Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I wrote a letter to the parks department about the state forests asking if I could rock-hound, and collect rocks, in the state forests, I didn't mention prospecting or gold panning.
They finally got back to me today, they said it is not allowed and referred me to section 12.11 of the state park rules that says you can only metal detect on beaches of course it also says you cannot remove anything from the parks so I guess it is catch and release for pull tabs and coins.

It does say in section 4 the Director can issue a special use permit, I may apply for one and see what they do.

RESPONSE
Thank you for contacting DCR. It is not allowed.

I would suggest you look at our regulations, specifically 304 CMR 12.11.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/legal/downloads/3041200.pdf

You can also reach out to USGS to find other possible areas.
The OMSG - Geology Resources and Geologic Maps and Data for Massachusetts

12.11: Damage to Buildings, Signs and Other Property; Metal Detectors; Geological Features and Artifacts
(1) A person shall not damage or remove any Department property real or personal.
304 CMR: DIVISION OF FORESTS AND PARKS
5/28/99 304 CMR - 56
12.11: continued
(2) No person shall erect any structure, other than camping equipment erected in designated
campsites, without the express written consent of the Director.
(3) No person shall use or offer for use metal detectors on Department property except at the
discretion of the Area Supervisor on designated swimming beaches and designated campsites.
(4) The Director may issue a special use permit authorizing archaeologically-related or
geologically-related activities.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread