Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Prospecting Trabuco Creek in the Santa Ana mountains?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Grande Gringo

Oct 2012
    Irvine, CA
    Prospecting

Prospecting Trabuco Creek in the Santa Ana mountains?

I have been wanting to try panning/sluicing Trabuco Creek for sometime and wanted to see if anyone had any tips, spots or places to avoid? Can you find color without going to the end of the dirt road and hiking in (Parking lot for Holly Jim and Horse Thief Trail)? If you need to hike in- how far and which trail? I have been hearing warnings and story's about a larger than average snake population this year- have you had any challenges? It's that time of the year!
    Thanks
    Troy

us
    The Oak

May 2012
    Southern California
    Just Me For the time being
    4 times
    Prospecting
    I really want to get to Trabuco Creek and do some digging myself.
    I ran an Ultramarathon in this area a couple of years back and had the Mine Shaft pointed out to me.
    The only things I have seen or heard of regarding prospecting are the following videos on "youtube".
    Hope I can get up there one day and test the color. I am not to far from there but, Gotta get me a good sluice first.
    Good Luck to Ya!!!
    The Oak
    ----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Prospecting at Trabuco Creek 1/17/11
    (slackmason's) Channel
    Trabuco Trail Gold Mine Shaft
    (Dr.Skorzy) Channel

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Fisher Gold Bug II
    456 times
    Prospecting
    Awesome video's.
    Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

Mar 2012
    Costa Mesa
    Gold Bug, Ace 250, Google Earth
    115 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was just about to say that it's probably not worth it, then I saw the video above. Still, the canyon was not known for gold mining. Silverado had a large silver mine that produced some gold as well.

I grew up at the base of Saddleback and been metal detecting out there many times. Was out there last Friday in fact. I was detecting at the concrete bridge at the beginning of the Cleveland NF, remember your Adventure pass. Didn't find anything, but that would be a good place to check since it is a 5-6' high solid concrete bridge waterfall. I don't see gold getting out of that area unless it's a major flood. It's totally dry right now.

I'd be happy to go out with you guys if your interested, but we have to be aware of the claims there.
    Last edited by MrLee; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Grande Gringo

Oct 2012
    Irvine, CA
    Prospecting
    Thanks for the feedback Oak and Mr Lee,
    I'm going to head-up the next avaliable weekend after the first big rain storm if your interested. I have no idea were the spots that have shown color in the past. I figure you need water if you want to pan or sluice.

I also found this review on gold in Trabuco Creek:

Trabuco Creek Gold

us
    The Oak

May 2012
    Southern California
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Lets try to stay in touch. It would be cool if we could hook up & hit Trabuco at the same time. Pooling our equipment so to speak. My problem is I am short a sluice right now but I sure as hell have a pan, shovel and snipe pump. Not afraid to work, get dirty and usually end up wet if there is even a drop of water within a mile. Could be humorous.
    Damn that almost sounded like a classified ad.
    Let us know if you head up there and how it turns out. I might be available on Sun. 14th & Mon. 15th. Good Luck

Aug 2012
    2 times
    there is gold, and few claims in the area you mentioned , Hit up HBProspector he owns a few claims near HorseTheif, he's on Gpaa or gold prospectors network he can fill you in on area

Mar 2012
    Costa Mesa
    115 times
    Ya, that place is claimed up. I checked out the filings on LR2000, current. I would not attempt to go out there again without permission from the claim owner.

us
    The Oak

May 2012
    Southern California
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    Ya, that place is claimed up. I checked out the filings on LR2000, current. I would not attempt to go out there again without permission from the claim owner.
    MrLee
    Are those claims that you refer to in Trabuco & Horse Thief?
    What about the canyons away from water?
    Last edited by Oakstrails; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Aug 2012
    2 times
    Im on the claims and i dont mind , But talk with HBprospector to make sure he doesnt mind there really his.... And he has been mining the canyon for years he will help you out on locating the right spots there....

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1570 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Just checked this out--fun little videos. Furthermore, I enjoyed how you could hear the water dripping in the mine.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Mar 2012
    Costa Mesa
    115 times
    Oak, answered your PM, but I'll say it here as well. The creek is claimed up, plots 4, 5 & 6 which covers most of the creek. I didn't research any of the other plots because I was only concerned with the creek.

us
    Jun 2009
    79 times
    hello everyone,

The upper portion of horsethief canyon is mostly open. the good gold is deep…..10ft plus. i have been mining there for years and i find a little bit here and there. PM me and i’ll let you in on some places that are good

us
    Feb 2013
    TRABUCO CANYON, CA
    GARRETT ACE 350
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hbprospector View Post
    hello everyone,

The upper portion of horsethief canyon is mostly open. the good gold is deep…..10ft plus. i have been mining there for years and i find a little bit here and there. PM me and i’ll let you in on some places that are good
    I would love any hints you have. I'm trying to go out there with my Dad to have some panning fun and see what we can find. Any help would be appreciated. Also any advice would be awesome...

us
    Jun 2009
    79 times
    Do your research on the area. Most of the canyon is claimed up. Don't get caught on sometimes claim, not all of the owners are as nice as me.
    adam686 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors