PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, this may not be the right thread to post this. If not, I apologize up front. The admins may need to move it or delete it at their discretion.

I was relic hunting in Northern New Mexico in the Sangre de Christo mountains and found an area where quartz was scattered around.

One of the pieces caught my attention. It was shaped like a heart. The piece did not look like it was naturally that shape and may have been worked at some point.

I picked up the quartz and didnt pay much attention to it. It was slipped into a pocket on my pack and examined more when I returned home.

The top of the quartz heart has some yellowish metal in it. One old-timer (funny me saying that) told me that it was gold in the quartz.

Would you mind taking a look at these pictures and offering some insight into the object?

Thanks,

Patrick

quartz heart 2.jpg quartz heart 1.jpg

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not seeing any but if ya crush and pan it,you will know for sure.A jewelers loupe could also assist if you understand what gold looks like

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuger,

There is some yellowish metal in the top of the heart. It is visible in the top V of the heart in the picture on the right. It doesnt show up well in this picture.

I don't think there is enough value to crush it to extract the gold. I could always use that old quicksilver method. Uggh.

Seriously though, I am thinking I was near a vein and didn't even know it.

Patrick

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it yellow and is METAL,you may be on to something.Yellow stained quartz though is oxide and common....but doesnt look like metal.The only way to know for sure if you are near a prospect is to do just that...prospect/sample

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuger,

I am not sure if it is gold. Some of it is on the surface and looks reflective like iron pirite. It is just small flecks though. There is some yellow hue throughout that you can see in the picture. It looks a little opaque as it is inside of the quartz.

The heart is about three inches from top to bottom so there wouldnt be enough gold to worry about getting out of it. I would rather keep it as an intact artifact.

Thanks for your input though, it is very much appreciated.

Patrick

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrick,
You should go to the signs and symbols section and read about hearts.
You might want to go back and look around some more

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like oxidized iron. If you don't have access to a metal detector, go to a rock shop or a prospecting shop. They'll help you out.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nuggetshooter323,

I bought a new detector yesterday (Garrett AT Pro) and finished assembling it this morning before work. I will run the detector over it this evening when I get home from work.

It really doesnt matter either way if it is gold or not. I like the heart intact. Having a trace of gold would just make for interesting conversation.

I was on a search for an old Spanish site when bushwacking throught he Sangre de Christo mountains in northern New Mexico. This is just (and I mean just) across the line from Colorado. I am probably within a quarter mile of the state line.

I will post my findings with the metal detector on the item.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rob,

Great suggestion, I know the Spanish trail signs and treasure signs that involve hearts. This is why I kept it. Later, I thought that there was probably a mine or natural vein in the vicinity.
Oh well, that's what I get for being in a rush to get to a spot rather than searching along the way.

Patrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread