UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking at underwater viewing methods for some time now, and want to suggest a product that would be very useful in sniping, and prospecting in general. I have an android smartphone with a HD display, and a micro-USB port as well. I would like to come up with a small corded waterproof endoscope type camera that streams live 1080p video to my smartphone display, with LED lights for illumination, that plugs into my micro-USB port. It would also have a long cord, so you could reach deep underwater with this mounted on an extension rod. You could also use it to reach into crevises and small areas on dry land to check for nuggets there too.

I have been looking all over the net, and have come up empty. Several other people are working on this online, but it seems the software is not configured in the current android version to allow such a use of the phone. Of course, I would also like this hardware to work with tablets as well. If anyone has any ideas of how to get this implemented, please sound off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted here in awhile, but haven'tgiven up on this idea at all. Just continuing to look for the right camera. I have sent many emails to camera manufacturers, but few have responded. Then I found this

RePlay XD Action Camera

This part in particular got my interest: "Replay XD1080 is the first to stream full 1080 HD through the built-in HDMI out connector. You can record and stream your video simultaneously or just stream your video straight to an external HD recorder or transmitter."

I have an HDMI port on my Samsung smartphone. Trying to figure out if I can stream video to the display screen through the HDMI port now. If so, I would just need a waterproof enclosure, a long HDMI cable, and some LED lights for illumination, to make this whole concept become a reality. I also expect camera & phone manufacturers to catch up soon and start adding more functionality to their products whenit comes to integration between cameras like these and smart phones. I will keep everyone posted. My goal is to have this built and tested by spring runoff in the San Juans, for use on several expeditions I have planned.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long time of intensive research on this, and looking at dozens and dozens of candidate video cameras and software applications, I must admit defeat on this project. It is currently not possible to use a droid based smartphone to display video from a cabled video camera. The capability exists for wireless cameras, but in an underwater application such as this, wireless signals travel less than 1/2". I am still exploring whether or not a wireless signal can be transmitted through the inside of the extension pole to the outside air or not, but not holding my breath.

I am now looking at biting the bullet and buying a windows based tablet or phone that runs a full version of windows with full USB capability. Then there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to cameras, including HD webcams. I have one sitting in my window right now watching over the front of my place. I wanted to avoid buying any new expensive display equipment, but would rather do so than not have this capability come next summer.

However, if anyone comes across anything in the future, feel free to post it. I will do the same, and I will eventually have some video to post after I get everything in use in the field.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold the phone! I just found this device, which allows USB devices to stream video to any wireless device, like cell phones.

Hyper introduces new line of iUSBport storage options for Wi-Fi devices

I have to contact them to make sure about its capabilities, but it looks like you could mount this device at the user end of your camera extension pole, plug a USB camera to it, and it would then send the video signal to the phone for viewing. I honestly expect more technology within the next 12 months that could provide an even easier solution. Onward and upward.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dangit! Damnation! I just heard back from the manufacturer, and this won't work either. Still looking....

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I am headed off to another prospecting vacation in a week or so, and finally have a solution to this underwater video sniper concept. The camera Replay XD Action camera I posted about above has an accessory called the ReView Field Monitor, which is a 4.5 inch HD display for use with the RePlay XD. Together as a package they price out close to $500. And they have a deep diving acrylic case with high optic front face for $50. This camera streams live 1080i at 60 frames per second to the monitor via a long HDMI cable. So you can record and see live action at the same time in the highest definition possible. Perfect for this application. More expensive than I wanted, but hey, if nothing else I can use the camera for other projects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem now is figuring out the best way to run the HDMI cable through the acrylic diving case so it doesn't leak into the camera compartment. The diving case is made for use without the HDMI cable plugged in. I figure globbing it up with silicone should work, but it you have a better idea, please post it here.

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You got any vids yet? I went out today and had a blast. No gold but a good time.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncle Matt,
Here is a new camera to check out................63bkpkr

[h=1] 1.2mm camera[/h]
[h=2]New! Single-use 1.2mm diameter camera! [/h] For further details about this camera or to request a quote, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

1-2-microcamera-medigus.jpg
The outer diameter size of this revolutionary camera is only 1.2mm x 5mm long and is by far the smallest video camera in the world. The medical micro camera, which is based on an advanced CMOS image sensor, offers high performance at low cost and combines superb sensitivity, resolution and dynamic sensitivity.

When purchased in large quantities,the micro camera module is completely disposable eliminating the need for the very costly sterilization process commonly associated with endoscopic procedures. As such, the camera is designed to be incorporated into single-use endoscopes or used in various diagnostic and surgical medical procedures.

In terms of price, the camera is suitable for single-use only when purchased in large quantities.
The camera is also suitable for various industrial, mechanical and inspection applications and can also be integrated into borescope, devices for Remote Visual Inspection (RVI), Non-destructive Testing (NDT), Machine Vision systems etc.
The camera system includes the camera and a video processor.

[h=4]Specifications of 1.2mm camera[/h]
Image pick-up deviceCMOS
Effective pixels49,280
Resolution220H X 224V
Camera head housingStainless Steel
Optics100° (130° also available)
Shape of camera headCircular
Outer diameter size of camera head1.2mm
Length of camera head5.0mm (including optics)
Cable lengthUp to 8 meters
Video processor (dimensions)290mm(W) x 80mm(H) x 270mm(D)

The 1.2mm camera works with the following video processors:
[h=3]Option A: IntroSpicio video processor for 1.2mm camera[/h]
[h=4]Specifications for IntroSpicio video processor for 1.2mm camera[/h]
Video outputS-video NTSC or S-Video PAL
VGA
Composite
Dimensions290mm(W) x 80mm(H) x 270mm(D)
Power supplyAC100-240 50/60Hz
System functions White Balance, Automatic Gain Control, Color Correction, Brightness Control, Freeze,
Print, Save
[h=3][/h] [h=3]Option B: HD Rainbow video processor[/h] New DSP-based platform that provides impressive image quality in HD format (HDMI output).
The processor offers advanced image-correction algorithms, internal recording capabilities, a user-friendly touch-screen interface that allows the user to optimize the image quality as well as firmware upgrades capability using Ethernet connectivity.

[h=4]Specifications for HD Rainbow video processor for 1.2mm camera[/h]
Video outputHDMI
Dimensions290mm(W) x 100mm(H) x 350mm(D)
Power supplyAC100-240 50/60Hz
System functions Wide range of functions.
System is flexible such that customer can request to add additional features.

Required accessories for the camera system:

• monitor
  • light source
Please refer to the following link in order to view video sample using Medigus 1.2mm camera:
http://www.medigus.com/medigus-products/videos
[h=4]John Chambers, CEO, Cisco talks about Medigus miniature camera[/h]

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a thought but could you find a way to run the wireless antenna through the pole holding the camera? that way the signal would get to it out of the water and you could use the wireless capability of the android without having to figure out how to use a usb? This would be pretty cool with one of those waterproof samsung galaxy phones or even a tablet but not sure if they make any waterproof tables yet.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea, and it occurred to me too. An alternative would be to run an antenna up the pole, but then you might as well use a wired camera then.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nikon makes fantastic underwater cameras under $150 and rated best buy from Consumers reports. My Nikon Coolpix 530-good to 10'-wide 3 x zoom + digital to 5+ ,shockproof,shoots great video and adjustable mgpxs. Amazing computer,gift from a great daughter. :headbang:John

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to check out the GoPro waterproof camera. GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera It has built in WiFi with the ability to transmit to your iPhone/iPad and android devices. It can do 2k as well at 1080.

Ah you beat me to it Mr. Brunner.
I see that set-up all the time with Drones.
Maybe make something that hangs around your neck to hold you phone or tablet hands free in front of you.
The Go-pro on the end of as long a stick as you want.
everything controlled on your phone.
Better yet get the Google glasses!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out some of the ROV sites like Speleo - ROV These guys have done all the head banging & engineering for camera housings. Might be an idea, make a housing on the end of 1/2" PVC pipe with a length of cable + connectors in each section for portability. You can find single board cameras all over. For cameras try looking for SWANN. The PVC union housing plan worked out great to put a under cabinet light into with zip cord wound around 1/2" extensions. Used hose clamps to hold it on the pipe. Believe it or not it worked out great using an old Commodore 1702 monitor. Now, I use a Honestech video to DVD usb converter. Allows recording and you can use a laptop as a monitor. 40' length for under $100.

Seriously! Check out the ROV sites! Great ideas & they've done all the work for cams that'll go 100' or more!

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fun Idea, but you don't really want to find any gold do you? I think You're just looking for an excuse to play with that stupid phone. Leave that thing at home, get in the water, and move some rocks. Gold does not usually just sit on the bottom where you can see it. It hides under boulders and inside bedrock that needs to be broken. I don't mean to be a dick about this. It does sound like a fun thing to play with. And I know there are plenty of other folks out there who would rather get a bad case of smart phone face than wet hair. And you could get very rich off them.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun Idea, but you don't really want to find any gold do you? I think You're just looking for an excuse to play with that stupid phone. Leave that thing at home, get in the water, and move some rocks. Gold does not usually just sit on the bottom where you can see it. It hides under boulders and inside bedrock that needs to be broken. I don't mean to be a dick about this. It does sound like a fun thing to play with. And I know there are plenty of other folks out there who would rather get a bad case of smart phone face than wet hair. And you could get very rich off them.

My phone is one of the tools I use to prospect. It allows me to track exactly where I find good sites, it allows me to know my exact position at all time, it allows me to know what direction I am headed, and many other things as well. So sorry you don't understand or employ current technologies. But there is nothing wrong when people choose to do so. And if you didn't mean to be a mean dick, then why were you?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, it is our duty to know exactly where we are when prospecting, and whose land or claim we are on. And yes the technology IS available to us to know these things, so there is no excuse for trespassing. I am glad that you are one of the guys who knows exactly where they are. And I think that you have a cool and fun idea. I just don't think an under water camera of any kind will actually up your poke. Moving rocks will. I do apologize for the attitude.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first underwater sniping video was done with a phone in a dry case, it has its place Hunterbill.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an endoscope which I zip tied to a stick.

The endoscope's camera is 7mm in diameter and has LED lights which are adjustable in brightness through the use of a thumbwheel located on the cable.

The USB cable which connects the camera to the Android phone is 15 feet long, but you can get it ordered in different lengths.

The camera is waterproof and it has a slight magnification to it. The resolution is absolutely perfect.

The app that it works with is called CameraFi and it's available for free from the Google Play Store. You can even take pics and video with this app if you want.

The price? I paid 24 dollars for mine from Amazon. Just search for "Bluefire Android Endoscope".

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread