first snow in colfax

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brrrrr! Not sure how much longer the season will last with cold weather here... But thank god for the awesome summer! For me here in colfax the weather was warm and the water of the american cool and inviting. The gold was pretty good for me, as this was my first season in 5 or 6 years (mostly thsnks to yankeevicjim, thansk), the feiends and memories even better. Show some memorabke pics from this summer, I will try to find mine and post them as well.
Thanks for everything tnet!
Keis

Upvote 0

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Pictures man, pictures!!! Lol. Im looking forward to next season although im thinking about braving the winter.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input about the snow. I'm not surprised that it has finally started coming though I've known Novembers in NorCal where the days were nice and sunny and I could still go out and play. I even camped in a tent in Nov. and it was fine. The American is pretty country regardless of which fork one is on.

Robbor,
I've cross country skied/backpacked in NorCal and I can tell you that winter is not forgiving! Basically winter is very patient, it just is there till a mistake is made and then it closes in on those who are not prepared. In the winter the rivers are very cold so one does not last long if they fall in. If a heavy storm comes through roads become unusable quickly, tents can collapse and all sorts of good intentions turn to wishes that one had stayed home and if they are lucky they do make it back home. So be careful as the gold will still be there in the summer of 2013 and you want to be there as well.....63bkpkr

181_8139.JPG 181_8162.JPG 181_8170.JPG 182_8221.JPG 182_8294.JPG 183_8304.JPG 183_8315.JPG 183_8326.JPG 183_8341.JPG 184_8417.JPG

Now these are not 419's pictures but they give one an idea of what it can be like in NorCal but it is always heavy work, heck just look at the pack and you can tell it's work! I would not want to be in here in the winter!!

So 419 do you have pictures you can share??

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics 63bkpkr :)

Up here in Redding we had a hard Freeze this morning, still sunny though. :)

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found a building made of gold bricks..... And full of gold

Attachments

• image-3553003435.jpg
    image-3553003435.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 95

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow man you sure do pack in your share of equipment and it is worth the reall NICE gold you found, what is the first picture .Is it where the heavies dropped out of the fast current around the boulder above. Nice pictures thanks for all the photos and info. HH freddy

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Freddy,
When I first walked up on that "Gold" in the water my heart nearly stopped. Then I noticed the cubic shape and realized it was Iron Pyrite or fools gold. But it "shore looks purddy, don't it"!!!

'Terry C' once commented about my umm 'gear' that I bring in that someday he expected to see that I'd carried in a telephone booth. Some of it I leave in all year round though it is just out of sight. My typical backpack weight for a two week stay is 85 pounds and a touch more when I throw on the Keene A52. I've a duffel bag of heavy rock moving gear that requires a second trip back UP the mountain to the vehicle and back down into the canyon but I only bring that in After I've confirmed there is a good reason to bring in that extra sixty pounds.

The gold you see in the four pictures came from four different prospecting trips to the same location so it did not come easily or quickly but it was worth the experience as well as the adventure, I mean look at that late in the season campfire and oh it felt good! For 2013 I've four locations I want to get to but I will be hampered with a full time job so we will see what actually happens. I will be prepping for it all winter long with some heavy duty physical exercise as without the muscles these trips do not happen.

Neo, Hard freeze this morning! I kinda get a shiver down the back just recalling what hard freezes are like. Stay warm.

jffbrk - I would like to visit that place sometime. Their is a gambling place just out of California called the Nugget and they have quite a display of gold there.

419 WE are waiting for your pictures! Having folks help guide you along the way is really neat!
........63bkpkr

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread