174 lbs of BAD NEWS!

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate your view on this and I agree with your last bit there. I dont get too winded in my explanations but I understand your view. I don't have you confused with anyone else, I understood your disagreement and just restated my view. I feel sorry for all the legislation califs have to deal with, Never knowing what had been passed this week and trying to remember what was passed over the last 50 yrs would be too much for me. Seems like everything that is done in Calif is some sort of Felony. Leaves you guys stuck with the short end. I took the time to read a good many of your posts and you are the type of guy that I get along with and I don't have a problem here. You know how fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics anyway. " at the end of the day your still a ******" LOL, I understand not wanting to kill just for the sport. That lust faded with time too. The Idea of a cat having the lack of fear of humans enough to come crawling up on us is a little too much for me though and I think it is unfair to say we arent the top of the food chain. I know you are going to have a good season as well and I have one question for you. Does the forum go dead during the summer months? Lol

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
733760_10200791432605733_88188174_n.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I need to clarify that I held an outfitters license for 11 years in Montana(Until the wolves put me out of business)and.please dont throw everybody that lives in Calif. under the bus...thats pure BS.I came here because I love working with lions and this state has more than any....and it was a guaranteed paycheck....do I hate what people have done to this state?You bet you azz....but tell me a state they dont have their claws in.The way I see it,we need to completely quit killing all predators in this state....for any reason and just let these pukes see how it is...see how their theory about"They were here first",works

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing with their forest "hands off" theories and their "wild rivers" theory. The elite will have big chunks out their .sses if this all plays out. Can you see the the rivers, devoid of reservoirs, in Calif. and the West running dry especially in prolonged drought
conditions? And the forest fires in continuing drought? Not pretty.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When they outlawed the use of foothold and conibear traps I quit trapping. It was
a sad day, as most of the trappers in the state weren't about to get into live trapping
beaver in the winter (which I consider cruel treatment).

Very next season I had 4 landowners that I had done trapping for call me up and
ask when I'd be out there way. Had to tell them all that with the law changes
I had hung up my traps for good, and they needed to contact the WDFG and
ask. FWIW, Beaver are very prone to catching colds and other sicknesses when
stuck in one position out in the cold/rain/snow, and rather than just being "dead", they
now have to sit and freeze till someone comes and shoots them. IMO there is no
honor in treating an animal that way.

A year later the state offers to pay me for doing nuisance trapping, and can't understand
why I refuse. If I trap for them, they get the pelts and carcasses and then toss them
out. What a waste of a resource, especially when the trappers used to do that for free,
and the animals life didn't end up wasted..instead becoming a critical garment for those living
in the cold of the far north.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Could be, I did not take it. Then again, how do you know for sure?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they outlawed the use of foothold and conibear traps I quit trapping. It was
a sad day, as most of the trappers in the state weren't about to get into live trapping
beaver in the winter (which I consider cruel treatment).

Very next season I had 4 landowners that I had done trapping for call me up and
ask when I'd be out there way. Had to tell them all that with the law changes
I had hung up my traps for good, and they needed to contact the WDFG and
ask. FWIW, Beaver are very prone to catching colds and other sicknesses when
stuck in one position out in the cold/rain/snow, and rather than just being "dead", they
now have to sit and freeze till someone comes and shoots them. IMO there is no
honor in treating an animal that way.

A year later the state offers to pay me for doing nuisance trapping, and can't understand
why I refuse. If I trap for them, they get the pelts and carcasses and then toss them
out. What a waste of a resource, especially when the trappers used to do that for free,
and the animals life didn't end up wasted..instead becoming a critical garment for those living
in the cold of the far north.
...try depending on that trap to do your job....and having several hundred out...and your boss calling you and telling ya to have em pulled in three days and dont reset them!!

also....they say us trappers are heart less?How many of them would care about a beaver getting a cold?I still say the most cold blooded people on Gods Green earth are the monsters that euthanize dogs at the pound

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:,Az Viper(Who knows his stuff too)went round and round about an Arizona kitty he posted on here,that I thought was Photo shopped too...as anybody knows there are various tricks in taking a picture to make it look bigger....if ya know what a few are you pick em out right away....I dont know much about Photo shop,other than some people are darn good with it....heck there is a picture floating around the net of a guy with an elk,and a lion right behind him...its P.Shopped......I have/had a picture of a woman holding a small child in a city park in L.A......un beknownst to her and her husband..crouched in the bushes was a lion(This was long before Photo shop)....anyway.....the cat above is a large Tom no doubt(Look at his ears...they almost look like they come out the side of his head...he is what we used to call a "Punkin Head",cause his head looks like a pumpkin...lions are judged by the size of the head....I have seen big bodied lions with small heads(Younger prime cats)and vice a versa...seen a lion one time that had a small body and the absolute biggest head I had ever seen..it was rediculous......upon closer inspection it had a dog collar on its neck!!Poor thing was about strangled to death!Long story on that one but that cat got that collar put on him over 300 miles from where we treed him....anyway.....not sure whats going on with that picture....its a big cat no doubt,but its body is not as big as it looks...imho.....Looks like a Canada cat to me...they are built like that short stocky...cantankerous too!!

Graycloud....I beleive it was you looking for this pic?I know who took this pic(who set the game cam)this is not good....this is very abnormal....this is Calif...where they are supposedly Threatened(not hardly)You would not see this anywhere but in Cali....now the onslaught of Gay jokes....I know
download-4.jpg

bigcat3.jpg

Last edited:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Kuger, The photo I saw was a little different than this one, however it was a night shot I believe it was posted in the Orrivlle news paper. The photo was suppose to have been taken just west of town, out by the boat landing. Is your photo part of that same group of shots?
PS, When I get back out there, will look you up and break bread over a good steak.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was taken outside San Luis Obispo :icon_thumright:

The second one I took......have many
I would love to do that my friend :occasion14:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
carry a large stash of catnip and a live rabbit

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I've heard stories in Arizona about cougars running in packs too. One or two lions is a nightmare, but a dozen ??? OMG ! You'd need an M-60 machine gun. Heard yesterday the late snows and coming drought this year are really gonna stress predators out. Prospectors better be on their guard and keep their gun handy. How big do they get ? I remember one that came up from Mexico into Texas back in the 70's. That bad boy was around 225 pounds of PURE EVIL. He was taking down Heffer bulls like he was swattin flies. I was absolutely TERRIFIED when it came around.. so was my german shepard. He was finally shot, but he was a mad stealthy hombre. Most times, he didn't even leave tracks. Just alot of blood on the ground. Most of his attacks were made on moonless nights. Pitch black outside.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heaviest lion on record was killed by Teddy Roosevelt in Colo. and it weighed 227 lbs.............there is so much mythical,BS about lions....cracks me up

there is some dispute about it and another

Theodore Roosevelt set the state record for the largest mountain lion killed in Colorado more than 100 years ago, but that record was surpassed in January 2002 after the kill of possibly an even larger mountain lion.

The 2001 mountain lion was killed in December just northwest of Pagosa Springs. The lion weighed 220 pounds before being field dressed or gorged and was 8 feet from nose to tail. The final Boone and Crockett score was 16 0/16, which beat the previous record of 15 12/16 set by Roosevelt in 1901.

The mountain lion that Roosevelt killed in February 1901 northwest of Meeker was said to weigh 227 pounds. “This is a reputed weight because it’s not known whether it was gorged or field dressed when it was weighed,” said Dick Ray, the outfitter who was on the hunt for the 2001 mountain lion.

The Boone and Crockett score, which measures the size of the animal’s head, was larger with the 2001 mountain lion, but the weight of the two animals begs the question of which one was larger. “That’s something we’ll never know,” Ray said, “but one thing is certain – they were both huge animals.”

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread