Newbie - Looking to buy personal Mining Equipment

jfymine

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a area that has a decent amount of dry washes with specks of gold in the wash. I am looking to purchase equipment that allows me to pan for the gold in the washes (I will be bringing my own water in large containers with my ATV). I found this lot of gold mining equipment on a classified site:

Is that a good deal for the equipment? Is it what I need?

Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Terry Soloman said:
You need a good Drywasher AZ Desert Gold and a good recirculaing sluice when it is to wet to use the drywasher Highbanker - Gold Buddy Mini Recirculating Sluice

Terry said it, get a good dry washer, also check out the Keene dry washers. Very good products.
I would stick with that for now and see how u like it. If u catch the fever than buy a recirculator.

Let us know! Thanks
Mellow

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would start simple.. I bet you can find almost all you need to get started in your garage.. depending on the type of prospecting you intend do.. My supplies consist of spoons,screwdrivers,crowbar,shovel,sluice, hammer. I build my own classifiers as they get broken easy and at 20 bucks a pop it gets old. Also I would give thought to how much time You plan on prospecting.. A good friend of mine recently bought blue bowl, High banker and some other nice peices of equipment.. Ive yet to see them used enough to warrant a purchase. And I also suggest using the equipment before purchase as most gold mining equipment beining sold right now has no practical use..

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Mad Marshall has made some good points. Try to save as much $$$ as u can. And yes, with the gold boom in effect, a lot of new products out there that are not efficient. I live close to pat Keene and buy most of my gear there. A bit more expensive but very good practical products. I have yet to ever have any issues with any of my engines, high banker, dry washers ect... I also take very good care of them and service them prob way too much :) Keene is a 4th generation business and mining family, a lot of time and actual experience went Into developing his products. Go big or go home, but don't listen to me. I spend money like it grows on trees. Lol. Maybe that's why I'm broke !!! Hahahah

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Mad Marshall - did you ever make it to the recorders office? If so, care to share? Thanks

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jfymine be sure to get some dust masks to go with the dry washer...protect your lungs!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of different opinions, as many as there are sellers of equipment. I would start with the recirculator. Buy a Jobe Highbanker and the required tub(s). That is a Jobe (mine) that TimC and Supafly123 are using in their recent video. Recirculator can be used rain or shine, dry or wet soil. The sluice can also be dismounted and put in a stream. TTC

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what Terry said. When you're starting out you want to try to be versatile. After 22 years of mining I have a mining company in my garage.
Home built and store-bought. If you go to my profile you can see albums pictures of mining gear. when you're out there working in digging, sluicing, dry washing, you start looking for ways to be more efficient to suit your style. Included watching YouTube videos on panning because once you get the concentrates, panning is your last step. You may not see a speck of gold until you get to the bottom of the pan. and before you start working a spot, be sure you do a good test panning before you commit to major digging. After being on this board for a couple of months now, I'm starting to favor the bazooka sluice. But that's for only if you have running water to mine with. I haven't tried a bazooka yet, but the word around here and the videos I've seen, have convinced me it works better than a standard riffle box sluice. When it comes to dry washers, I still trust my Keene. It may be 20 years old. I bought it used seven years ago for $100. It still runs like a champ. the good news is you don't have to re-invent the wheel. There are a lot of good products out there. You may start out like I did, a pan, a bucket, a shovel, and a cement mixing tub from Home Depot to pan in where water was scarce. It's also known as a safety tub for when you're panning out your concentrates. If you hang around here for too long you'll get the gold fever good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jfymine

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A Lot of feedback here. I GREATLY appreciate it! It will take me some time to digest it all and figure out a plan of attack. I am assuming then starting off with a spend of $1200 is a bad move? That guy on the website is asking $1200 for the whole lot of equipment. Is it a good deal for someone who is not a newbie? When in my prospecting carerr would I be "interested" in a deal like that?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm actuallualy headed to the recorders office this Monday. I've been making a list of questions and information, I want to be as prepared. My brother is joking that they are goining to make me make an appointment..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jfymine, I visited the add you are talking about. Difficult to say if you are getting a deal i.e., the blowers may already be part of the Dry washer... the sub pumps may be part of the mini-higbankers... and the homemade rocker may never be used. Also, I have never heard of #16 or #14 mesh classifiers. I have #12 and #20. Maybe I missed a manufacturor, but i don't remember 16 or 14. Ask some more questions of the seller. We'll help you out. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread