discovery sent people down there to make sure it was a good spot. Oh well is it Friday yet? Lol

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2412 times
    Explain then skeptics how they SCRIPTED that young divers death then....now THATS a reality show and reality check on this forum-John

Sep 2012
    3 times
    Saw an ad for someone who had deep pockets who wanted to finance an operation, but can not find it now. Is the ad still up?

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2651 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    Explain then skeptics how they SCRIPTED that young divers death then....now THATS a reality show and reality check on this forum-John
    Zekes buddy John?He shot himself
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6344 times
    did he die on the show ?

I know I never said the whole thing is scripted but most of the time there are no deaths, or real near deaths,

so they need it pretend on occasion also .

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2651 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    no he died just a week or so ago
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

May 2012
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    What happened to John Patrick Bunce on bearing sea gold? ? - Yahoo! Answers

John was a great friend of mine. I met him here in Nome 4 years ago and he worked for me at Alaska Gold's Rock Creek Mine. Last Friday night, I met him at the bar and we had a few drinks, catching up. He asked me if I was watching the show and I know but promised I would. We parted ways about 11:30 PM. Around 3:30 or 4:00 AM on Saturday morning, he died of a fatal gunshot wound to the head. He was a great guy and had so much going for him. He will truly be missed.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2412 times
    Mark was the one I was refering to,never even heard of this fella ,bummer RIP as good miners in short supply-John-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors