Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Utah Prospector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Utah
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

New Utah Prospector

Hey fellas my name is Colby I'm from northern Utah. Just got in to panning an built me a sluice but don't know what general areas in my area to look . I have tried the weber river but all I seem to turn up is small quartz an lead shavings. Maybe I'm not digging deep enough? Not getting large amount of black sand just a bit. Anyways you guys seem like a great wealth of knowledge so any help y'all give is just awesome ..... Thanks fellas

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    102 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    This sounds close to you:

Panning for Gold in Prospecting Forum

Good reference material:

Utah's Gold Placers - Utah Geological Survey
    Last edited by jmoller99; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

wally62us
    I live in northern utah as well. We have done very well up in American fork canyon. Down in sevier county. We have only found lots of flour. The gold in utah is very fine. You are more than welcome to come with us when we go with use when we go. Might hit american fork next weekend. We just bought a keene backpack dredge. Going to try and get it in to some streams that the big dredges cant get to.

us
    Oct 2012
    Utah
    16 times
    Great in info Jmoller thanks for taking the time to find that, it should help me out alot. Ya wally I did hear AF canyon is pretty good. I would love to tag along I just haven't got down where to dig am how deep. I think the areas I dig are good areas just don't know how deep to dig before I start panning material. I built a sluice box an have tested it with small lead shavings thrown in a bucket of material to see how much of the pieces I could catch , surprising I caught all of them in my sluice .

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    629 times
    Hi Utduder and welcome to the forum.
    You need to dig on the inside bend on a creek where gravel bars form. Start at the upper end of the bar. How deep you dig before panning depends on how deep it is to bedrock. If it is rather shallow or exposed in places pan or sluice right away. If it is deep then sample pan as you dig down until you start to see signs of paydirt,(gold). Generally you want to see color before you spend any time sluiceing unless you know there is color there. Look for high benches (gravel deposits left high and dry after floods. Around and under boulders. When possible always dig for bedrock. Sometimes it is just too deep. By all means take those fellas up on their offer to tag along. There is no better way to learn than by doing.

Good Luck!!

BH Prospector

wally62us
    The river up there is a mess. At least in Mary Ellens gulch. That is where we go. They say the higher you go the chunkier the gold. But the road to the top is so bad, a 4 wheeler can barely make it up there. So we have just started at the bottom of Mary Ellens Gulch, and work our way up. There is no set path for the river when its is high. We have found flour gold almost everywhere we dig and sluice. There is no set rule to finding gold in that canyon. You will see what I mean if you go there. Bed rock is only about 1 foot away. And sometimes exposed. So you don't have to dig very far in some spots. And there is so much pyrite up there. It will drive you crazy. We were thinking about going next weekend. If I get my keene backpack dredge put together. The directions for assembly are a joke. Keene sure didnt put any time in directions. I am sure your sluice will work great. But me and my wife are rookies. So beware. We go a lot, and read all we can on gold prospecting. Wish I new as much as some of the people on this forum.

us
    Oct 2012
    Utah
    16 times
    Sounds like a challenging little canyon. I've lived here my whole life an never been up there, kind of a shame. This website is the reason I decided to give prospecting a try. Just thread after thread of knowledge an kind people. Can't wait to share my trips an pics with u all. Gonna go out a bit later again on the weber ... I know there has to be some color in that canyon.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1740 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Go visit Roger at the Prospector's Supply in Orem--he's a wealth of knowledge and he has a good selection of equipment too. I've stopped in to see him many times--he's a straight shooter.

All the best,

Lanny

I found this little video on him and it's very informative.
    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Oct 2012
    Utah
    16 times
    Ya I saw that video about a week ago. I'm bout an hour an a half drive away but I really wanna go there a check out his shop and bs.

us
    Jun 2005
    No. Utah
    whites xlt, Goldbug2,
    6 times
    Tomarrow eve Wensday at 7:00 P.M Nupa Northern Utah Prospectors will meet at the Elks Lodge on 975 No. Wall in Ogden. Come on over and sit in on the meeting! A lot of intersting folks and info.
    Kelly

us
    Sep 2011
    whites gold bug
    2 times
    the only problem about going up there this weekend is the american fork area is only open during a certian time for prospecting. July 1st through October 15th you will find this out on the permit for recreational prospecting.

us
    Oct 2012
    Box Elder County
    Bounty Hunter 202
    2 times
    Hello gents,
    I am new to this as well. I have been reading the post and sounds like a lot of great and help full people on here. I live in Brigham City and would be interested in tagin along and helping on a dig. I have done a little diggin up Willard and out by Snowville no luck yet. I made a hand dredge and have some pans. Working on getting a sluice. I am also working on getting a new metal detector. I have an old bounty hunter. I lave going out.

Brandon

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandx View Post
    Hello gents,
    I am new to this as well. I have been reading the post and sounds like a lot of great and help full people on here. I live in Brigham City and would be interested in tagin along and helping on a dig. I have done a little diggin up Willard and out by Snowville no luck yet. I made a hand dredge and have some pans. Working on getting a sluice. I am also working on getting a new metal detector. I have an old bounty hunter. I lave going out.

Brandon
    I hope someone gets back to you. Get out in those hills and have some fun. There's gold there for sure--I've got some of it.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Utduder View Post
    Ya I saw that video about a week ago. I'm bout an hour an a half drive away but I really wanna go there a check out his shop and bs.
    Take the time to go have a chat with him--he knows a lot, and if you make sure you've got the time to listen, you'll also learn a lot.

All the best,

Lanny

us
    Oct 2012
    Utah
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandx View Post
    Hello gents,

Brandon
    Well I think I'm gonna go up to Willard Canyon tomorrow and try my luck. How much have you poked around up there? I'm just gonna sample sample sample till I get color. I don't have much just a home made sluice an a pan. Is there enough water in the river for a sluice? I have never been up there. Your welcome to join me but I'm probably a bigger noob than you lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors