Strange stone....

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi everybody,

I found really strange stone during my last expedition for gold to the mountains.... It was in the creek and only his color, surface and shape brought my attention so I put it into my pocket. Later in the night at home I examined it and I found out that there are some kind of letters drawn into the stone, but no way some modern drawings, according to the visible texture it should have been there for millions of years. I can see there two "L" and one "H", or maybe "I". It is only on one side of the stone. There was no other similar stones around. I am curious to know your opinion..... I attached the photo of the stone to this post.

Best regards,
Lobo

Attachments

• IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    704.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no doubt that the stone may be millions of years old but (I believe) that man has only used written language for about 10,000 years. Nice pretty stone, either way. Tnx. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a typical specimen grade sample of solid color Jasper. The fractures are due to hydrothermal circulation as Jasper is formed from sedimentary material. Jasper is an opaque, microcrystalline, variety of quartz that is found in many colors and not as common to be found as a completely solid color such as your specimen

GG~

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why pay for a paperweight when you could use a cool stone like this?

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Thanks to all for your opinion...

TerryC, of course you are right.... If somebody did these letters, it could not be obviously millions of years ago......

Goodyguy, thanks for your answer. I will try to find out more about Jasper stone.

Best regards,
Lobo

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bobadilla. It is entirely possible, being the only stone in the area that looks like that is.... possibly it was a "treasured" item to somebody many years ago. That is to say... it is a pretty stone. Maybe someone many years ago thought the same as you.... and carried the stone till it was lost... where you found it. Sounds a little "corny" but a beautiful stone (to you) would be reason enough for someone to carry it around hundreds of years ago... putting it in the spot you picked it up. I just wonder..... TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting find!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions