Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best way to get/buy a mining claim in California?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times

Best way to get/buy a mining claim in California?

So I have been trying to buy a small placer claim in Northern Ca... near the gold country.. would love to be around Downieville, or N Yuba area. Even near El dorado would do. Bought a BLM book on location and validity of mining claim in CA book, but its not an easy read at all....

How do you buy a claim?? LOL Is there any open areas to claim anymore? Are there claims that are for sale privately? Are there claim available due to people not paying their claim fees? BLM is not alot of help when you ask them questions...

Thanks all...

MY
    Last edited by mellowyellow; Nov 08, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: personal

May 2012
    nevada
    1443 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is an interesting post, for sure!! I've been following Rock Properties listing of N. Yuba claims just out of curiosity. Was your claim going to be upstream from Sierra City (near Bassetts Station)? If so, that area is just above good gold producing districts. I'm not saying there's no gold there, but its not worth what they're asking for the claim. If you are as hot to trot as i think you may be, I can tell you about a gulch dropping into the N. Yuba that
    i'm showing abandened on my overlays. Ten years ago, while taking a break from my dredge camp, i prospected up this gulch and found a ten dollar nugget just laying on bedrock. Other good color in the pan. I always meant to check it out, but life and health got in the way. The two most important
    things for you to do, is take a looksee at the gulch to see for yourself if there's any gold, and check for valid claim signs. Then go to the county recorders
    office, preferably with someone who has experience in this, and find out if its locatable. You may find its just too far to commute from socal as there are
    many areas just as good enroute. PM me if you want to talk.

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Yes, he offered me one if those claims near Sierra City, east if it, I believe.
    Thanks for the heads up on the gulch, would love to talk to you about the location. PM you for sure.

I want to find something like a gulch /feeder and take samples..ect. Go to county office ect.. Only problem is I live very far away. 10 hours away. Another issue is will I be able to truly do this and file my own claim with my experience level in claim filing. Also, I don't get to on large prospecting trips up north to many times per year, so when I'm up there I want to spend the time prospecting not in the county office, completely lost trying to figure out what I'm doing, lol. But I guess I might have to learn and put in the time to get a decent little claim. Thanks for responding and will PM you soon!!
    Last edited by mellowyellow; Nov 08, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

May 2012
    nevada
    1443 times
    Another way to go, is to buy overlays of active mining claims. Then using BLM2000 get names and addresses of long-time claimholders (pre-1990's as there is too much hanky-pank going on since then) and write these guys personal letters, asking for an opportunity to lease their claim with option to
    buy, after a season. If you contact enough claimowners, you'll eventually come up with an old fart(like me) who never attempted to work the banks.
    He would just suck the gut of his claim year after year with a dredge.

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Where do you buy these overlays? I bought a bunch of maps from BLM, but they just show the land.. If its USFF, BLM, or private..ect..

I have heard about this BLM 2000, going to look into it. I assume with these new BLM fees and the economy, there are goin to a few folks dropping there claim/claims... Who knows. I want a claim!! LOL

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1798 times
    Nuttn' but sham skam flim flams abound everywhere as the get rich crows sell noobs worthless garbage they don't even own-no yaaa on this post. Slow down and claim your own,reread that book till ya know whatzup. Get your cash back and sue them sobs till death do ye part-god I hate thieves-John

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John
    Nuttn' but sham skam flim flams abound everywhere as the get rich crows sell noobs worthless garbage they don't even own-no yaaa on this post. Slow down and claim your own,reread that book till ya know whatzup. Get your cash back and sue them sobs till death do ye part-god I hate thieves-John
    Maybe you have a good point. I seem to get into problems sometimes, when I am super fired up over something and not real sure of what I am doing. When it comes to buyin a claim and locating on my own... I prob should slow down and figure it out before I get railed again eh! Thanks for the harsh truth.

May 2012
    nevada
    1443 times
    John is right, if you go through commercial middle men like Rock Properties or Ebay, there's a 90% chance of getting screwed. All i'm saying is there are
    over 20,000 valid mining claims in calif. I know personally that some of these carry decent values on gravel bars where the owner only dredged his claim.
    Some of these claimowners live in places like Florida and Pennsylvania, and in the past have used vacation time to dredge their properties. If you are patient enough to deal directly with them something good may come out of it. BLMLR2000, although not always accurate provides a window to names,
    addresses, dates of original location of claims(ex. Golden Nugget #2 - Date of loc. Sep. 28, 1979).

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    This I what I want to find out. You said there are tons of avail claims in CA. Now how do I find out where and what they are? The BLM2000 is the way to find this information? Thank you sir

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    882 times
    Interesting subject...so I did a little internet wondering and came up with a number of brokerages such as Some Of The Highest Quality Unpatented Gold Mining Claims Offered On Today's Market - High-Grade Gold Mining Claims For Sale

The above site provides a wealth of information...this may be useful in establishing a profitable region.

Not sure if they are subject to the Real Estate laws of California (and other states), but if they are, the chances of finding a site may be increased a thousand-fold.

Last edited by stefen; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    Jul 2012
    Torrance, California
    MPX Digital and Garret Pin-Pointer
    Prospecting
    Download and Install Google Earth and find some overlays for it, those should help you in finding a location. I have overlays that show closed and open mine claims as well as another that shows older mines and what they were mined for. Hope this helps!

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Thank you... I know now what overlays are, LOL Ok, so i assume you pay for these over lays? Guess I will just google "mining overlays" see wut happens. Thanks again.

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Thats interesting...did not know you can lease a claim for a week, LOL A bit pricey, but if u hit a winning hole, your all good. Think I would rather put the cash toward my own claim. Thanks !

May 2012
    nevada
    1443 times
    I use Gold Maps Online: Gold Panning Maps About 20 dollars for calif overlays

us
    Gold Dredger 2nd Generation

Dec 2010
    N. Cal - Born & Raised
    63 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    I use Gold Maps Online: Gold Panning Maps About 20 dollars for calif overlays
    Don't waste your money! Accurancy is not there, and never will be comes down to the core BLM data and we all know how that goes.

Lot's of ways to get your money but all the same, shady mining of miners. Seen it for over 40 years goes all the way back to the Gold Rush days. None worse than the Klamath fun fun club.

Do the footwork, County Recorder, BLM, and yes hike in and check it out. Get out the maps and the hiking boots. Only Viable Method to be sure.
    Last edited by Gravel Hog; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors