Best way to get/buy a mining claim in California?

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
So I have been trying to buy a small placer claim in Northern Ca... near the gold country.. would love to be around Downieville, or N Yuba area. Even near El dorado would do. Bought a BLM book on location and validity of mining claim in CA book, but its not an easy read at all....

How do you buy a claim?? LOL Is there any open areas to claim anymore? Are there claims that are for sale privately? Are there claim available due to people not paying their claim fees? BLM is not alot of help when you ask them questions...

Thanks all...

MY

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you guys are missing the point. The LR2000 is THE SPOT to get the most up-to-date info on claims. TimC can show you where to look.... the same place commercial outfits get info. TimC filed a claim in August and his info has already shown up on the LR2000 site. Quick, I would say. Hoser-John.... your delays may stem from CA, not the BLM site. Just my guess. Since the new fee schedule, MANY AZ sites are showing up as delinquent, closed, and such. Learn the LR2000 board for the most up-to-date info. TTC

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
My claims have yet to be updated. I did the paperwork back in August. Hundereds of claims still showing 2012 as the last assessment year. Last time this happened( to my claims) I called the BLM and they updated it. Better do it again before people start thinking my claims are abandoned

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
49erjohn said:
Hello my brother Mellowyellow, This is what I have been doing to find a claim. I go to the GeoCom and get the plot numbers of the area I want to claim. I then email the BLM office and ask for a list of active and closed clains in that plot. I figure out what claims are in that corner of the plot. Then ask for the serial pages for each claim. In the serial pages there is always a map of that claim. In alot of the closed claims the paper work is right there. Hope this helps...Hello Hoser John!!! a fellow miner JOHN

Thank you brother 49erJohn. More ideas the better! Awesome. Do have any claims? I really want one. I eat my own little piece of prospecting area... Don't get me wrong, I love east fork and mojave but its nothing like being up north near mother Lode. So gorgeous up there. I feel in love when I went to N. Yuba river/Downieville to prospect for a week. What a blast!!! Want more!

God bless
Mellow...

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I filed claim papers 3 weeks ago got them back last week and we're already on LR2000 just went to records and recorded it today DONE DEAL COME GET US COPERS :)

$189 BLM
$26 COUNTY RECORDER
$215.00

Last edited:
OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Rockproperties said:
Hello - they Started calling me 'Rock' on eBay, and I own an LLC Called "Rockproperties USA LLC". It was only today - more than a month after MellowYellow posted this thread, that a friend pointed it out to me.. First of all, there are at least a few misconceptions about who we are and what we do in this thread: "Rockproperties", along with eBay's sales platform, places well over 100 Placer and/or Lode Gold Mining Claims into satisfied customers hands each year. We develop each and every Mining Claim we bring to market: we own just about everything we sell. I grew up in Butte County, California on the West Branch of the Feather River & Butte Creek: sites of some of the many very rich ancient river/placer deposit areas of the CA Gold Rush & still producing today. (Wish there were more public lands on the lower Butte Creek :) I want to chat about a few things, but first about Mellow Yellows' comments: He is absolutely correct, I REALLY dropped the ball on our business together. First, working late in the evening I misinterpreted plat map data that caused my first offering to Mellow to be invalid. Trying again, we missed again and now I've got a highly critical and unhappy miner in my hands! He was refunded and we expressed our apologies. I don't think that any company -Rockproperties included- can have a 100% Customer-happiness Record. It isn't possible. Seen the 'returns line' at Walmart lately? We do not experience anything like that level of a return rate, yet Walmart is the biggest, most successful retailer in the U.S. You get the point: I goofed, somebody decided to get get angry and now Rockproperties is on 'Treasure Net' getting barbed for selling garbage..?? Anyway - no biggie I guess we are all human. I want to say something else real quickly - and this is in support of everyone who prospects, everyone who buys or sells mining claims, mining equipment, picks, pans, shovels and any kind of Metals-Detecting Equipment in the United States. We all contribute to what I'm about to say, but I'm going to express it in the context of my company, "Rockproperties": As I already told you, Rock places over 100 Mining Claim Properties into prospectors' hands each & every year. By doing so, Rockproperties USA LLC alone creates literally hundreds of interested and new voting miners/members to our 'Group' of people! Power is found in numbers, and when we pause to consider scary new legislation concerning such agendas as the possible outlawing of Power Suction Dredging (California), BLM Mining Claim Fee Raises (everywhere - small miners waivers' next??), USFS Legislation regarding access, water turbidity, mine shaft closure (safety is important, but did I get a vote on this??), and who-knows what else is coming down the pike concerning these and other 'issues' - please remember; with the possible exception of good outfits and forums like the GPAA & other mining clubs and online forums such as 'Treasure Net' - Mining Claim & Mining Equipment sellers probably do more to strengthen us as a group than any other single entity, by enlisting new, hopefully voting/supporting members into our group. Rockproperties is a team with team members who work on our offerings in both California and South Dakota. We're family guys who cut our teeth in Gold-Rich counties in our American West..we developed a business 100% in support of what we do as a group, (ALL of us benefit with new membership as "miners" and "prospectors") and we have integrity as a company as well. Yes, I screw up..'Slow' and 'Mr. Sidetracked' can be operative terms for 'Rock' of Rockproperties..my apologies - right now I'm taking the time to write this. But it's because we DO care, we ARE responsible and we are NOT lacking in integrity that I do this. Please remember - sometime, someone will have a bad experience with every company that sells something. But the big picture here to us, is that we should remember to stay strong as a group. We got axed in California (dredging fiasco) by some tribe in the NW simply because us Miners didn't have enough muscle as a group to contend with the opposition. We might have if we'd turned out in more numbers though: to have a louder Voice for Good. Rockproperties wishes you the best and we get excited when YOU succeed!!.. Thank You, 'Rock' of Rockproperties USA LLC

..and..I think this is important too: most folks only buy on eBay, and do not know how eBay operates concerning their all-independant sellers; Rock sells in the 'Real Estate' category on eBay, and the eBay team REALLY watches us! There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers in the world - there ALWAYS were! To Rocks' experience, eBay is likely the safest place to buy Anything online - eBay does NOT tolerate unscrupulous sales/sellers for even 1 day if they are aware of issues and they do pay attention! :)

Wow, I write one sentence about MY experiences with "rock properties " and he writes a book, lol. Ok after talking off air with Rock, I am going to remove my comments about him and his business. What happened, happened, and wont talk about it in public forum. Anyone here can buy claims from where ever they want eBay, Craigslist, rock, ect. I advise people/new prospectors to do proper research before paying anyone though. Don't get caught in a mess like I did. ALL GOOD Good luck!!

Be well all..

MY

Last edited:

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I filed claim papers 3 weeks ago got them back last week and we're already on LR2000 just went to records and recorded it today DONE DEAL COME GET US COPERS :)

$189 BLM
$26 COUNTY RECORDER
$215.00

They finally got mine updated, but it took them 3 + months.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
good info here thanks guys i think i might check into a claim as well maybe a winter project.:icon_thumright:

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I was wanting to go prospecting up there also and was going to check with BLM and i figured id look for my own claim also. Just to much BS. I wrote letters to a bunch of claim owners to come metal detect for they day when i was on vacation up there and no one would let me. Ive now moved to SAC and ill be looking up there. I guess ill have to figure out all the ins and outs of having a claim as i go.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock - How about showing your good faith by getting together with other legitimate colleagues and providing a bus down to San Bernadino to the court cases from norcal? It would be great advertising!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have great news for ya FP-in mexafornia we have a program administered by the Mental Health department to provide free transportation to the mentally handicapped and this insipid exercise in ignorance will surely qualify as all whom are mentally handicapped will attend such a farce-John

Onedigger

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if you are still in sac area and still looking for a claim. I recently let one go and no one has picked it up as far as i know. The gold lays on top of a lava cap that is referred to the blue lead and is in the Yuba drainage. Good access. Great for detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread