Where to "scratch" for gold in Northern California?

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, me and my son have been been sluicing for gold in rivers for the last 6 months. We've had decent luck and I'm having fun with the kiddo. He's been reading about looking for gold in dried up river beds lately. He's been buying hammers, chisels, pry bar, etc,. with his allowance. I'd like to take him so we can try our luck at breaking up rocks and looking for dirt we can "scratch" some gold out from some crevices....
I would appreciate any information on how to look for these (public) areas? Maps, Geology, City?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya;

What part of Nor Cal are you guys in?
I am here in Redding and there are a couple open BLM plots that they dont allow claims on to keep it open to the public.

I would say taking a trip to your local BLM to pick up a $4 dollar map of the area of you want to try would be very very worth while.
I went yesterday for my own Township map and came away with several small localized maps (Not like the large township map) lots of good info packets, a packet for registering claims, a paper showing how to use LR2000 (Claim search) and history packets.

That $4 dollars bought a ton of great info and of course the map I needed to know where BLM, state, federal, forestry and Private property is in the area that I wanted.

If you go to the BLM Office in Redding try to catch Eric there, he is the guy I talked to and had a TON of great info to give me, he even stayed late to answer all of the questions that I had.

If you are down closer to Sacramento then you might want to try the American River by Colfax. :)
Again, contact BLM for maps and info.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are about an hour east of San Francisco.....
Thanks for the tips. I'll get ahold of some BLM maps for some locations in the Auburn / Colfax area : )

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh, yeah there are tons of area's down there that you can check out.

My Dad and Grandpa use to pan Bear Creek (The one that runs into the Eel River,) you might want to ask BLM about that too and see if there are claims on it.

I have not been to that area in about 15 years and I do not recall if they found anything, I just remember them panning and fishing. :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget lousy BLM maps as nuttn' smaller than 80 acres shown and old old old. The forest service has the absolute newest greatest chartography available with recent changes,and updated frequently. When looking at any map from anywhere always look to see when done---and when updated AND the smallest items shown as claims start at 10 acres and MILLIONS under 80 acres so blm purt' near worthless. The Redding office has smaller current maps of where to play and stay outta trouble FOR FREE-John

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What John says is very true.

The map that the Redding Office sold me was printed in 2005 but they hand drew and colored in new info.

If you are not familiar with the area that you are prospecting (Total newbie) then a nice map is very helpful and of course they gave me the current smaller maps for free that are up to date and show the free area's to play in.

They did tell me to contact the forest service and said that they were current and up to date.

For a newbie, stopping at all the marks helps because you get good info from several sources.
As newbies we dont have years of experience, anyone and everyone is helpful.

So like John said, hit Forest Service too but impo you should also hit BLM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NeoTokyo and Hoser John, information is very much appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions