Kentucky Gold

Nov 13, 2012
Louisville, KY
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greetings and thanks for reading my post! I'm a brand new prospector and member on thise site, and I'm in a real delima. After DVRing every episode of Gold Rush, Gold Fever, Alaskan, Bearing Sea Gold, Jungle Gold.... I've come to terms with the realization that I have gold fever!!! Being located in Louisville, KY however throws a damper in my gold prospecting enthusiasm. I've probably spent 50+ hours researching online and other sources (joined GPAA), but almost all evidence points to the idea that there just isn't any gold nearby, or in the entire state. I on the other hand refuse to belive this! Or at least hope that everyone else is wrong and there is at least some small scale gold to be found. Right now I'm using very basic techniques like screening and panning. Here's where I'm begging for you're help:

1. Where is the closest place to Louisville, KY that I can prospect at with at least a decent chance of finding some color? Closer the better!
2. Can I rely on all the info I've read that says there's no gold being washed down the Ohio River and potentially setteling near Louisville? What about places like the Falls of the Ohio??
3. What key signs should I look for that may indicate good places for gold to be found in creeks? Geographical features, water depth, river bends...

Thanks a ton guys and I truly look forward to any advice or tips you have for me!

Upvote 1

pedroliveira

Feb 16, 2010
Louisville,Ky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its funny that u posted this... im doing the same thing and im located in the same area. Also, someone posted an ad on craigslist from mt washington and they have 2oz of gold for sale. i message the guy and he said it was found in the state...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since the damning of the Ohio River, you are looking at several feet of silt. Also the river is dredged regularly too. Look at the Glaciers and the direction the ran in several thousand years ago. Expect fine gold, and not very much of it. You may try small creeks or streams, dig down as far as its safe to do so. You may wish to plan a trip to a gold bearing region. If there was any gold bearing mines, a simple search could help locate and old or abandoned mines. Your best luck is some of the gold that was lost or buried in the state by others. Good Luck.

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would have much better luck if you just go north into Indiana. Do some research on glacial activity in the mid west. Lots of info out there about Indiana gold...

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kentucky,
Welcome to the Net. Unfortunately you live in one of two states gold has never been commercially mined, Hawaii being the other, so there are not any "goldfields" or old mines you can research. That is not to say there isn't gold in Kentucky, Tom Masse found gold there, it's just not very plentiful. The GPAA mining guide should help in locating a club near you who can stear you in the right direction. I live west of the Missouri River in gold country and am not that familiar with your state so this is all I can offer for advice.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Hey Kentucky I mean no disrespect to all the great people and places in the east. But in the immortal words of Sam Kinison " move to where the food is". Maybe then with all the like minded people we could create some rational regulations in this bass akwards state of California . Gold luck. I guess I should get going or you'll find more than me even with my geographic edge.

Feb 15, 2014
Bowling Green
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Warren County just north of Bowling Green. I have found a spot where I just believe there is gold... there has to be some small amount all the signs are there. Tons of washed white quartz, black sand, creeks, and bed rock. I have yet to find it, but I have only begun. Having said that I do think I have a couple of pieces of quartz that appears to have very fine flakes of gold in it. I just have to get a mortar and pestle to crush it up. Also Tom Massie had an episode of Gold Fever in Caneyville, KY (where he is actually from!) and found gold! It was not a lot, but as he always says where there is a little there's a lot. It is just a question of where and how much time and patience you want to put into it. Also... having said that Kentucky is only one of two states where gold has never been mined commercially, the other is Hawaii. I do not think (unless you are up north near the Ohio border) finding nuggets is not going to happen, but then you never know.
The things I have learned and read about say that gold in Kentucky is very, very fine... like the grain of salt fine...but it IS here! I just have to believe there is! I have found gold in "gem bags" from a local tourist trap...not much, but I found some. Ever check out Home Depot? Sluice out a couple of bags of general construction sand...you might be surprised! Happy Hunting.... Detecting Addict!!!:icon_thumright:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heres an idea, when the airports open up after this ice age breaks, fly to california, theres still gold here btw.:thumbsup:but leave your dredge at home.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can find gold in the extreme north eastern part of Kentucky as glacier terminal moraines ended near the Ohio river.
Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc have documented finds and I'm sure a little would be found in KY wherever a glacier ended.
I know you said KY but I've heard the same for Ohio which has been commercially mined 2 times in the 1800s in Clermont county near Cincinnati. One mine was called the John Allen mine but the mine never made any real money as they were hard rock mining glacial deposits.
Also the details of each mine are very foggy but I have consistently heard that one of the mines was able to find cover operating costs but again just rumor.
As far as Hawaii goes it boggles my mind that Hawaii has not been seriously considered. It is highly volcanic which is a key process in bringing gold, diamonds and other minerals to the surface. I took a trip some time back to Puerto Vallarta and walked on a black sand beach. I didn't think there was anything there but for shits and giggles I scooped up some sand in a bottle and agitated it and sure enough there was a lot of powder gold.
Hawaii had black sand beaches too...

Back to my point there is gold in glaciated states and more then most people would believe.
Check out Midwest prospector website to see what chuck has been able to locate here and don't give up!
True that gold is not in your states geology so hard rock deposits are highly unlikely but glacial deposits are another story. It's not all powder gold either...
You just keep looking for that pay and let the nay-Sayers say.
image.jpg

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of hard rock glacial gold or mining? isn't hard rock mining being that gold is still locked up in rock or quartz? Unless they were mining hard rock that was left by the glaciers that was still holding gold in them but it would seem most of the gold in those locations would already be free from the rock by the glacial activity. Some of those old stories were people salting their land hoping to sell for a big profit to unsuspecting people as well.

Last edited:

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I meant they they were trying to hard rock mine in error.
Placer mining is what they should have been doing

Kartkimg22

Feb 1, 2022
Greetings and thanks for reading my post! I'm a brand new prospector and member on thise site, and I'm in a real delima. After DVRing every episode of Gold Rush, Gold Fever, Alaskan, Bearing Sea Gold, Jungle Gold.... I've come to terms with the realization that I have gold fever!!! Being located in Louisville, KY however throws a damper in my gold prospecting enthusiasm. I've probably spent 50+ hours researching online and other sources (joined GPAA), but almost all evidence points to the idea that there just isn't any gold nearby, or in the entire state. I on the other hand refuse to belive this! Or at least hope that everyone else is wrong and there is at least some small scale gold to be found. Right now I'm using very basic techniques like screening and panning. Here's where I'm begging for you're help:

1. Where is the closest place to Louisville, KY that I can prospect at with at least a decent chance of finding some color? Closer the better!
2. Can I rely on all the info I've read that says there's no gold being washed down the Ohio River and potentially setteling near Louisville? What about places like the Falls of the Ohio??
3. What key signs should I look for that may indicate good places for gold to be found in creeks? Geographical features, water depth, river bends...

Thanks a ton guys and I truly look forward to any advice or tips you have for me!
Seems that many people think that gold in Kentucky doesn't exist. I have facts from a gentleman that found gold in Kentucky. He was searching for geodes to sell to rock collectors while in the military for extra cash when he found what he thought was iron pyrite. He gave his friend a few quarter sized nuggets to his friend for his kids. His friend contacted him years later and asked if he remembered where they were when he found this "iron pyrite". Turned out that this iron pyrite quarter sized nuggets were 80% gold and 20% copper. He told me about some of the details of the area but doesn't know exactly where he found this. They were just looking for geodes and just happened upon this site. He also told me that this iron pyrite was just falling out of the banks of the creek and he only kept a few pieces because he was told that there was no gold in Kentucky as well at that time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread