Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been looking at a few threads about filing claims or filed claims closing off land, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the White Mountains National Forest in New Hampshire, either doesn't allow claims to be filed or makes it impossible to file claims.

Does anyone have any information on this?

I know tons of people prospect Tunnel River in the WMNF and there is good gold there, what a spot to claim!

Upvote 0

GoldHunter24k

Nov 9, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great Question! I'm from about an hour south of the WMNF and before researching and getting into CA prospecting, I had no idea that there was gold up there! I'd be interested in if claims were allowed as well. Maybe someone can check the L2000 to see if there are any claims up there and then you could get in touch with the owner and see what he had to do?

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in LR 2000 for NH i saw only 2 counties listed. Grafton and Carroll.

johnnysau

GoldHunter24k

Nov 9, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grafton?! Dang! I used to have a little cabin up in Grafton right on the river. Never occurred to me to test for gold. Porch hung about 5 feet over the bank and I could drop lines right down into the river :) mmm tasty NE trout

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saorry I don't believe you can file claims in the National forests for even placer operations unless the rules have change you can pan and I think maybe do sluicing but don't get caught with a DETECTOR OR DREDGE i KNOW THAT FROM EXPERIENCE they can take your equipment and fine you. I believe you also have to let the rangers know you are in the area. Some rangers may even let you do a little dredging but I don't think so. This is a interesting subject

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
freddy
don't mind not being able to file a claim, it means no one can file one to stop me panning. I know in the WMNF they enforce the 36 inch sluice length and handtools only. They allow detecting if very limited areas, picnic grounds, certain beaches and little else.

I talked to the Rangers at the Saco station and they said you can pan and sluice without having to notify them, they post the rules on their website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread