Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice | Premiering Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 9PM e/p on Discov

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abslolutely the most dangeros insane method of dredging even thought of. Frozen parts and death to follow with years of pain and suffering from frostbite. Ain't enough gold on the planet to engage in such insanity-John

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: yep I'm already set up to record

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To Heck with watching, I'm wanting to partake. Looks like FUN to me and makes perfect sense with clear waters not found regularly after ice melt. Also easier access than summer.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
john have you done any diving in icy water . i must be getting old. there is no way in hell i would get into that type of water again.but i will watch it ! being in the tropics is way better than the cold.

bill-cr

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
john have you done any diving in icy water . i must be getting old. there is no way in hell i would get into that type of water again.but i will watch it ! being in the tropics is way better than the cold. bill-cr

Don't think it would stop me, I like cold and a challenge. :tongue3: Bill, is the equator weather turning you soft. :laughing7:
Anyhow much better than the summer dredging, waiting for the sea to calm all the time, sometimes a week or more as you burn through the money in town.
I guess we'll have to watch the show for the dramatized version of it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
841-large_suit.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never went underwater in AK but almost lost my big right toe to frostbite and still after 30 years no toenail just a mess. Frost bite really dangerous and ol'dog has arthritis from being underwater for 1,000s a hours each year for 40+ years,but what a small price to pay. I'll cheer for ya John from the sidelines like last time bud-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
thats a young mans game!im to old to even think of it! still a lot of madeup drama and to much grab azz from the young guys and not watching out for the divers safty!!!! i cant imagine why Emmily and her stupid old man is even allowed near a dredge!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a young mans game!im to old to even think of it! still a lot of madeup drama and to much grab azz from the young guys and not watching out for the divers safty!!!! i cant imagine why Emmily and her stupid old man is even allowed near a dredge!

I agree allot of exaggeration for drama & Cheap Chuckles.
of course like knowing there is about to be a train Wreck.
Whether planned or not, I Just have to watch to see the carnage

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent show--way tooo much drama ----lousy suction yet again as second jet would easily fix and 10 X the production instead of wimpy mutzing and a putzing. Jus' too old for that ungodly cold and way too much mickey mouse on units to provide safe or reliable production. Just hope no one dies or loses any appendages. LUV the gold though-John :headbang:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on the Emily comment. That wanna be balerina has no business tending someones lifelines. The rest was fun to watch tho.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent show--way tooo much drama ----lousy suction yet again as second jet would easily fix and 10 X the production instead of wimpy mutzing and a putzing. Jus' too old for that ungodly cold and way too much mickey mouse on units to provide safe or reliable production. Just hope no one dies or loses any appendages. LUV the gold though-John :headbang:

well being we are in August, this must have been filmed last winter.
I Didn't see anything on the news of anyone from the series dying so I Guess they all lived through it.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlessl I'm realy off the wall I don't see that big a problem with the cold water. I use to dive recreationaly and on the sheriffs recovery team as a deputized citizens volunteer. I've been under the ice several times...... in a wet suit no less... not a dry suit and definatly no hot water in the suit. I could safely stay down 30min. max. I think you could dredge alot of stuff in 30 min. What they need to do is have a two diver set up and switch off when necessary. No frickin way would I be under the ice with Emily or her derelict dad tending my lines. I do agree enough with the drama stuff and I'm pullin for the new guys.

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree enough with the drama stuff and I'm pullin for the new guys.
"pulln" is what the drama is all about.

I don't care if any of them get anything. I'm interested in the methods they go about trying to get gold. Being able to drag your pre configured equipment into place, and then move it at the drop of a hat sure seems the way to go.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These Drama shows arent my cup of gold.
I have watched a little bit of this one and Gold Rush but once they start focussing on the Drama I change the channel.

thegoldgopher

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These shows have very little to do with reality. The real teams are out there doing the deal. Ask yourself who has enough time in a short season go to through all the downtime and drama as the three or four teams Discovery picked out? Pomrenke has one problem after another, down to things as simple as running out of gas. They must pay them pretty good, because since last season, Zeke got a lot of new stuff, and he didn't have that good a take last year, plus the costs to live from last season to this one, plus the outlay of new equipment. I see a lot of new diving stuff there, yet he Mickey Mouses some connector on a plastic volume tank on his compressor. Uh, Zeke ....... plastic doesn't do very well in freezing temps. And Larry and Curly would do better as divers than Emily and Steve. How much bottom time do they have now, six or eight hours if that much?

I was a commercial diver for six years, four seasons a year, but in the Gulf of Mexico. We did dive during freezing weather, but nothing up to the exposure of this type. I get upset watching these shows with the general disregard to diving safety, as leaving divers umblicals untended. And having the diver pull themselves back to the hole. There's a tender there, that's what he's there for. And hoses going all over the place. There should be a dredge hose and the diver's umbilical, all taped together in one. As they have it, it's a tangle of lines.And what's so hard with making a functioning underwater hot water delivery system? Even when the guy did the free dive to recover the lost equipment, no one had an idea to tie a safety rope to him so they could pull him back? D'OH!

It is obvious these things are scripted and structured for TV. No one could exist from season to season with all the down time they have and the nozzle not working. One time they sucked up a softball sized rock. Anyone ever think of drilling two holes in the end, putting a piece of allthread and two nuts there to prevent just a thing? No, I guess it's easier to just stop everything and get the rocks out. And the dredges that are functioning properly and getting in 12 hours of hot dredging probably don't want any cameras of any type around. Know whut uh mean, Vern?

I'm trying to put together a venture for 2013, using some new improved equipment. But the hard part seems to be assembling a group of professional minded people who would go up there and perform, and not unravel or self-destruct. Permits are what they are. After that, you need a well oiled machine to get maximum bottom time, and I have yet to see one. The Pomrenkes did good with the Christine Rose, but the new Shamrock cost a bundle, and I heard they crushed the plastic pontoons during the dragging out to site. And they aren't on the gold very much, either. Surprised the old man went for that idea when he had a proven winner, and a pretty sizeable amount of leased ground.

We'll see how it all shakes out. You just can't take it for real. Just like Todd on Gold Rush. Problems, problems, problems, and no gold. Yet everyone seems to have a new pair of black Carharts every day. What's up with that?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch camera angles & how they zoom & follow.
very little if anything is taped live. if it is,
they are still not in any danger at any time.
a camera man can say something went wrong,
& rescue would be on it.

My guess almost all of it is stock footage & scripted filming by pros.

yes I believe they were out there hunting, but most of the filming is done in down time
to show their take on what happened, in a dramatic way.

as for money these are all typical multi-millionaires they can throw millions away to make millions,
(buying Maps, sites to hunt, equipment, etc at will)
but cry poverty over every dollar they spend, for tax breaks.
so although they are paid by Discovery, I don't think they really need it.

I wish I could cry i'm down to $100,000,000.00 in the bank,
if we don't find some gold soon your all fired !

Last edited:

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My now deseased buddy Jerry once commented on gold seeking and mining in general. He said, " why not do what I did. Marry a woman worth $50 million dollars". He's gone, but I'm working on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread