Quartz Vein

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want u guys thoughts on what looks like a ventilatin shaft and a quartz vein I found right on the surface near a hard rock mine..doesn't look like it has ever been touched!!

ForumRunner_20121211_154751.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121211_154853.png
    ForumRunner_20121211_154853.png
    700.5 KB · Views: 907
  • ForumRunner_20121211_155039.png
    ForumRunner_20121211_155039.png
    645.9 KB · Views: 578
  • ForumRunner_20121211_155117.png
    ForumRunner_20121211_155117.png
    726.3 KB · Views: 3,955
Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay, chip some out, crush it up real fine.
Then put it up a pan and pan it.
And let us know.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ill do that..but how rare is it to find a vein rt on the surface like that untouched and so close to a hr mine??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Quartz veins are all over. If it wasn't worked , prob for a reason but you NEVER know. Crush some f that material and pan it out and you might have some fly pop. Pretty cool if there was gold right there. Good luck, let us know!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did anything sound off in the general area with your Garrett?

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not directly on the vein,but in the past rt in the same area found a solid quartz tailing pile and my AT Gold hit on something..dug down about a foot and found large quartz piece with very nice mineralization and a side covered in pyrite..had bluish purple colors near the pyrite embedded in the quartz.Think there is a pic of that piece in one of my older posts.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you chip some of the quartz out,take some of the surrounding "country rock"," contact rock",or clay as well

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kuger,ill definitely do that..just waiting for my next day off from my uneventful "real job" to get back out there and see what I can find!!!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you took that home because that is a really nice chunk, even if its not gold. :D

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol..oh yea,its sitting in my makeshift display case!!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Do you see the green staining? And the tell tale purple iridescent common of bornite? Those two things just scream copper sulfides to me. But of course there could be gold there as well. And looking at the country rock it appears to be a gneiss of some kind. Try to sample the quartz vein in a couple spots, but especially where it is pinched down the thinnest before opening back up. Good luck and let us know what you find. Soon as I am feeling better (got some kind of stomach bug at the moment) I will be posting another crushing quartz video and showing gold recovered.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool, so many people ignore pyrite chunks but I take them home too. :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astro, get well, take care of yourself, hope you feel better soon and various other honest greetings and wishes hoping your health will improve!

Tridge800,
There are so many different possibilities involving the area in your pictures and all of them spell Adventure in the making. The quartz, the iron pyrite, the coloration's, the fact your location is near/on/above or in the vicinity of an historical working gold mine all show signs of possibilities afoot. As indicated by others take some samples of the quartz in various places (wear safety glasses and gloves and keep little children protected from flying rock chips or chisels) along with some of the nearby dirt which could have rotted off of the quartz deposit and see what you can find in all of this. Also you've a detector that will find gold, use it slowly in passing over the ground around there and listen closely. Do you have a test sample to use with your detector, a small piece of lead or gold would also work? They come in handy out in the field just to get oneself back in tune to what they need to listen for.

Good Luck and please keep us updated........63bkpkr

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks 63bpkr, and thanks to everyone for your input.I plan on going bk to that spot on my next day off to try and get some samples.Unfortunately I don't have a gold sample large enough for my MD to pick up,but hopefully I may after breaking some of this stuff up,which leads me to my next question.I don't have any rock crushing equipment to break this material down small enough to be able to pan out, and don't have the tools to really build anything too extravagant..so I need some suggestions in this department!!

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Oh you're going to get suggestions. And if you like solving puzzles you're going to have fun even if there's not much gold but I think there is. Enjoy the hunt.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just broke some quartz up using a larger bench mounted vise, it is slow going but it does break it up. The quartz also shatters and tends to go everywhere so keep a towel over it to help control it.

TerryC showed a method where he has about a 2' length of about 4" I.D. steel pipe with a about 1/4" plate/foot pad welded to the pipe. He loads about a handful of sample to be crushed into the pipe and then drops about a 1" O.D. steel rod into it as a crusher. Sort of like a one man stamp mill or an "about mill".

oldbrundogg called it, here come the ideas...........63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
el cheapo works also and no welding-3" pipe flat on cement floor-insert a 2 1/2 pipe with a end cap-screw on style- and smash bash till your hearts content-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread