🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Rush brings humor, while Jungle Gold offers darker look at mining | HULIQ

I think the locals are coming up with all different ways of siphoning off
Discovery Channels Cash :laughing7:

I had to laugh first show where they dug a ditch & charged a Toll :laughing9:

I think these guys are making the Hoffman's look like pros.

pretty sad when they have to go to town & buy & Flip some gold to make $$

Upvote 0

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing good can come from any of these shows.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it is a horrible show that is mostly scripted.

The Shaky, jerky camera shots are the same nauseating BS that those fake reality and low budget programs use to try to distract people and make things seem more exciting.

Also, the way the camera followed the guys as they got REAL with each other and laid out all of their problems and plans and idea's in a scripted way made it seem like a really bad CSI ep, which also has that crappy camera shake BS.

It is clear that this is just another one of those "Fake" reality TV shows impo.

This show makes Gold Rush look really good.

I guess I could have just said "No sir, I dont like it." but I felt that I had to ad more. :)

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Couldn't agree with more Neo, coming from an ex actor, that show is 95 percent scripted. The horrible writing with poor acting makes the show a joke. At least in gold fever the scenery is nice! Nothing against Africa, but I would rather be in Alaska.

If they do not find gold, the network will throw it their trommels for them!

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll watch it every week. It seems more scripted than Gold Rush (at least as far as how the American guys are) but I'm not watching it for the acting. Some of that stuff, like dealing with the locals and the Chinese miners, looks kinda crazy. Looking at the bigger picture, it's a glimpse in to what it might be like gold mining down there, I find it interesting. I'd pick mining in Alaska over Ghana any day though.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll watch it every week. It seems more scripted than Gold Rush (at least as far as how the American guys are) but I'm not watching it for the acting. Some of that stuff, like dealing with the locals and the Chinese miners, looks kinda crazy. Looking at the bigger picture, it's a glimpse in to what it might be like gold mining down there, I find it interesting. I'd pick mining in Alaska over Ghana any day though.

what I don't get, if the Chinese miners are allowed to have guns & fire them off when someone approaches,
why aren't they carrying weapons ?

or is it because in reality, the miners with guns & the gun shots were staged for the show ?
& the chinese Miners were very friendly ? after all it's not like anyone over there to mine needs to worry about other miners.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's so fake.. That blonde guy is such a meathead. Just makes us Americans look bad.

I wish Discovery would make a REAL gold show.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's so fake.. That blonde guy is such a meathead. Just makes us Americans look bad.

I wish Discovery would make a REAL gold show.

He reminds me so much of the fool from Bering Sea, that was always crying he had to pay his support or go to jail.
only difference no attitude yet

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
jeff of pa said:
He reminds me so much of the fool from Bering Sea, that was always crying he had to pay his support or go to jail.
only difference no attitude yet

Yes he does eh! Talking to a very seasoned prospector who goes to Nome every year and knows the crews well, he said "Scott, the jerk" is actually paid more to be a dick and create trouble which creates drama. In real life the guy is very mellow, and just a normal guy. This wouldn't suprise me in any way, since they are all actors/miners at this point. More rating means more cash for each role.

I still like the show and enjoy the thought of going to Alaska to prospect one day!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too much drama. Gold Rush has played it out also. Lets see some diggin, gold findin, big grinnin miners doing what they do best.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I agree with all the comments above. I will all however add my two cents. I have brought this up on other forums and will say the same thing here. I do not watch or support either of these shows. The money end of these shows comes from the Sierra Club, Earth First, Audubon Society and other affiliates. I and many others have already researched this over and over and if you watch or support these shows you are enabling the above clubs which are out to end mining in any fashion, anywhere. This is a political move. Why do you think they make the miners look so stupid ? Are we stupid ? Many people other than miners watch these shows and think we are all stupid based on what they watch and see. Just my opinion but I will not support their effort to get rid of me, or you. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Ughh Trinity, I hate to agree there, but you might be on to something there. Funding from networks does coming "sponsers", well at least alot of it..

This would be a shame if the peeps trying to shut us down are the ones making these gold shows to make us look like fools. Maybe! Hope not.. Nothing suprises me anymore especially when politics and money are involved eh..

Off topic but I have been pondering buying a share in a claim.. It's costly but anyway, someone told me to hold off for a year or two. He thinks that small scale miners might be getting their claims "takin away" from them in the next few years. F me! That would be soooooo wrong in so many ways. Not sure what to do.. Seems we are really getting backed into a corner here with rights. And sadly.. A bunch of miners might not be able to fight off the officials with very very deep pockets with judges on there team.. Cuz we all know that's politics.. Not votes.. Money..

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mellowyellow, I have not heard anything about the claim thing. I would think that would involve making substantial changes to the 1872 Mining Law. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Fair enough, well talk about this if there is any truth to this and on a different thread.. I hear so much "this that" on mining in CA... I just wish it was once positive. Junk I hear is always negative... Screw it I'm going to get ice cream and think happy thoughts :) :)

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hey trinity, it was cool to see you quoted in the fisher add, in the new gold prospect mag... Can I get an autograph! Hehe. You must be pretty darn good at swinging. I still have yet to find my patience for detecting. But I try.

Also, you got me thinking a bit. You stated these new shows are possibly being funded by back door groups... I'm going to look on line today for that and if you have any links or info can u send it as well? If there is truth to this, I'm sure people would like to know this. Thanks.

Reptisillious

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
I don't like it. I keep hearing how they need to feed their families and can't afford thousands of dollars in mortgages. Common sense tells me a helpful step would be to live within Your means. If they had, we probably wouldn't have to watch one, of what seems like a series of shows that that came off of something that made money from the original show. Something sells a little, then we get bombarded by a similar series of sloppy seconds shows...and thirds...and fourths.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like it. I keep hearing how they need to feed their families and can't afford thousands of dollars in mortgages. Common sense tells me a helpful step would be to live within Your means. If they had, we probably wouldn't have to watch one, of what seems like a series of shows that that came off of something that made money from the original show. Something sells a little, then we get bombarded by a similar series of sloppy seconds shows...and thirds...and fourths.

LOL Yea it's like Googles Spam service.
They look what your reading & decide for you that you need to
be spammed with more of the same :(

No sense of variety

JohnGalt

Nov 4, 2012
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they put Summer Glau in it, Jeff and I would both watch every episode.

Summer in Africa, .... sign me up as well! But the way it is ..... I just don't care for this show. What Trinity states in this post gives one something to think about as well. Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread