How a lost mine becomes lost

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The following two pics I find very interesting as it shows just how a mine can become lost.

Here are two pics from one of my claims.

Here is the mine when we first found it in 2005

indidaryl.jpg

Here is the mine this spring...

MikesCamera385.jpg

The Lost gold mines of Seventynine Creek in British Columbia near Stave Lake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow this gives me some perspective to look for. Thanks

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some where's a video of a guy riding in the desert and he's talking about how he came over a ridge and bam, right there was a mine shaft. Coming from the wrong way, into the sun, or late evening, might have turned out different.

I know that is a huge problem in Arizona and why they shut down the department of mines.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good info, thanks for sharing!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pictures offer a whole new perspective on what takes place at the hands of mother nature. Mine shafts or mines of any type are indeed interesting to come across especially to have a glimpse of just how much work was put into them and it was a LOT and then just how did they get all of that stuff back in there?!.....63bkpkr

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DIG IT OUT! :D

Nature has a way of hiding things and places.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see this happen to drift mines all of the time. However, the reverse is true as well. Nature opens them up too, and all of a sudden there's a drift mine above the canyon wall that was never visible before, and several years later, they disappear again.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to a abandoned gold mine above walla walla wa. (owner died years ago) solid basalt rock. opening is about 6 ` by 5` it goes back 100` then down 30`didn`t visit it for about 10 years. now all you can see is 2 black plastic hoses sticking out of the hillside. can`t even tell any thing was ever there.. it was blasted from 1932 on . about 1 oz per ton...just no way to get the rock out of the canyon..

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bell said:
And thats one reason not to venture into them

Yes. Pretty scary to imagine being in there when that happened. A good reminder to think safety and be prepared.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the video with the guy finding a shaft,..

Great video JC!

Always had some trouble with the mine terminology. I knew all the terms but was uncertain as to exactly what they referred to. This video cleared up any confusion I had, such as calling the portal an adit and being hazy on exactly what a winze was.

Thanks for sharing.

GG~

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found the video with the guy finding a shaft,..

Very instructive video--thanks. Hardrockin' is out of my league, and the video really helped with some of the basics.

All the best,

Lanny

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow awsome videos man thanks for the spring picture now it give a whole new prospective on what I need to be looking for when looking for mines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread