Help identifying this please!!

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this While out at metal detecting around old lode mine.There is more quartz tailings here than i have ever seen at any other site.My MD hit on this piece along with a few other pieces,but i cant tell what it is.I know some of it is Pyrite, but from what i have read pyrite doesnt sound off on MD.I am using a Garrett AT Gold and using the iron audio feature i dont get any sign of iron in the quartz.

Attachments

• quartz1.jpg
    quartz1.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 277
  • quartz2.jpg
    quartz2.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 254
  • quartz3.jpg
    quartz3.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 170
  • quartz4.jpg
    quartz4.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Looks like chalcopyrite, a copper/iron sulfide mineral. One of the forms of "fools gold," it sometimes forms with real gold. As a sulfide of both ferrous (iron) and non-ferrous (copper) metal, it will sound off on a metal detector on both iron mode and iron-discriminate mode. If you have some pieces that are not nice specimens, you can dissolve the sulfide with acid and see if any gold and silver remain. I found a nice fist-sized piece in quartz matrix on the beach here in Maine this year but it is too pretty a specimen to grind up and look for real gold.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks placer,what kind of acid would i need?And this place is completly littered with solid quartz tailing piles with most all pieces the size of a football or larger.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also looks like the pyrite is in Hematite, which is iron oxide and will set off your metal detector. Pyrite or not, that is a nice specimen!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt mess with acid...dangerous and hard to get...crush a piece and pan it.Def. chalcopyrite in there

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea would prefer not to go the acid route as i know nothing about it..but also dont know how to get started crushing pieces this size??How small would it need to be crushed in order to check for remaining gold by panning method??

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crush it down to near powder

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, don't crush anything! You'll ruin the specimen. Just take a sewing needle and see if the "gold" flakes off or breaks - that is Pyrite. If it doesn't take it to your local jeweler, and ask her to do a acid scratch test to see if it's gold. Pretty simple and free. You can SELL the specimen to a rock hound on Ebay when you confirm it's pyrite.. Just saying.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great Terry,ill try that..thanks alot!!

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Sulfuric acid is actually made from pyrite. To break down the pyrite and leave any gold, nitric acid must be used. This should be used with the utmost care. Pyrite can also be dissociated with heat but beware of the resulting fumes which will contain sulfuric acid. Crushing is the preferred method and then treating the crushed material with heat or nitric acid.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, don't crush anything! You'll ruin the specimen. Just take a sewing needle and see if the "gold" flakes off or breaks - that is Pyrite. If it doesn't take it to your local jeweler, and ask her to do a acid scratch test to see if it's gold. Pretty simple and free. You can SELL the specimen to a rock hound on Ebay when you confirm it's pyrite.. Just saying.

Pretty sure it was recommended...and I was referring to a separate piece above Terry!What good is five "specimens",if you dont even know what they are?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread