GPAA Claims in NC

wwonka41

Sep 13, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Had a Whites Spectrum. Loved it but had to sell it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to the hobby and was wondering if being a GPAA member really gets you to any exclusive property/claims in North Carolina. I'm planning a trip up there in the near future but don't want to goto a pay to dig site. Would rather work the ever depleting public lands and take my chances with unsalted gold. I'm from Wilmington, so I would like to find at least a decent place to bring the kids after our 6 hour drive. I know there are a few Carolina boys on here so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Navy Guy

Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't creally complain about the GPAA or the LDMA as I am a member, but I don't feel they do a very good job of finding claims in the south east. We have a lot of gold in NC,SC, GA, and AL, but we have to find it ourselves. The organizations have couple of locations, but for the most part they are nearly played out. There is a place east of Charlotte south of 85 you may have more luck at, but it is pay for play.

OP
OP
wwonka41

wwonka41

Sep 13, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Had a Whites Spectrum. Loved it but had to sell it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely going to join just because there are some perks and I like getting stuff in the mail. Lol I also enjoy the magazines. I really don't like idea of pay to play, that might be our backup plan. Don't want first trip with kids to be a bust.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
These are the current GPAA chapters in North Carolina:

Chapters

See if any are near enough to go to a meeting (you don't need to be a member to attend any of the GPAA meetings). You should be able to ask where people prospect and how worthwhile any of the pay to dig sites are (they may be a good deal for beginners, who knows?).

You should be able to find people to help you learn how to prospect, and at least pan correctly (a Skill required by all prospectors somewhere along the line).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread