prospecting partner in tucson area

ky gold

Greenie
Jun 25, 2010
ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, tesoro tejon, garret infinium ls
Is there anyone who can get out a couple days at a time this Winter to prospect with me in the tucson area? I spent last Winter prospecting alone most of the time and didn't care for it too much when I was close to the border. I carry a 357 and ar with me for protect but it would be nice to have an extra set of eyes and guns with me. I'll be heading back out that way end of Nov.
Thanks, Tony

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there anyone who can get out a couple days at a time this Winter to prospect with me in the tucson area? I spent last Winter prospecting alone most of the time and didn't care for it too much when I was close to the border. I carry a 357 and ar with me for protect but it would be nice to have an extra set of eyes and guns with me. I'll be heading back out that way end of Nov.
Thanks, Tony

Hey Tony I am knew to prospecting but not knew to the outdoors. I too live in Tucson and hear your concerns along the border. October, November, and December are all hunting season months and also when its a high time for those you don't want to run into while out in the mountains. I am in the process of get gear together. I like the idea down south but I am going to avoid it. Living on the far eastside of Tucson I am planning on checking out the Catalina's.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ky. I think I can help you out. When will you be here? I plan on being up at the RV the end of Nov. Maybe we can work something out. I can't be there all winter but can probably buddy-up for a week or so. I can still hit a B27 at 300 yards with my mini-14. It will also give me a chance to scout the Tucson area. Will be a new area for me. PM or e-mail. [email][email protected][/EMAIL] (don't forget the underline between the first and last name) TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there's a hunting season for illegals crossing the border? I want in on that one :icon_thumleft:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there's a hunting season for illegals crossing the border? I want in on that one :icon_thumleft:
A certain biker group offered their help to AZ, pro gratus. They were turned down. I can understand the liability factor. Even if unarmed, a few thousand "listening posts" with radios would go a long way in taking back our state of Arizona. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Terry. But I'm not going anywhere near that border unarmed.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you Terry. But I'm not going anywhere near that border unarmed.
I would not be that close to the border unarmed either. What I meant was the Listening posts could be armed, for self defense, but would not have a blocking force status.... just observation and report. TTC

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ky. I think I can help you out. When will you be here? I plan on being up at the RV the end of Nov. Maybe we can work something out. I can't be there all winter but can probably buddy-up for a week or so. I can still hit a B27 at 300 yards with my mini-14. It will also give me a chance to scout the Tucson area. Will be a new area for me. PM or e-mail. [email][email protected][/EMAIL] (don't forget the underline between the first and last name) TTC

Terry, I have a 300 mag bull barrel riffle outfitted with with 6.5 to 20 power Leopold scope that is a tac driver at 500 yards. The problem down south is these criminals are watching you. I sit behind a pair of 15x60 Zeiss Binoculars on a tripod and have found these mule trains walking the bottom of the canyons. 36B was my favorite unit and this is in gold country. South of Pena Blanca lake is gold country with claims all over, but the drug cartel are moving their loads on the backs of these border crossers and leaving these packs under trees. You can bet those retrieving the packs are nearby and are very well armed. It’s a very well organized operation that you don’t want to get in the middle of. Some packs have the goods and some packs have the cash you just don’t want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I have a 300 mag bull barrel riffle outfitted with with 6.5 to 20 power Leopold scope that is a tac driver at 500 yards. The problem down south is these criminals are watching you. I sit behind a pair of 15x60 Zeiss Binoculars on a tripod and have found these mule trains walking the bottom of the canyons. 36B was my favorite unit and this is in gold country. South of Pena Blanca lake is gold country with claims all over, but the drug cartel are moving their loads on the backs of these border crossers and leaving these packs under trees. You can bet those retrieving the packs are nearby and are very well armed. It’s a very well organized operation that you don’t want to get in the middle of. Some packs have the goods and some packs have the cash you just don’t want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Hey AZ, good to see someone still likes to shoot! My favorite rig in the late 70's was a Remmington 700 BDL police special (bull barrel) in .222 Rem. On the top was a Leatherwood scope... on the bottom, Harris pods. I could shoot a group with that outfit that would fit under a dime at 100 yards.... cold barrel. In '84 I was sent to long range rifle instructor school for the police dept. I shot 80% at Camp Perry's 500 yard line with a borrowed gun (they required I use a company gun). I have dozens of handgun trophies shooting for the police dept. When I moved south in '91, I was ranked 14th in the state (WI). Hmmm, is my PASSION for shooting showing through my ego?? I will give the non-shooters a break and shut up now. Take care. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry it's getting so bad. The drug trafficking really is an escalating, dangerous problem.

All the best,

Lanny

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the National Guard?
Everyone knows about the cartel and the drug mules crossing the border into Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Why isn't anything being done?

Somebody at the top is getting paid to look the other way on this.
From what I understand the president has issued a stand down order against the cartel.

Homeland Security is a joke when it comes to securing our southern border with Mexico >:(

I say, send in the snipers and drones!

This video is from 2 years ago and its apalling that nothing has been done to secure our border.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems votes are more important than Brian Terry and the other agent killed. TTC

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
In California, they are saving there resources to go after dredgers:icon_scratch:

Everyone knows about the cartel and the drug mules crossing the border into Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

From what I understand the president has issued a stand down order against the cartel.

Homeland Security is a joke when it comes to securing our southern border with Mexico >:(

This video is from 2 years ago and its apalling that nothing has been done to secure our border.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy, I have given up on hunting the elusive Coues Deer (Gray Ghost) in the units of 36A, 36B, 36C. Rather sad I pay taxes and can’t enjoy the land that I have hunted on for 30 years because we have lost our backbone in Washington. Take a look at the photo of the environmental damage that the illegals cause as they come through Arizona. Talk about environmental damage, a police officer in pursuit cannot hold a candle to the damage they inflict on an area. A Homeland Security and Interior Dept. agreement mandates U.S. Border Patrol agents pursue drug smugglers and illegal aliens on foot through 40 acres of Arizona’s Organ Pipe National Monument because of a pond containing federally protected desert pupfish. Agents may use horses, but only if the steed eats weed-free feed so its feces won’t impact the ecosystem. You should see this area from above. Canyons after Canyons of remote desert are filled with backpacks, coats, shoes, water jugs, etc.

illegals1.png

illegals2.jpg

illegals3.jpg

illegals4.jpg

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how he feels.
25226654.jpg

Oct 28, 2012
Coolidge,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bog Pro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tony

Hi.... Getting back to the original post.... I am always open to meeting new prospecting friends. I always carry myself, but I have never had any kind of problems while prospecting or just exploring the desert. I have encountered illegals before, but for the one you see i am sure there are others that you don't. I always took my dog with me in the past, he could here and see much better than myself and was a great deterrent to strangers. I live north of Tucson and i can head in any direction, so if anyone wants a new prospecting friend just email me. [email protected]

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread