How to make my own mesh classifier?

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to make my own classifier. I have a concrete mixing tub, now I want to build a classifer that will fit midway in the tub. That way I can shovel in dirt, shake the classifier and toss the large rocks.
Where can I find the mesh? What do I ask for at the local hardware store?
How should I create the frame (I don't want to re-invent the while, not unless I really need to)?

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are lots of different mesh sizes that come in whatever size you want on the internet if you dont mind ordering there.

I have a nice old deep fry basket that is a little less than 1/4" that I use. :)

You could also wire your own with some Stainless Steel wire looped and stapled to the bottom of a 2x4 and then nail another 2x4 (Or whatever size you want to use) over it to keep it snug.
My grandpa had a few hand made classifiers made that way and I made one when I was a teenager something like 15 years ago to sift out sinder from soil for my Bonsai hobby.

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to ask for metal screen mesh (they use it for holding ceramic tiles on a wall. They come in 4' x 8' sheets.
U can cut it with those sheet metal sheers. Its cheap too.
Good luck & Be creative! U can dooooo it!

Sent via: iPhone 4gS "keep on swingin'!"

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I was at Home Depot and asked for screen/mesh and was shown the window screen stuff. I will look in the tile/grout/cement area today.
I will probably sandwich the mesh with wood for a secure hold. I'll be shoveling some giant rocks into this classifier. Staples is a good idea to secure/hold mesh while I create the frame.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for 'Hardware Cloth' at the hardware stores - its heavy duty zinc plated screen. 1/4 inch (4 mesh) should be easy to come by (but some places only sell it in 50 foot rolls). If you need smaller openings (higher mesh), you'll usually have to order online.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked with the Mcnichol's place, but had too many options to finalize an order, LOL.

I'll see what the local hardware store has today, I hope they sell the stuff in smaller quantities.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What size do you want? You may try a fabricating shop and see if they have any scrap to sell.

GG~

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i found some 12x24 flat expanded with 1/2'' holes in home depot were they keep the small angle made from aluminum they have a little stand with many sizes they also have big sheets too only ten dallor for the small one and 20 for the large one. here they also keep the fence hardwere and ladders on the same ile. this is bbq grating ground smooth it is heavy duty.

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome man, looks like you're off to good start. The minors moss, you can probably order that right on Amazon!

Sent via: iPhone 4gS "keep on swingin'!"

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4" minus is pretty simple with hardware cloth. For large rocks I would not use window screen nor the mortar/stucco netting. Not ridged enough.

Google 'metal supply <your town name>'

Perf sheet
Metal Perforation Patterns

Find a steel supplier who sells drops or cuts down full sheets. Here Industrial has 2x4 precut you can pull right off the shelf. Southwest has bins right by the shear.

I'd make a simple frame outta 1x4s and mount a rail or in-line skate wheels to ride on the tub. That would give you a sliding motion.

One problem I see is those tubs aren't deep. So the fines will build up pretty quick.

Not knowing how big the rocks are it's hard to know what to suggest. But there are other products to consider as classifiers. Often I find baking grates, oven racks and all sorts of mesh office supplies at thriftstores.

cc6b7744-4139-4653-90a6-3218008e6dc9_145.jpg

47b7fa71-ea8d-4587-bcc1-4a3d50bf7757_145.jpg

21898350i_01.jpg

21208925i_01.jpg

oven_racks_1.jpg

showImage.aspx?site=21&fn=cleaning-ovens-racks.jpg

One thing I was looking at doing was gravity classifying (toss a shovel full against a screen) the material, say 1/4" so that falls into 1 bin. Then anything larger rolls down into a basket in another bin. That way you wash the larger material without building up the fines in that bin. Couple shovel tosses, shake the basket and dump.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the information / suggestions jcazgoldchaser! :)
I like the idea of having wheels for the classifier to ride on, I was wondering on how to make the rack move more freely in the tub.
I bought some Hardware Cloth with 1/4" holes, enough to do my bucket classifier project too. I like the picture of the oven rack, looks like a grizzly in the making! I hate to shovel large rocks into my bucket/tub. I need to finish this project by the 21st!

