All prospectiing is now viewed as a THREAT to the San Gabriel River...yes I said ALL

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raw Dog, Gold Paw, Jack, Fresno Mark, & Hoshnashi.....
Sorry....I actually had to work a little.
I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
Cut/past this: Overuse threatens East Fork of the San Gabriel River - Los Angeles Times
I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
I don't know where this is going to go.....but I know its not going to be good.
There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). I'm not going to stop prospecting until they run me off. As.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED, AND THATS A GOOD THING.
David
[email protected] DSCN2543.JPG DSCN2548.JPG

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under staffed, under funded.......
Much easier and cheaper to just close off the area than to police it.
Wouldn't be the first time.

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DSCN2546.JPG
Goodguy....you're probably right. Just like the fact that the USFS is supposed to be closing 60% of the trails that are under their control, as they have lost manpower to "police" them. Maybe I'm too old....but trails are used by animals, as well as "man". Plus....why do they have the right to close something that is a natural accurance......now they're going to make sure that the rabbits, deer, goats, cattle "don't use trails".......LOL!!

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that the Sierra club was mentioned. That is the LAST thing we need.

I'd prefer much less forestry service involvement and more personal freedom to protect myself.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You chose to live in California. Do you vote? Do you organize? The people of your state have passed laws to protect the environment for everybody. Maybe a new hobby, like golf or tennis.

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes....I chose to live here, as my parents, grandparents and great grandparents did......and I have fought the government/establishment for over 40 years. I was in the antique gun business.....and spent hundreds of thousands of $$ on attorney's to keep ATF and the Calif DOJ at bay. It was a very good & profitable business...thank God. Every year there are less and less FFL's nationwide. In the last 15 years there has been a reduction in dealers by 60%. The Government/bureaucrats are not our friends. Its all about controlling "you and I"....and limiting our freedoms. At one time....I was going to move to Nevada.....that's when I decided to "not run....and leave the state"....like so many of my other gun dealer friends. I stood my ground....and God saw that I prevailed. And that is the attitude we have to take....as the GOLD is here in Calif. I will stay and stand my ground. Sometimes in life.....it seems easier to give in and run.....but, I never will. I will use the system against them.....I've found that they are bad liers, and are bad witnesses....Oooops! So sorry, got on my soap-box.

You chose to live in California. Do you vote? Do you organize? The people of your state have passed laws to protect the environment for everybody. Maybe a new hobby, like golf or tennis.[/QUOTE]

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Unfortunately it is happening all over the place. I don't have enough links to articles I have read in the last couple years, and more so very recently. Wasn't there some type of eminent domain story this year in the San Gabriels? Also, folks in Yucca Valley fighting to keep the Dale district from being incorporated into Joshua Tree ntnl monument. Story out of Idaho recently, fisherman up in arms over prospectors dredging and property seizures in Oregon. I say go out, have a good time while you still can. Our gov no longer listens, and if they do the surely do not represent the people. They pander to special interests and their lawsuits

StevenHavillJr

Jul 15, 2012
Canyon Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
MPX Digital and Garret Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will stick to GG about this one. I went there with a friend.. the folk there very disrespectful when me and my friend tried to pan out there.. I do believe we were in a bad part of the river.. kids littering capre sun packets.. guys breaking glass bottles, shooting pellet guns near/around people, moss green clothes stuck in the water... I couldn't stand being there, I truly wasted my time there. I can see why they wanna do what they wanna do there.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
That's not goo to hear. Been to east fork 3 times, real nice place, at least was/could be a nice place. The only problem is the people who raid it on weekends, and have zero respect for the land/river. We all know who these people are , and they are not the prospectors.

I have found a few small flakes there, but I was beginning to wonder if there is any gold left to find! I hear you have to hike out for a few miles to possibly find better color. Worth it?

Good luck to all...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0720.JPG

Here's a good example of forest service BS. Push your motorcycle up the steep trail, fire it up and ride down. WTF? :BangHead:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol, thats an awesome pic.

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately it is happening all over the place. I don't have enough links to articles I have read in the last couple years, and more so very recently. Wasn't there some type of eminent domain story this year in the San Gabriels? Also, folks in Yucca Valley fighting to keep the Dale district from being incorporated into Joshua Tree ntnl monument. Story out of Idaho recently, fisherman up in arms over prospectors dredging and property seizures in Oregon. I say go out, have a good time while you still can. Our gov no longer listens, and if they do the surely do not represent the people. They pander to special interests and their lawsuits

Jack.....it is happening everywhere.....not just in Calif. Other states are getting hit as well.
David

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steven.....its bad on the weekends at the San Gabriel River....but, just as bad at the Cajon Wash on weekends too. That is why I go out to these locations only on weekdays. There's only a few, and they don't bother "us". Yes, I only go out there with other prospectors. Its not safe to be out in the wilderness "alone".......as both of these places are near The Big City.........which means the bad-element's come out to do their dirty-business in remote areas. Its sad.....but true. Even though I'm always "packing"......I really don't want to resort to that. Plus....there is less chance of being hasseled by rangers on the weekdays. They're probably busy doing paperwork from the weekend. LOL!!
David
Tunny, APSS-282

I will stick to GG about this one. I went there with a friend.. the folk there very disrespectful when me and my friend tried to pan out there.. I do believe we were in a bad part of the river.. kids littering capre sun packets.. guys breaking glass bottles, shooting pellet guns near/around people, moss green clothes stuck in the water... I couldn't stand being there, I truly wasted my time there. I can see why they wanna do what they wanna do there.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's stupid! This is even stupid'r....... DSCN2398.JPG
I'm on a dirt road in the middle of the desert and over 10 miles from a paved road. These signs are posted about every 1/4 mile for about 3 miles on this dirt road. I haven't seen a car in many trips to this area. There are not any structures in over 20 miles....and the sign says "NO PARKING, IDLING OR LOITERING". Whats with that? There isn't any construction or traffic on the road...??? The desert is one big parking lot.....idling? Loitering?

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
austin said:
You chose to live in California. Do you vote? Do you organize? The people of your state have passed laws to protect the environment for everybody. Maybe a new hobby, like golf or tennis.

What is the point of this post? Entice civil involvement? Or are you saying prospecting is against the people and "protecting the land"? Also golf & tennis? No thanks not my crowd.

OP
OP
D

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the point of this post? Entice civil involvement? Or are you saying prospecting is against the people and "protecting the land"? Also golf & tennis? No thanks not my crowd.

My sentiment too.....I think Austin believes that "WE" pass the laws.....no....politicians pass 99% of the laws. And they don't listen to their constituents.....they listen to their $$$ contributors. I am a believer in "individual rights....given to us by the Constitution" and if what I do doesn't harm anyone....THEN LEAVE ME ALONE.....and let the rest of us enjoy the world we live in. I even say: let the golfers....take "sections" of land for their golf courses. Where I live in Palm Desert....the area has over 120 golf courses. That's 120 square miles of desert taken away for a "silly little ball".......but, thats ok. Let the golfer displace the desert tortoise....coyotes, rabbits, squirrels......they don't have a chance....politicians like golf.

Last edited:

RANGER31

Mar 3, 2011
lousisiana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what its all about AGENDA21 please watch the video it is right one the nose about what they are doing and are implementing as we speak they don't want us on eny public land at all hell they even what to take the land u own also.

RANGER

nuggetgopher

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep your sniveling , point of view and comments in Texas.... lol

All they need to do is close it during fire season , the "southern" litter bugs only go up there in summer months....

if you look at comments in the LA times article , Its very clear , we all know who is ruining the canyon for EVERYONE...... not "us" prospectors

Us prospectors who have a life and a job and help keep the river clean and dont live on it ,
Will end up being collateral damage...... :BangHead:

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your sniveling , point of view and comments in Texas.... lol

All they need to do is close it during fire season , the "southern" litter bugs only go up there in summer months....

if you look at comments in the LA times article , Its very clear , we all know who is ruining the canyon for EVERYONE...... not "us" prospectors

Us prospectors who have a life and a job and help keep the river clean and dont live on it ,
Will end up being collateral damage...... :BangHead:

Nuggetgopher speaks the truth...

However... The "people" you refer to, that are trashing the river...They are the ones ruining it for us. It's not really a blame game about whos doing it. They want to close it down because its getting trashed/no money to police it. Although, it is true that the la times lumped us in with the thousands of people trashing the river every Sunday...Not cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread