Looking for old Lucky Strike members

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About four years ago I was a member of the Lucky strike gold club and was wondering if there were any old members on this site? After the owner died it was broken up. His wife still has all the claims but I don't know if she would let anyone in. The time I spent up there was great. Gentry gulch, Hasloe gold mine, Banderita gold mine, Bull creek, North fork of the Merced river. I still believe I have found the old Lovely Rogers Mine site. The club had Lots of claims in and around the Coulterville area. I still go to the upper claim on Blacks creek once in awhile and have had good luck there. It is just so far for a day trip. Al the owner was a vast book of knowledge on the area and on gold mining itself. He worked the Hasloe mine up about 1997 or so and you can still find gold and quartz pieces in some of the old piles that he took out of the mine. We would often trek around the area and stumble on old mines, old ancient rivers and a lot of old mining equipment: Stamps, crushers, cams drill bits no telling what is up there. It's like stepping back in time. It is a very peaceful and quite place to go because you are so far back in the canyon. I would like to post some pic if someone could help me with that. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a couple of clubs up in that area. Coarselgold Prospectors have a claim at Bonnell Gulch just past Bull Creek, The new Mariposa 49ers have some claims up that way. There are a couple of others as well, but I can't remember their names. Central Valley Prospectors are in Fresno as well. You might also try UPI, many in the Coarsegold club member belong and use their Bull Creek claims...http://www.unitedprospectors.com/
www.coarsegoldprospectors.com

Last edited:

nukeproof

Sep 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was part of some of those claims. I been to the back of the banderita mine and know how to contact Patty who is the claims owner now ...facebook me or something maybe I can help Rob Sandberg Modesto California

OP
OP
P

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry Rob, for not responding to your post, thanks for the information. I had a battle with cancer and haven't been on this site in a very long time. My last trip to Coulterville was in 2008. I remember there is an old river channel at the confluence of gentry gulch and the north fork of the Merced river. I saw some very nice size gold nuggets come from the channel. The channel it's self is about five feet high and ten feet wide. I miss the prospecting and dredging we did on Ham coward gulch, Gentry gulch,north fork of the merced, and it's several small tributaries and Bull creek. Then work took over and now it has taken it's toll on my body. I sold ALL my gold mining equipment and the three metal detector's but have never lost the "Gold Fever"! Now it's down to watching the gold shows on the boob tube and day dreaming about the fun times we had. Thanks for taking down memory lane.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a friend that I'd visit several summers that lived about a mile away from the abandoned Smith Station. Great area. Here's a bit of information https://www.unitedprospectors.com/outings.html and be sure to note the info about Old Priest Rd. and New Priest Rd. I don't recommend hauling a full load of cedar rounds down Old Priest in a "push-button automatic" 1963 Dodge truck with marginal brakes. I always wanted to go up to that area again and check out the claims on Ned Gulch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread