Geologically Jealous

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only I lived in California or another state that has the geology like that. Almost everywhere I look around Wisconsin, there is nothing but dirt, granite, and limestone galore, and nothing else otherwise.
Wisconsin was never blessed with good material from the glaciers and the gold here is extremely limited or non-existant. Flour gold is here but even that is the same. We have diamonds and those are abour as non-existant as gold. I have done all the research on this state as anyone else could, and any excursions here to prospect would be an almost complete waste of time and physical effort.
I would be more then willing to travel anywhere in the U.S., except Alaska (for the time being) to help out on a good claim or work for a mining operation, if it would be worth my time and efforts. It's just that Wisconsin has nothing but worthless dirt, granite, and limestone. I am a very motivated person but not motivated enough to dig and work for nothing. I am just jealous of California and I truly know in my heart of hearts, that California and other states, still hold the motherloads yet to be found. It just takes careful planning, searching the untouched places, and being unrelentingly motivated to find it. It's still out there guys and ladies. I just know that someday I will yell to the sky and say. . . EUREKA. . .EUREKA. . .EUREKA!!!

Eureka!!

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, if your truly motivated, I suggest you spend at least two winters researching calif. mother lode mining history. Then invest about 30 bucks for GoldMapsOnline
or other similar claim overlay maps tied to google earth. They are not that accurate and somewhat outdated, but you can with practice, find claimowners
who, if you write to them, might consider an arrangement. There are thousands and thousands of claims in ca. Quite a few of these claims have been
held(not worked) for 20-30 years or more. In a recent survey the WMA found many claimholders over 70 years old. You get the idea? If you think you
can pack up the jeep and land in ca. without doing homework, you're making a big gamble.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, At least in Wisconsin you don't have earthhquakes, won't fall in the ocean, have to live with the strangest laws ever written by man or woman and wonder if the people driving next to you have just stopped at the vending machine to score their "medical" marijuana. You also don't generally have to wonder if that knockout chick at the party is a man or a woman, your house isn't some shack that cost you $250,000, the police don't shoot you first and then read you your rights and you don't get harassed by a tree hugger's club because you stopped to take a piss on the side of the road. Finally, your state is not continually on fire. See how lucky you are?

OP
OP
BrutalBeck

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we are just an alcohol state with a football problem. How could we ever compare? lol

Eureka!!

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Earth shifts can be the gold hunters friend in many areas .
Most people don't know just how much moving is going on
right under their feet all the time . It is worth the effort to
grid and mark for movement in some areas , in some states.
From inches to feet ...... be it sudden or over several years .
I'm in the New Madrid region . Here is a map of just the last
six months of "measurable" activity .

There are 333 earthquakes on this map.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, i"m not saying my area is cool. We aren't the ends of the Earth, but if you look south or west(staying in Texas) you can see it from here.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Please check the California map on that, the USGS site. Thank you...

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please check the California map on that, the USGS site. Thank you...

Your welcome .

indexfault_map.gif

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So what is it that the map is telling me (besides "move north")?:icon_scratch:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
may not be gold, but you have native copper, & some estremely beautiful agate up there. as well as fossils. I'd go for those since you're up there

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only I lived in California or another state that has the geology like that. Almost everywhere I look around Wisconsin, there is nothing but dirt, granite, and limestone galore, and nothing else otherwise.
Wisconsin was never blessed with good material from the glaciers and the gold here is extremely limited or non-existant. Flour gold is here but even that is the same. We have diamonds and those are abour as non-existant as gold. I have done all the research on this state as anyone else could, and any excursions here to prospect would be an almost complete waste of time and physical effort.
I would be more then willing to travel anywhere in the U.S., except Alaska (for the time being) to help out on a good claim or work for a mining operation, if it would be worth my time and efforts. It's just that Wisconsin has nothing but worthless dirt, granite, and limestone. I am a very motivated person but not motivated enough to dig and work for nothing. I am just jealous of California and I truly know in my heart of hearts, that California and other states, still hold the motherloads yet to be found. It just takes careful planning, searching the untouched places, and being unrelentingly motivated to find it. It's still out there guys and ladies. I just know that someday I will yell to the sky and say. . . EUREKA. . .EUREKA. . .EUREKA!!!

Eureka!!

Another Cheesehead casualty ....................

The cause is being here too long, sad case.

That's why we have beer and the Packers! It's good therapy. :occasion14:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Hey Nephew, just to clarify something! those blips on the states arent from earthquakes! these are locations where ive been and have been eating lots of beans!:)

OP
OP
BrutalBeck

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research on bedrock depth in Wisconsin vs. California. What I have come up with so far is that the comparisons in bedrock are much different in elevations. Wisconsins bedrock is much deeper, while Californias is very shallow.

Eureka!!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider taking some cross-country prospecting trips out to areas where there may be more gold to find. If you contact a prospecting club in the areas you are interested in, maybe you can get some good leads for a week or 2 of your vacation time. You might also consider the 'Alaska Gold Expedition' that the GPAA runs (not cheap, but you will definatly get exposed to what gold prospecting is all about and find out if you are really dedicated to that style of living).

Using a search engine should find you gold prospecting clubs around the country. You can look up GPAA Chapters from this Website:

Chapters

Just choose the state you are interested in - there are 4 GPAA chapters in Wisconsin - attend a few meetings, its free, you don't have to join anything to go to a GPAA meeting; our club does outings in Colorado, and you don't need to be a GPAA member to attend most of them. We had a group of people from Kansas joining us this past summer - we all found gold.

Personally, I would never hire someone to work with me looking for gold that has never done any real prospecting - Its tiring hard work, and unless you know what you are doing, you are apt to throw away a lot of good material.

Get some experiance and try it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrutalBeck

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jmoller99,

I respect your knowledge, but on the other hand. I really don't need any lessons or guidance in gold prospecting. No disrespect to you.

I completely understand what the GPAA is all about. I never joined the GPAA because I prefer to do things on my own. Yes, I have thought about joining a chapter here, but it just isn't for me. I know of all the GPAA chapters in Wisconsin and have been to several places on my own, and have talked to people that were in the same place as me. It was the Tomah chapter, and the Greebush chapter. We talked and shared stories but I never got involved with them. I have done all the prospecting in Wisconsin, that anyone and everyone here could possibly do.
I was just stating (actually trying to be sarcastic) that I am jealous of Californias' geology, because of the imcomparable difference in the amount of gold that is in California, compared to Wisconsin. I also don't need any lessons in gold recovery or how to find it, where to look, and what equipment to use. I am not into large scale mining and do not ever intend on getting involved in any big outfit as of now. I know how to use smaller equipment, from panning to small scale mining. I also have experience in excavating machinery and other various machines used to move materials.
I wasn't offering my help because I am some kid, desperately wanting to make sandcastles. I also don't need any lessons when it comes to gold prospecting or mining. I could run with the best out there and could probably learn a couple things, but could also teach people a few things myself. But, to shorten this as much as possible. Thanks for the help and info, but really, no thanks. Again, no disrespect, and I have all the "experience" I will ever need.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Eureka!!

My home area is like yours--micron gold and all the wrong rocks. Thank heavens I can drive a few hours in several different directions and get to the chunky stuff. And, I must say, if you ever get a chance to get to Alaska--go, go, go! It's an incredible experience. There are lots of other great states other than California that have beautiful, coarser gold as well. Don't ever discount, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Arizona or Nevada either.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
BrutalBeck

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny and back atcha,

I can't wait to get back out there to get my hands dirty again. I had ear surgery a few months back and that really knocked my out of the game. (I was waking up feeling drunk weeks after surgery) I did get out this year a few times and panned every place I thought could even hold flour, but I never found anything but mosquito clouds and blood-suckers. lol. . . I might get out to Marathon County, Wisconsin and do some highbanking near the Flambeau mine yet this year. But, other then that, better plans are set for 2013.

The wife and I are planning a trip next spring to head east to see relatives in Virginia, and then do some digging around the N. Carolina area. Then, hopefully off westward to check out some hot prospects in Montana, N.California, and maybe a couple other nice spots, only if we have enough money or find gold to pay for traveling expenses. I have a really good spot in mind in Montana and the wife really loves the scenery out west. So hopefully our plans don't fall apart by then and we get a good vacation in and finally hit the big one. Wisconsin doesn't hold anything and I am more interested in hitting it big, then just wasting time here with agates, copper, and small gemstones.

Happy Hunting. . .

OP
OP
BrutalBeck

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So what is it that the map is telling me (besides "move north")?:icon_scratch:

Geez Oklahoma! If it isn't the earthquakes, it's the tornados.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread