"Where is that creek you go to?"

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know how you feel. It takes a lot of time to find a good spot. The question would always take me by surprise and id end up spilling the beans So being that I only prospect in mariposa. I always say mariposa creek. Lol. Works for me. If there friends I trust I'll share though.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know--most seasoned prospectors respect that and won't push the issue. It's usually the newer prospectors that ask questions like that. So, just politely and directly refuse, and explain that you don't want to give up your spot. If they push after that, they're not respecting your privacy and you'll have to decide on what level of discouragement to use after that. Deflecting the topic, or walking away can be very effective.

To show that you're a good guy, you can direct them to an area where they can certainly find gold--everyone appreciates that--but stay silent on your special place.

I get asked the same type of question all the time by people that want to know where I fish to catch the big ones--I politely refuse or just give them a general area--nothing specific.

The previously mentioned ways are the only ways to protect a honey-hole, whether it's a fishing honey-hole or a gold-laden honey hole.

All the best,

Lanny

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If people ask I send them to a couple of the area's that I have already tried and found some but not a lot of gold, you never know what you miss and it could be their big score. :)
Though, I never release the location of my current hole.
Today we found about 4 grams of chunky gold and two small half gram nuggets in about 2 hours of underwater sniping.

So far only another nice prospector and a crazy old prospector know where my first "Honey Hole" is. :)
Some holes (Like my first) I wont give out the info on because it will replenish with flood gold next year.

When it comes to fishing though, I am an open brook, erm I mean BOOK. :D

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i dont mind telling someone an area but like everyone else im telling them in the river at the park. lot's of spots down there.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
man neo your on some great gold... keep it up :icon_thumright:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep saying it must be for all of those years with nothing to show but a micro or two in my pan. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread