WHAT TO DO WITH BLACK SAND??? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: WHAT TO DO WITH BLACK SAND???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Keith Mooney -WP Member

Feb 2013
    New Jersey
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
    161 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    We sell it to tropical fish stores for use in aquariums.
    does that mean theres a possibility the gold is still in the sand when you sell it or do you you clean gold out first

Feb 2013
    18 times
    Black sands make great thermite.

jp
    Photons

Mar 2012
    Tokyo & OC
    Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stefen View Post
    Make one hellofa catbox...
    I did this with my 1/8 concentrates. The wife was happy, cat.... not so much. So we mixed it in with normal cat litter and walah! Cat is fine now and we save $$. Now, where is that picker I lost....
    Fullpan likes this.

ca
    Dec 2012
    British Columbia
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    WOW - I learned something new today - thnks, Ayeyou. Does your refinery have a min. wt. limit? Also can you briefly
    describe their recovery process?
    I am sure they have a bottom line as far as size of concentrate shipping but I really am not sure what that is. I will be talking with them in the coming week and will find out for you. All I know is they will process a tandem load. They use a cyanide leach on the gold concentrate but because my concentrates are very high in sulphides they roast them first to break down the sulphides and release the micro gold they contain. After the cyanide leach they recover the gold with a carbon in pulp process as described below.............

Loading gold into carbon

Leached pulp and carbon are transferred in a counter current flow arrangement between a series of tanks, usually numbering 4 to 6. In the final tank, fresh or barren carbon is put in contact with low grade or tailings solution. At this tank the fresh carbon has a high activity and can remove trace amounts of gold (to levels below 0.01 mg/L Au in solution).

As it moves up the train, the carbon loads to higher and higher concentrations of gold, as it comes in contact with higher grade solutions. Typically concentrations as high as 4000 to 8000 grams of gold per tonne of carbon (g/t Au) can be achieved on the final loaded carbon, as it comes in contact with freshly leached ore and pregnant leach solution (PLS). This can be measured by comparing the amount of gold extracted from the carbon to the amount of carbon used.

[edit] Removal of gold from carbon

The final loaded carbon then is removed and washed before undergoing "elution" or desorption of gold cyanide at high temperature and pH. Ethanol can also be used to desorb gold from activated carbon, but safety concerns have slowed its acceptance in the gold extraction industry.

I am still actively looking at other refining processes that I may be able to set up in my shop which is only 30 minutes from my mine. I am considering putting in a small plant using the new bio leachants but I wont make that decision until the end of the coming season. It may just be more bother then its worth.

I wanted to post this extract from an old minister of mines report from Canada.It speaks to the possible values of Black Sands.I have had to edit the names of the creeks and rivers out because I am in the process of waiting for my own assays from samples I took there to come back. If they are any where close to this old reports statements I will be claiming what is surprisingly open to claim ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old minister of mines report.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	742869
    Last edited by Ayeyou; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11019 times
    Prospecting
    Seems to me that casual miners (most of us on here) should encourage our local prospecting club to gather everyone's black sands as a fundraiser for the club...pay your annual dues with sand! The club could likely accumulate enough to be worth getting it assayed and processed. What do you all think of this? Anyone done it?
    Fullpan, idowa and 1637 like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    181 times
    Prospecting
    A buddy witha claim in iowa hill piles his blavk sand next to his shack; says its his retirement fund. Lol his pile is about the size of a small car.
    GrayCloud likes this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Excellent idea Kevin - If all clubs contributed to the pot, then make one shipment per year, I'm sure they could finance their X-mas parties anyway! Some
    clubs do a version of this now with aluminum cans.

us
    Feb 2013
    Washington State
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    Excellent idea Kevin - If all clubs contributed to the pot, then make one shipment per year, I'm sure they could finance their X-mas parties anyway! Some
    clubs do a version of this now with aluminum cans.
    I think I might have to mention this idea to my club. We're having several beach outings this year and the area has literally tons of black sand. Of course I think there is a law out here that says you can't remove more than 10 gallons of material, but if everyone had 10 gallons of black sand, that would be well over a ton! Might be interesting to see what that would be worth.
    Fullpan likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11019 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks guys, I am going to promote this idea here in Denver too. If each of you takes 10 gallons, you will be amazed since 5 gall of wet black sand is over 200 pounds!!

That stuff is dense ya know!

us
    Feb 2013
    Washington State
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Thanks guys, I am going to promote this idea here in Denver too. If each of you takes 10 gallons, you will be amazed since 5 gall of wet black sand is over 200 pounds!!

That stuff is dense ya know!
    Tell me about it! First time I tried to go beach prospecting, I lugged half a bucket of BS half a mile from the beach to my car. NEVER doing that again!! I thought my arms were going to fall off! It wasn't until after I got back that the old timers tell me to take a wagon with me... Lesson learned!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    11019 times
    Prospecting
    LOL...I did something similar before it occurred to me to use that modern invention - "the wheel"!!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    5406 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBusyJ View Post
    Tell me about it! First time I tried to go beach prospecting, I lugged half a bucket of BS half a mile from the beach to my car. NEVER doing that again!! I thought my arms were going to fall off! It wasn't until after I got back that the old timers tell me to take a wagon with me... Lesson learned!
    Make one of these.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chariot2.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	748208
    I call it the bucket chariot

GG~

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    thats so cool! - GG
    Last edited by Fullpan; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

us
    Feb 2013
    Crestline, Ca.
    White's XLT, Falcon MD 20
    9 times
    Prospecting
    Is that 1/2" EMT electrical tubing? I was an electrician for over 20 years so I recognize the set screw coupling in front of the wheel, I just don't see how EMT could hold up to pulling 2 or 3 hundred pounds around at a time. I agree with fullpan it is very cool!
    Last edited by Meagen's Dad; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    5406 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagen's Dad View Post
    Is that 1/2" EMT electrical tubing? I was an electrician for over 20 years so I recognize the set screw coupling in front of the wheel, I just don't see how EMT could hold up to pulling 2 or 3 hundred pounds around at a time. I agree with fullpan it is very cool!
    Good eye Meagen's Dad

I'm surprised at how well it has held up so far but will most likely replace it with GRC when the EMT fails.
    The only problem so far has been a twisting of the long handle when extreme weight is being hauled.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the handle fails.

GG~

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links