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely stick with that mesh stuff that I was telling you about. Tile setters and construction guys basically staple it to the wall or floor, remember? Because it's in the diamond shape and the openings are kind of flat crooked type deal TO CATCH THE GOLD!! : D

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely stick with that mesh stuff that I was telling you about. Tile setters and construction guys basically staple it to the wall or floor, remember? Because it's in the diamond shape and the openings are kind of flat crooked type deal TO CATCH THE GOLD!! : D
Ok, I just went out and took a look at my sand grizzly. The stuff is stouter than I was thinking, but I still think it wouldn't hold up very well under rock fall.

What I imagine he wants to do is drop a shovel load of dirt into the screen, then shake it back n forth. I think the weight would stretch the tile mesh stuff out. Even the 1/4" hardware cloth is going to stretch some.

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jcazgoldchaser said:
Ok, I just went out and took a look at my sand grizzly. The stuff is stouter than I was thinking, but I still think it wouldn't hold up very well under rock fall.

What I imagine he wants to do is drop a shovel load of dirt into the screen, then shake it back n forth. I think the weight would stretch the tile mesh stuff out. Even the 1/4" hardware cloth is going to stretch some.

Huh?
We're talking about different stuff then. It LOOKS just like the material that it covers rain gutters on your roof. I've used to stuff Manny times! That stuff does not break. it works perfect (Avenue watched "Gold Rush" the tv show?)
It'll hold 12 x 12 heavy ceramic tiles on WALLS that and the Mastic (glue) of course. but the only thing that the tiles are sticking to really is the mesh so obviously you're thinking of something different. (no attitude here)
Just trying to help you out bud! I wish I had some to take a picture of. With this stuff is galvanized steel or even stainless steel it comes it. But the way it's made, it's NOT going to break. Of course you put your classifier up on top I'm talking about the stuff that catches the gold flake that would sit right on top of the miners moss. That's where your money's going to be.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got all the materials I need to build the classifier. Went with 1/4" hardware cloth, easy to find and ask for once you guys told me its name - thanks!
Need to assemble it within the next week before my next trip. Thanks for all the help!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh?
We're talking about different stuff then. It LOOKS just like the material that it covers rain gutters on your roof. I've used to stuff Manny times! That stuff does not break. it works perfect (Avenue watched "Gold Rush" the tv show?)
It'll hold 12 x 12 heavy ceramic tiles on WALLS that and the Mastic (glue) of course. but the only thing that the tiles are sticking to really is the mesh so obviously you're thinking of something different. (no attitude here)
Just trying to help you out bud! I wish I had some to take a picture of. With this stuff is galvanized steel or even stainless steel it comes it. But the way it's made, it's NOT going to break. Of course you put your classifier up on top I'm talking about the stuff that catches the gold flake that would sit right on top of the miners moss. That's where your money's going to be.
I'll look around HD again, but I didn't say it would break, it (the stuff I have) will stretch and deform.

I agree, if you classify prior to the screen it will be fine. You then have many more options including the aluminum sheet screens (for screen doors) in the hardware isle near the raw, cut steel.

I've just taken photos of my sand classifier. The stuff comes in ~3x8' sheets and here its in lumber because they use it with stucco. When they tack it to the wall, they can form nice curved surfaces with the mesh, then apply the stucco.

If you put the stuff at the bottom of a bucket for a bucket classifier and dropped a shovel load {including large rocks as the OP indicated}, it would bow outward greatly (unless your material is mostly fines).

View attachment 674869
View attachment 674870

First photo is of the screen with window screen above it.
Second photo shows where I stretched it down a bit with a quick tug. It is keeping that shape without my finger there. The screen is ~2' wide at that point. I'm using it to keep the window screen from stretching out under the weight of a shovel full of sand. As the sand slides down the screen, most of it filters through and the larger pebbles slide off. Should have ordered mason sand, got concrete sand.

Would love to see photos of your setup, next chance you get! :occasion14:

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a "bag" made out of heavy duty plastic mesh that used to be on a minnow bucket. It holds about 3 shovel loads and is stitched together with zip ties and poly cord - I use it in a tall rubbermaid storage tote as it is much deeper than a mixing trough

It is light, takes heavy abuse and takes up very little space when rolled or folded. I keep extra cord & ties with me expecting it to break, but have never needed them.

the mesh/netting is sold by the foot in marine shops & small hardware stores, but I doubt any of these places have websites so here is a link for the same stuff on a pond site where they sell 50' rolls. (I'm sure you can find it sold by the foot locally.)

Look halfway down the page under "Heavy Duty Plastic Netting": Pond net, water garden nets, fish netting, bird netting, seine net, black nylon netting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions